New design!!!

CaroleSS

Not sure if anyone but me noticed the new design of the Ports of Call!

Apparently the folk at CC took our suggestion and broke up the ports by region!

A HUGE shout out and a "woop woop" to all the CC peeps who read our comments and took notice! Thanks for being the BEST!!!!:D:D:D

This is helpful, but the real problem wasn't that the worldwide port threads were clogging up the forum - it was the basic River Cruising threads that were miss-placed there.

The admins need to comb through the Euro forum and move all the non-port threads to the main forum [at least going forward]

Here are the names of the first 40 threads on the Euro forum as I write this [with my opinions on whether they belong in this forum or not]:

• April Rhine Cruise, Flooding an issue? [wrong place]

• Cost of Avalon transfer Basel to Zurich airport [maybe in the right place]

• First river cruise - advice needed please [definitely wrong place]

• Which cruise line and which boat for Rhine July 2014? [wrong place]

• Viking Rhine after Christmas [wrong place]

• Ballet in Budapest [huzzah! first one that is clearly in the right place!]

• Budapest is GREAT! [also right]

• Viking cruise deposits [definitely wrong place]

• Jusr booked Viking from Amsterdam to Basel for next May 9 [wrong place]

• Amsterdam River Cruise Dock [right place]

• Overnight Curfew on Viking Danube River Cruise? [wrong place]

• Viking Christmas Mkt Tour [ wrong place]

• Viking Rhine Getaway -- newbie questions [wrong place]

• Budapest Dilemna! Parliament Tour or St. Matthias? [right place]

• Hotel Recommendations for Basel Please [right place]

• Train from Porto to Lisbon [right place, although more general forum would get more responses]

• Viking's Budapest Tour - Parliament and Opera [right place]

• Prague hotels (for Dec 2014) [right place]

• How's the weather on a Danube cruise in October? [wrong place]

• Esxtergom [huh?]

• Budapest: tipping private all-day tour guide? [right place]

• Vantage River Cruise [definitely wrong place]

• Vienna - Which Mozart Strauss Concert? [right place]

• Viking Circles of Light Tour [turns out it's about Paris, so right place but bad title]

• Dinners on river boats [definitely wrong place]

• Vienna Concert Hall Attire? [right place]

• Vantage [definitely wrong place]

• Ama [definitely wrong place]

• Uniworld SS Antoinette March 2014~Know of Air/Hotel Deals? [definitely wrong place]

• AccuWeather Says its Raining Along the Danube [wrong place]

• Prague hotel recommendations [right place]

• Bike Tours with AMA [definitely wrong place]

• Viking River Cruise Pride - Paris to Normandy [definitely wrong place]

• Must sees in Paris [right place]

• Ok, where do I start? DH wants "Bavarian castles". [wrong place]

• Melk Abbey [right place]

• Cesky Krumlov [right place]

• Lindau area near Passau? [right place]

• Hotel Spalentor in Basel [right place]

By my count, only 18 of these 40 clearly belong in this forum. Until the admins can make it clearer what should go here, splitting up the ports by continent isn't going to help much.

Just my opinion, but I didnt think we ever needed the separate ports forums in the first place...its just more to confuse people, as is obvious when you look at what threads are on there.

Splitting the Roll Calls up would have been a better thing to do, whether its split up into Rivers, countries or cruise companies.

Jazzbeau......maybe moving all the posts is a daunting task and not as easy as we might think? Dunno...:confused:

I know that moderators on the ocean cruise boards move threads around all the time, but maybe it is best to let things settle by attrition? Hopefully the moderators will move threads to where they belong as we move forward.

I do know that the moderators are volunteers - this is not their full time job, so maybe things will get better as we move forward. The good news is that at least we know someone is listening to us!

CaroleSS - I agree that moving all the threads into the "right" place would be a daunting task. Note that with some of the threads I wasn't sure whether they were in the right forum or not -- the distinction between a river cruise generally and a river port is not always clear. That's why I don't think the meta division will ever work.

I read the River Cruising sections for different reasons at different times: to choose an itinerary for a future cruise, to compare cruise lines, for details about a cruise I'm thinking about, for details about the ports. Sometimes this would be helped by a division into separate forums by cruise line or port, but other times it really helps to have it all together (as I stumble on new ideas by serendipity).

This is just one person's opinion but to me since this new design has come into effect we appear to have split the board into two identical parts. I just finished reading the "River Cruise Ports - Europe" and I would have thought all those threads should have been on this part of the board. I believe some meaningful posts are going to be missed unless you read all parts of river cruising and I'm not sure we're trained that way.

Archived