Car seat question...

alliecatn1

So this will be my first time cruising with my kiddo. He'll be 15 months when we sail. I'm wondering what to do for/with the car seat? I won't be bringing one (and will not check it- it compromises the safety of the seat because of how it's treated by baggage handlers) so I'm thinking of sending someone to buy one when we arrive (mom and step dad are arriving a day early) then meeting is at the airport. We'll use the seat to get to the ship, but then what? I'm doubting the porters will treat it properly though. Is my only other option to haul it onto the ship and hang out with it on lido until our room is ready? Is there anyway I can carry it onto the ship then ask the pursers desk to hold onto it? This will also limit our excursions since I don't want to lug it around Mexico ;-)

If you don't want the porters handling it, then you must carry it around with you. No other option! You will have to store it in your cabin.

Or,, you could only book excursions where the transportation doesn't allow the installation of a car seat, such as buses. That way, you won't need to deal with it at all.

We are buying a cosco for traveling. Weighs much less than the britax we use at home. We are taking several tours in vehicles so we need something light we can carry. Also we are going to get something like a go go babyz to use their car seat like a stroller.

You don't mention what line you're sailing on, but we have stored car seats at ncl's carry on check in on the embarkation deck. ITA that its not wise to let a car seat out of your sight :)

Fwiw I have used a car seat in Costa Maya, and I'd definitely consider using one in Cozumel, as I saw many vehicles with appropriate seatbelts when we were there.

I would personally not let it out of my sight. We bought FTTF for Carnival so the cabin is ready immediately. I use this to travel...it has backpack straps to make it easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Ultimate-Seat-Travel-Black/dp/B0009RNXNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380257875&sr=8-1&keywords=childress+car+seat+travel+bag

They also make one on wheels.

http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Wheelie-Seat-Travel-Black/dp/B000XA6DC6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380257899&sr=8-2&keywords=childress+car+seat+travel+bag

Thanks for the replies! We're going with carnival this go around. I found a friend near lax that will take us to and from the ship. Her little girl is the same age as my little guy so she already has the appropriate seat installed in her car. We're planning on doing a boat excursion and walking around the other port so we won't need a carseat while on the cruise. :-)

Archived