Valor Southern Caribbean review with pictures and Fun Times - better late than never

pghsteelerfan

We were on this cruise the week after you. We also stayed at the Courtyard Isle Verde. Your pictures are so similar to mine, I feel like I am back there. Loving this review so far!!

I remember reading your review and LOVED it and I relived our vacation through your review. I sure wish I could go back. Oh, I hope you don't mind, but in the first part of my review your review was one of the ones I recommended for anyone leaving on a Valor cruise before I can finish this one. I'd love to go again.

IMG_4874.jpg

We were looking for the spot where you can get a picture of the ship from the fort. We could see Carnival Valor, well, we could see her “whale tail” but that was it. It turns out that view is over at the other fort, Castillo de San Cristobal. We walked over to Castillo de San Cristobal and found the spot, got our pictures then started the downhill walk to get back onboard Valor.

100_6221.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

100_6220.jpg

We hit a few souvenir shops on the way back so I could look for a Christmas ornament. A friend of mine asked me before we left if I could get her an ornament from each port we went to. She had been to all the places previously but didn’t start collecting the ornaments until recently. I thought that was a great idea because we didn’t want to load up with large items in the first place and ornaments are small, don’t weigh much and don’t take up a lot of room. I never saw an ornament or anything that could pass for one. It was hot, we were thirsty and it was time to get back on Valor and time for another Funship Special. Before getting back on board, I got a few pictures of Valor docked in San Juan.

100_6225.jpg

I had to get a picture of the large, inflatable frog on top of Senor Frogs

IMG_4877.jpg

I remember reading your review and LOVED it and I relived our vacation through your review. I sure wish I could go back. Oh, I hope you don't mind, but in the first part of my review your review was one of the ones I recommended for anyone leaving on a Valor cruise before I can finish this one. I'd love to go again.

Don't mind at all!

When we got back on Valor, we went to the cabin and dropped our stuff off then headed to the Lido Deck for a Funship Special then went down to the cabin and got ready for dinner. We had the late seating (8:15PM) for dinner in the Washington Dining room, but on the first night all dining is open seating from 5:30PM – 8:30PM. We were ready for dinner and went down at about 7:00PM and were at a table with several others. Next to me was a couple from England, next to DH was a gal from the Bahamas, and two other gals who were on their very first cruise. We had a great time and really enjoyed talking with the others. Between dinner and desert they come around with a tray of cordial liquors that are served in a Carnival shot glass that you get to keep. Just like any other drink, it isn’t free and charged to the S&S card. Tonight was the B52 (Kahlua, Bailey’s Irish Cream and either Amaretto or Grand Marinier), which I got. I’ve had B52’s before, they are really good and I definitely recommend them. There are four different colors of Carnival cordial “shot” glasses: clear, green, blue, and yellow. That night they were served in the clear one. We finished dinner at 8:30PM and planned to get off the ship and get a night picture of Carnival Valor all lit up but it was raining with not much time left so we went to the cabin and hung out on our balcony. When we got to our cabin, our towel animal a seal (or one of the “naughty” animals) was on our turned down bed with the next day’s Fun Times and chocolates. While on the balcony, we overheard our next door neighbors saying they could see stingrays so we went to look and were able to see them. I tried getting pictures but they didn’t come out. I was able to get a few pictures of Old San Juan all lit up at night.

When we returned from dinner, the next day's Fun Times and our "naughty" towel animal

100_6228.jpg

Pictures of San Juan at night from our balcony

100_6229.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

As 9:30 approached, they started the announcements for the muster drill, so we made our way down to our muster station. The muster drill started timely at 9:30 and was over by 10:00 and right after that we went up to the Mega Sail Away Deck party, which started at 10:15PM. We took the stairs up to the Lido deck and got a “Funship Special” then went to the Panorama Deck 10 for a better view. We could feel the excitement as the music was cranked and our cruise director (Jacques) was getting everyone into the party mode. Soon the pilot boats approached and finally we could tell that Valor was backing away from the dock. Lido Deck 9 around the Argonaut pool (mid-ship) and in the Seaside theater area and Panorama Deck 10, right above, were packed and everyone was having a great time. Yes, the music IS loud, but that was part of the fun. I will admit I don’t think it would be fun if I was living or staying in Old San Juan and trying to sleep, but being on the ship during sail away, we were definitely into it. Carnival Valor was instantly transformed into a floating party and we enjoyed every minute of it. We stayed up on Panorama deck 10 for the better views of Old San Juan and Fort El Morro as we sailed away but were also able to see all of the fun and dancing just below us on the Lido deck. We stayed up there until Valor was past Fort El Morro and out in the ocean then went down for one more Funship Special, which we took to our cabin to have on our balcony. We finally called it a night when those were finished since it was almost 1:00AM. The deck party, which was basically right above us (remember, our cabin was right below the tables along the windows at the Argonaut Pool bar), was quickly winding down. We were afraid that the noise from the party would keep us up, but once we got into bed we had no problems sleeping.

Pictures of the Mega Sail Away Party and of San Juan as Valor was leaving:

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

The cruise pier that Valor just left

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Thank you. I didn't think I'd have time to do a review, but after reading other reviews that I'm sure have taken people a lot of time to do, I decided to make time and share mine for others.

Yes, I have never done a review before but I can tell its hard work posting here and answering questions for other cruisers ;)... I get so happy when people come to Puerto Rico and enjoy their stay here..... Did you know the government cleaned "El Morro" with water pressure machines and damaged the Morro...it took the old look away that was so beautiful to me, I was so sad. So now the new pictures that will be here on CC will have a clean Morro :( BTW, loving those pics can't wait for more!!!:D

Great detailed review so far , we did this same itinerary last year on the victory , and we are doing it again this time on the valor in 2 weeks

This is one itinerary we really wanted to do. We did a similar one for our first cruise on Carnival's Festivale in 1992. The islands were the same except that we'd gone to Dominica and Martinique and St. Lucia and St. Kitts were new for us. I loved the itinerary then and wanted to do it again and we were thinking that we'd be on Victory but Valor took her place for that itinerary. What did you think of Victory? I really think you'll love Valor - beautiful ship. I'd love to do this same cruise again.

Im loving your review! We will be back on the Valor in just 23 days! (The first time was in 2011). Im so excited for these ports and your pictures are amazing and making me even more excited! =)

Thank you! On our last time on Valor did you do the Western or Eastern? We did the Eastern on Glory (same class as Valor) in May 2010. When we were in Miami, Valor was also there and doing the Western. I'd heard that Valor and Glory alternated Eastern and Western on the Sunday sailings.

I took so many pictures on this cruise. We did a similar cruise for our honeymoon in 1992 but all I had was a film camera, so I didn't get as many pictures as I'd like to have had. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the itinerary at all - I think it's one of the best. I'm hoping to have this finished by the time you leave for your cruise and I hope you have a wonderful time.

Great Review so far, we leave in a little over a week to go on the Valor. I have a question about your St Martin excursion, Who did you use? can you give a website? We were thinking about Pinel.

Thanks!

We used SXM Deals. Their website is: http://www.st-maarten.com/index.php/recommended-activities-water2/sxm-deals1

I'll get into more details about our day with them in St. Martin, but I don't know if I'll have this finished before you leave. To sum it up, I highly recommend them. They are very organized and have set times to assure you will be back at the ship with time to spare. Great communication and very friendly people. Pinel Island is BEAUTIFUL!!! If you go there, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

We used SXM Deals. Their website is: http://www.st-maarten.com/index.php/recommended-activities-water2/sxm-deals1

I'll get into more details about our day with them in St. Martin, but I don't know if I'll have this finished before you leave. To sum it up, I highly recommend them. They are very organized and have set times to assure you will be back at the ship with time to spare. Great communication and very friendly people. Pinel Island is BEAUTIFUL!!! If you go there, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

Thank you!!!

Yes, I have never done a review before but I can tell its hard work posting here and answering questions for other cruisers ;)... I get so happy when people come to Puerto Rico and enjoy their stay here..... Did you know the government cleaned "El Morro" with water pressure machines and damaged the Morro...it took the old look away that was so beautiful to me, I was so sad. So now the new pictures that will be here on CC will have a clean Morro :( BTW, loving those pics can't wait for more!!!:D

Thank you Alexlee. No, I had no idea that El Morro had been pressure washed. When was this? We were in San Juan from 7 - 3PM a few years ago on Carnival Glory and walked through Old San Juan and part of Castillo de San Cristobal before our Carnival sponsored zip line excursion. We had an excellent view of El Morro as we sailed out though. That was in 2010. I LOVE San Juan and I wouldn't mind spending a week in Puerto Rico sometime. There is so much more to see and do.

I was (and still am) a little intimidated because I've read and enjoyed so many beautiful reviews, doesn't matter which ship or itinerary, I read and enjoy them. Started to feel a little guilty/selfish and decided I'd try my own. I certainly don't mind answering questions. Helping and sharing with others is the whole idea. I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures and I have plenty more coming. As I'm sitting here reliving our cruise, real life is calling, so I'll be working on more tomorrow.

Thank you Alexlee. No, I had no idea that El Morro had been pressure washed. When was this? We were in San Juan from 7 - 3PM a few years ago on Carnival Glory and walked through Old San Juan and part of Castillo de San Cristobal before our Carnival sponsored zip line excursion. We had an excellent view of El Morro as we sailed out though. That was in 2010. I LOVE San Juan and I wouldn't mind spending a week in Puerto Rico sometime. There is so much more to see and do.

I was (and still am) a little intimidated because I've read and enjoyed so many beautiful reviews, doesn't matter which ship or itinerary, I read and enjoy them. Started to feel a little guilty/selfish and decided I'd try my own. I certainly don't mind answering questions. Helping and sharing with others is the whole idea. I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures and I have plenty more coming. As I'm sitting here reliving our cruise, real life is calling, so I'll be working on more tomorrow.

They washed it a month ago :( I'll patiently wait;):D

Edited by Alexlee