Would a Travelscoot help me?

sugarking

I drive a Pride Go Go. I am a very poor driver, probably because I never learned how to drive a car. The Pride Go Go is cumbersome and weighs a lot. I want to know if a Travelscoot would help me.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have a travelscoot. I also have a large rascal scooter that I obtained from the VA. The best thing the VA did for me was have me evaluated by a physical therapist. I got a chair that has a hydraulic seat lift since I have trouble standing from a low height. I also found out during the evaluation that for me an electric wheelchair would not be a good choice as I need my feet to be very close to the chair to sit safely. I was also tested on upper and lower body strength and mental ability to operate the handle, etc. All of that said, the Rascal is very heavy and requires a lift on my car to transport it. It also has a large footprint. I don't have any idea how much it weighs but would guess about 200 or more lbs. I now use it in my neighborhood but don't travel with it, even to the grocery. The travelscoot has been wonderful for me, given my particular limitations. It does not have a reverse but that does not pose a problem for me. There are rumors that the next model will have a reverse gear. The only other complaint I had with the scoot was that the seat was uncomfortable. We fixed that when my husband had the seat reupholstered. He had extra cushioning applied and I am now sitting pretty. I would recommend that you call the company and see if there is someone living near you who will allow you to take a test ride. It is so easy to take my scooter anywhere I wish to go.

The travelscoot is a wonderful piece of equipment, it will not however make you a better driver I am afraid. Practice helps in this regard, other than that I don't know.

Katisdale is correct on most of the points she makes, however the Travelscoot is indeed, according to their website, available with a reverse gear!

* * * * New TravelScoot Model Has Arrived!!!

The*new TravelScoot is equipped with a 250W rim (direct drive hub) reversible motor. It also features band brakes, which are quite a bit more effective...

marlee

I drive a Pride Go Go. I am a very poor driver, probably because I never learned how to drive a car. The Pride Go Go is cumbersome and weighs a lot. I want to know if a Travelscoot would help me.

Seeing as though you already stated that you are a very poor driver using a Pride Go Go switching to a Travelscooter really isn't going to change that. Only practice help with that issue.

A Travelscoot is not for everybody for example :

• Unlike your Pride Go Go It does not have a flat foot bed. Rather the Travelscoot has pegs/bars that the feet have to rest against. So if you experience foot slippage and or can't balance your legs at a slight incline while your feet are resting against cylindrical pegs similar to hand grips than the Travelscoot is not for you.

Before investing in a Travelscoot you really need to check with a PT to see what really works best for you.

Re-read your post this morning and am perplexed by your statement that " The Pride Go Go is cumbersome and weighs a lot" ?

Personally own a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler 3 wheel and even with having MS find that the design of the scooter is very easy to assemble and disassemble ( of course I realize that each person is different)

However regarding the issue of weight all Pride GoGo models break apart into 4 pieces ( 5 if you use the basket). Depending on the model the heaviest piece which is the front section for all models weighs 29 lbs ( 3 wheel Elite Traveler) to 52 lbs (4 wheel Elite Traveler plus). So given that the Travelscoot with the Li-lon battery weighs 35 lbs. and the model with the SLA battery weighs 49 lbs. weight may still be an issue .

Re-read your post this morning and am perplexed by your statement that " The Pride Go Go is cumbersome and weighs a lot" ?

Personally own a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler 3 wheel and even with having MS find that the design of the scooter is very easy to assemble and disassemble ( of course I realize that each person is different)

I had the same thought when I read it but since I'm less experienced with scooters and new to the game I decided not to say anything. My GoGo Elite fits in the trunk of my car with no issues. I'm not just not sure I could manage it on my own (or the Travelscoot for that matter) in getting it out of the car since my left leg is almost dead from cancer. My scooter is easy to pull out and reassemble, takes my husband less than a minute.

I live in an apartment and there is a step to enter the building. My husband does not want to take it out of the car and assemble and disassemble it. I have no balance. I cannot stand without holding on to something. I could not ride a bike. Would I be able to use it in my apartment?

I live in an apartment and there is a step to enter the building. My husband does not want to take it out of the car and assemble and disassemble it. I have no balance. I cannot stand without holding on to something. I could not ride a bike. Would I be able to use it in my apartment?

Since balance is an issue for you really doubt that the Travelscoot would be the best option for you.

The Travelscoot costs $1925.00 whereas you can purchase a Pride GoGo on line for as low as $789.00 depending on the model. It would make more sense economically just to buy another GoGo. There are also other small compact scooters similar to a GoGo that can be purchased for even less.

IMPORTANT: Since you're considering purchasing one for use in your apartment it would be wise to consult with both a Physical Therapist and an Occupational Therapist before making such a decision to maker certain the right piece of mobility equipment is selected for use within your apartment.

IMHO, no scooter works well in an apartment.

What does work is a power chair or a rollalater.

Use inside is dependent on so many things it is difficult to give advice. How much space do you have between chairs, bookcases, etc. How wide are your doorways, I've found outside doors wider than inside ones but yours may be different. What type of flooring do you have? I imagine that would make a difference. I would ask your doctor for a referral to a physical or occupational therapist for an evaluation as to the "best" scooter/wheelchair for your needs.

I too have a go go elite (4 wheeler). At first is was great for me. Had it for about a year. Then because of issues that I have it became too hard for me to put it in my small suv even after I took it apart. I thought about the Travelscoot, than my DW showed my a site for the Luggie. I have not used my go go for two years now. The Luggie is wonderful. Does not come apart but folds flat or into about the size of a large suitcase that can be pulled by the handle. My advice. Look into the Luggie

Kevin

http://www.gomobilityscooters.com/luggiescooter-p/luggie.htm

Use inside is dependent on so many things it is difficult to give advice. How much space do you have between chairs, bookcases, etc. How wide are your doorways, I've found outside doors wider than inside ones but yours may be different. What type of flooring do you have? I imagine that would make a difference. I would ask your doctor for a referral to a physical or occupational therapist for an evaluation as to the "best" scooter/wheelchair for your needs.

Add to all of the above :

• Floor open space for turning radius
  • counter & stove height
  • if the bathroom is large enough to accommodate such a mobility aid.
  • Would need a seat that swivels
  • the list goes on and on . Which is why the OP needs to meet with a PT and OT as a scooter probably is not the best a small apartment. A Powered Wheelchair is what most likely is needed.

Archived