Just a Beach???

pinkbarbie

DH and i are headed to Belize. We have a very hectic life with a disabled child and are looking for relaxing things to do in ports.

Any recommendations on a beach to just go and relax, maybe with a little bar or restaurant where we can sample local cuisine?

DH and i are headed to Belize. We have a very hectic life with a disabled child and are looking for relaxing things to do in ports.

Any recommendations on a beach to just go and relax, maybe with a little bar or restaurant where we can sample local cuisine?

There are not any good beaches near Belize City. When you go to Belize, you will tender and will have to take a tender boat to Belize city. Most tours will start from the Tourism Village. In Belize most people will do the Mayan Ruins or Cave Tubing.

However, I have been to some nice beaches on Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. These are small islands about 45 minutes boat ride from Belize City.There are private tour companies that can take you there. NCL offers a Shark Ray Alley tour that goes to Caye Caulker. These boats are usually open top, exposed to sun/rain and can be bumpy at times. Did use Coral Breeze Tours before for these type of tours but won't use them again as they use smaller boat and canceled my tour a week before the cruise. There is a tour operator called ecological tours that does offer rides to these islands and goffs caye.

What I would recommend is to go to Bannister Island which is a lot closer. You can usually get there thru a ship excursion. On NCL the excursion is called the Island Beach break. Have been to Bannister before and is is very relaxing and has a safe beach area. On NCL, I believe that they pick you up from the cruise ship saving you the 15 minute tender to Belize City.

Below is a tripadvisor review of Bannister with some photos.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291968-d2292958-Reviews-Bannister_Island-Belize_City_Belize_District.html

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree with the above poster. If you want a relaxing beach day, you will have to book an excursion. Bannister Island was a nice little day getaway for us and we enjoyed ourselves. The water was nice and it has tons of starfish there. They have an area for food and drinks with plenty of places to sit and relax.

I have a complete review located in my signature line if you are interested in reading it and it includes TONS of pictures. :)

It's nice to have them pick you directly up from the ship instead of having to wait in line to get a tender to go over to Belize City and then to another excursion. It saved a lot of time.

Archived