cigarettes

Nessa1dc and Bobbeasea Thank you for your info on the cigarettes.Is there a limit on the amount of cartons I can purchase and if so do you know the duty charge?

Sorry Bucko, can't help with U.S. regulations. Canadians are allowed 1 carton per person for cigarettes, duty and tax free. Not sure if you are even allowed to pay duty and taxes on anything over the one carton. Probably not worth it anyway. The States is probably similar, perhaps a U.S. smoker can help you out.

You are only allowed to purchase one carton per person. If you are sailing the carribean, it's sometimes cheaper to buy them in port. If you happen to be doing the Eastern route, St. Thomas allows US Citizens 5 cartons each. Don't know why it's like that though.

Guest nhrich

You're allowed to bring one carton per person back into the U.S. They do allow you to purchase more than that, though. They even sell 5 carton packages.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

I bought some cartons in st Martin a couple of years ago. You are allowed to bring 1 carton per person back into the states. On the last morning I went to the customs agent on board as I still had 4 cartons left. It would have cost $3.00 per carton but the agent waived the duty. It made going through customs on land a breeze as he had marked my customs form Duty waived. The agent on land looked at the form and said have a nice day.

The reason you can bring more from St Thomas is because it is a US territory

Freebird

Hi Bucko. My hubby & I were smokers until recently. 7/ll will be 6 months. Up until then, we only took a few packs of cigs on the ship because they were much cheaper on the ship. Whatever you smoke on the ship is duty free. We always bought extra cartons to take home. One carton each is duty free. We would pay the duty on any extra cartons we bought. It was still cheaper then in maryland. Never had a problem. Just make sure they have your brand. They are limited. Have a good cruise!

Archived