Wheelchair assistance at FFL?

blazerjan

Please forgive me if my questions have been answered before but this is the first time we will be cruising with a wheelchair. My DH has trouble walking long distances but can get in and out of vehicles by himself, walk short distances, and do some stairs. We have decided to take a wheelchair with us on our upcoming Princess cruise for those situations where lots of walking is needed. Will there be someone at the port of FFL to assist us with boarding? I'm a bit concerned with trying to push him and deal with our carry on bags. Do I need to call ahead and make these arrangements?

Another question I have is about shore excursions. I plan on using the wheelchair to get him from the ship to the vehicle for our excursions. (Which I have booked through Princess and all have little to no walking). Do they usually have a place to transport the folded chair? DH will not have to be lifted into the vehicle as I previously stated. I do plan on going to the excursion desk once on board to speak to them about this but any information I can get from the wonderful people on CC will help. Thanks in advance !!!

You should have it noted in your flight record that wheelchair assistance is required.

Upon landing at FFL just let either the flight attendant or the desk agent know that you only require a wheelchair attendant as you have your wheelchair.

As to whether or not the wheelchair will be allowed on the excursion is dependent on the type of vehicle used. If it's a standard your bus with a luggage hold than the wheelchair can be stowed on board. However you need to be aware that most of the buses used for excursion have steps as the tour buses will not have an accessible lift. . Can the individual climb steps ? Suggest once on board the ship speak directly with the Shore Excursions Desk to make certain that the tour is appropriate for the individual and that a wheelchair can be accommodated.

Are you driving to the port, using ship transfers to reach the port, or taking a taxi from the airport to the cruiseport? If driving to the port, you have choices as to when you unload your luggage and let your husband and his chair out. If you take a ship transfer you will have to identify your checked luggage and get to the transfer bus. With a taxi, you will be dropped off at the entrance to the cruise port but will need to take the large luggage to the place where the longshoreman are gathering the luggage.

We don't ask for assistance with boarding but I use a scooter. When I had a W/C I held the carry-on and my husband pushed.

If you're talking about assistance with boarding the ship, yes, I would make sure that its in your record on your reservations that you'll need assistance with boarding.

As for tours, it all depends. On some tours they will have a bus that can store the wheelchair. But other buses won't have that capability.

You should have it noted in your flight record that wheelchair assistance is required.

Upon landing at FFL just let either the flight attendant or the desk agent know that you only require a wheelchair attendant as you have your wheelchair.

As to whether or not the wheelchair will be allowed on the excursion is dependent on the type of vehicle used. If it's a standard your bus with a luggage hold than the wheelchair can be stowed on board. However you need to be aware that most of the buses used for excursion have steps as the tour buses will not have an accessible lift. . Can the individual climb steps ? Suggest once on board the ship speak directly with the Shore Excursions Desk to make certain that the tour is appropriate for the individual and that a wheelchair can be accommodated.

Are you driving to the port, using ship transfers to reach the port, or taking a taxi from the airport to the cruiseport? If driving to the port, you have choices as to when you unload your luggage and let your husband and his chair out. If you take a ship transfer you will have to identify your checked luggage and get to the transfer bus. With a taxi, you will be dropped off at the entrance to the cruise port but will need to take the large luggage to the place where the longshoreman are gathering the luggage.

We don't ask for assistance with boarding but I use a scooter. When I had a W/C I held the carry-on and my husband pushed.

Again, I'm sorry, I should have mentioned we are driving to Florida and will be taking a hotel shuttle to the port. The shuttle driver will take care of our large luggage. Yes, as I mentioned he can do steps and I carefully picked out excursions with little walking. I was just asking if anyone had experience with the excursion vehicle being able to store the wheelchair for us while we are on the excursion. Thank you both for the response.

If you're talking about assistance with boarding the ship, yes, I would make sure that its in your record on your reservations that you'll need assistance with boarding.

As for tours, it all depends. On some tours they will have a bus that can store the wheelchair. But other buses won't have that capability.

Thank you .... I will make sure this is on our reservation.

I will check the shore excursion desk when we board.

• 2 weeks later...

Just contact Princess and advise them that you will need assistance at the port, we have similar challenges and never have a problem. You may need to leave you husband for a few moments with your carry-ons while you go and find a Princess rep but help will soon be on the way.

While tour vehicles vary from port to port you will find that most will handle a folding wheelchair in the belly of the bus or the back of the van. Once onboard the ship a trip to the SHOREX desk to confirm this would be a good idea.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Just contact Princess and advise them that you will need assistance at the port, we have similar challenges and never have a problem. You may need to leave you husband for a few moments with your carry-ons while you go and find a Princess rep but help will soon be on the way.

While tour vehicles vary from port to port you will find that most will handle a folding wheelchair in the belly of the bus or the back of the van. Once onboard the ship a trip to the SHOREX desk to confirm this would be a good idea.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Thanks Putterdude... I have already contacted Princess and will visit the Shorex deck as soon as I can once on board. I appreciate your answering my question.

It looks to me that you are doing all you can to arrange it all in advance. That will really pay off in his enjoyment and your peace of mind. Now you will be free to deal with the surprises that will surely come up. And many of those will be wonderful!

Have a grand time, and let us know how it goes.

Archived