Deciding Precruise Southbound

mark&donna

This precruise stay is driving me crazy. I’ve read these boards and have narrowed it down to these choices but I am open for suggestions.

Weds. June 28th 2006 – Sat. July 8th 2006

Southbound Radiance of the Seas. Seward

Main issue is bear viewing.

Itinerary 1

Weds. Fly into Anchorage from Boston arrive 2:30 P.M. Rent a car and drive to Takeetna, sight see on the way. Spend the night. Thurs morn. Flight see to McKinley. Then Drive down to Homer sightseeing on the way. Spend the night. Fri. Halo Bay Bear viewing (peak). Fri. evening drive to Seward. Spend the night. Sat morn. Kenai boat tour or something else. Return rental and go to the ship.

Itinerary 2

Weds. Fly into Anchorage 2:30P.M or Fairbanks 7:30 P.M. (depending on the cost) from Boston. Rent a car and drive to Denali. Spend the night. Thurs. Early shuttle to fish creek. Spend the night. Fri. Drive to Seward. Sightseeing on the way. Spend the night. Sat morn. Kenai boat tour or something else. Return rental and go to the ship.

Itinerary 3

Weds. Fly into Anchorage 2:30P.M or Fairbanks 7:30 P.M. (depending on the cost) from Boston. Rent a car and drive to Denali. Spend the night. Thurs. Early shuttle to fish creek. Thurs. evening drive to Homer (Am I crazy?) spends the night.

Fri. Halo Bay Bear viewing (peak). Fri. evening drive to Seward. Spend the night. Sat morn. Kenai boat tour or something else. Return rental and go to the ship.

What do you think:)

Have you considered taking the train to Seward? Rental drop offs are spendy in Seward and only Hertz available.I would rent and return in Anchorage and then take the train,which is probably cheaper than the drop off fee.Lots to do and see in Seward,well worth spending a day or 2 here and very easy to get around without a vehicle. :) Have fun planning!

You are packing too much distance into your short time. Being it is a year off, you are too soon for any firm plans, and make it a priority to extend your time perhaps?

For your priority, I would definately take the flight out of Homer but plan on an overnight for max. bear viewing opportunities. Driving to Denali Park from

Anchorage after an east coast flight is a mistake, with the 4 hour time difference it's just too much in the same day.

My points to consider??

1- it is a 6 hour drive Talkeetna=Homer. I would skip Talkeetna, if you don't add days. Homer is definately a 2 night stop. It is almost 4 hours Homer/Seward, again a lot of driving for a short time.

2, Fairbanks is very limited with one way car rentals, look at Avis/Thrifty? Fewer flights into Fairbanks. Denali Park/ Seward is 9 hours.

3. has too much time on the road compared to the destination. Denali Park/Homer is close to 10 hours on the road, and definately not worth only one night in Homer, another 3 1/2 to Seward. You have left no time for ad lib stops or interests. No time in Anchorage which is also worthwhile.

Again- my top suggestion is to budget more time or scale back.

Have you considered a flightseeing trip to McKinnley from Ancorage. The ride to Talkeekna is not very interesting with trees lining both sides of the road so you don't see much. Also if the weather isn't good and Mckinnley isn't visible you can do something else and not waste the time driving there.

I would have to agree with Budget Queen,as I usually do, that you have too much packed in to your time. If you cannot get more days, I think you have to choose denali OR Homer and Hallo Bay. We have done both on our two trips to Alaska. We went to denali on both trips and we did see grizzly on both trips up close to bus. We also saw lot of other wildlife including lots of caribou, sheep/goats, wolves. Last Aug was our first trip to Homer due to the same problems you are finding. We stayed two nights in Homer, and had the 1 day bear tour with Hallo Bay. While we had a fantastic experience, I would have liked to have spent the night as they saw many more bear in the evening. But much more costly. I have photos on

http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

Thanks Buget Queen.

We can't squeze any more time.:( Is Denali (shuttle to fish creek) possible?

This seems abit much.

I might just stay Anc. Homer, Seward. Less time on the road.

You need two nights at Denali Park in my opinion, which you don't have? I would go with your Anchorage/Homer/Seward plan at this time.

You are still a long way off, anything can still happen perhaps with your timeframe??

As stated on these boards. On most trips to Alaska compromise is needed.

Can't see it all. Like you said Buget Queen I still have plenty of time. The trip is going to be Awesome. Planning keeps the pre cruise wait possible.

Archived