Live from the Explorer - Racing Denis

Thought some would find it interesting and informative to hear about Cindy and Denis from a ship affected by both. We left Miami on Sunday at 5 p.m. EDT and had a nice sail away. Monday was fine for about 1/2 the day. By mid-afternoon, the ship was rolling pretty significantly due to the effects of Cindy. We had a decent percentage (10%?) of passengers stay away from dinner as a result.

It was actually very funny to watch the Promenade walk as folks simultaneously swayed right or left as a group. By Tuesday morning we were in Belize and Cindy was far north. This morning, the captain advised everyone as we docked in Costa Maya that Denis was growing and that he would watch the storm and make final decisions about ports of call and cruise-track. He already indicated that our stop in Grand Cayman wasn't going to happen.

This afternoon at the pool we learned from the Drifters (yes, the band that played on Tuesday night....great show, tell you more in my review upon our return) when they joined us as the pool bar that we were skipping Cozumel as well and sailing for two days to dock in Nassau. They knew because they were supposed to get off the ship in Cozumel to fly home. The captain confirmed this tonight in a general announcement.

We're essentially racing North this evening to skirt the storm and head east before the storm catches up with us (and Jamaica and Cuba, et al). Clo (cruise director) pointed out tonight at the Love and Marriage show that we were actually fortunate that we could get a "spot" in Nassau and extraordinarily so since we could stay docked there overnight. So, while it messes up our plans and those of many other passengers (for instance, should I expect to get back my deposit for the Stingray City expedition I booked based on recommendations we received on these boards?), we're making the most of it and planning on enjoying our days poolside, playing bingo, gambling, etc. etc. We've kind of grown to enjoy the ship as much or more than many ports anyway. It seems like almost everyone on-board has taken the whole series of events in-stride. I have wireless in the room on my portable. I'll try to get back on again sometime tomorrow or Friday if you have any advice or questions.

Mark

OH my gosh, we are going to be on the Explorer on Sunday and I am so grateful for you posting... As we are going, to the Eastern Caribbean I am hoping things will be a lot calmer...

I have my patches ready.....:p :p

Keep us updated if you can, thank you....

Kruzfamily, it's good to hear that the ship and passengers are overall doing well. But it's even better to see your delightful attitude about this! You're a real trooper and apparently have decided to see this as an adventure rather than a disaster. Good for you. Stay safe and create some great memories.

Cheryl

Kruzfamily

thank you so much for the update, I have freinds on that ship with you for their first cruise...

Iwas wondering about the direction you would be taking..

Take care and thanks again

:)

Great attitude since your trip has changed so dramatically, sorry it had to happen to you though. The drifters were on the Mariner last week, we also thought they were a great show, really enjoyed them. Hope you are able to at least have some fun out on the decks and not get too rained on.

We're almost exactly where 1corona4u's map shows. North of Cuba on its Western side. Seas are calm and I can see two cruise ships mirroring us off the starboard side.

As of about 8:30 a.m., pool chairs are about reserved and yes, I'll admit we've done the chair hog thing too.... justified it by the schedule change and the need to keep the family occupied today.

Mc'sMom: I'm sure your friends are having a great time, the cruise has been fine and every first-timer we've talked to has been thoroughly enjoying themselves.

SEBritish: From what we've seen about projected storm path, you shouldn't have a thing to worry about. In fact, unless there's a 3rd storm out there (which I haven't heard), you should be just fine heading east. The only thing I could imagine that might affect us both on Sunday is weather in Florida (getting in and out of the airport). Hopefully you're coming in earlier.

By the way, based on advice on these boards, we arrived at the terminal around 11:30 Sunday morning (our tickets said boarding was at 2 p.m.). We almost walked on board....it was so easy and gave us extra time on-board. Thanks again for the responses, gonna go jam another meal down :o)

Thanks for sharing and good luck getting to Nassau.

We are booked on the March 12th sailing with our extended family and would like copies of the childrens daily programs to get a jump start on planning.

Any chance you could get some and share with the cruise critics?

RCCL- Monarch of the Seas

Celebrity - Century

Princess - Golden

Coming up.... Explorer of the Seas

Kruzfamily,

Keep the updates coming. Great reading. We're headed on the same itinerary at the end of the month. Make the best of the situation and get ready to spend some time at Atlantis. I'd almost like to stay on the ship for a couple extra sea days. Looks like RCCL is doing everything they can to keep the week exciting and fun for everyone.

Atljoo

Kruzfamily,

thanks for the update, we are leaving tomorrow night for out NOS cruise on Sat, I hope Philly airport is ok, sounds like a heavy rainstorm all day tomorrow could create problems. We are in Dresher and going with a couple from Newtown on the trip...small world!

Suzanne

Kruzfamily, thanks for your reassuring words....enjoy the rest of your trip andl like so many have said, you have to expect things like this when you travel this time of the year...

Yes we are coming into Miami a day early on Saturday would never come in the day of a cruise because you never know....

Thanks too for your updates....

That Clo is just a hurricane magnet. :D She was our CD on the Brilliance of the Seas transatlantic in 2002 when we were avoiding the worst of Hurricane Gustave in the Atlantic. Sounds like your captain is keeping you all up to date with the situation with Dennis. On the Brilliance we had Captain James MacDonald who, not only did a great job minimizing our exposure to Gustave, but explained clearly and fully everything that was going on, what he was doing to avoid the storm and why. We also had him on the Brilliance in the Caribbean when weather conditions (not a tropical storm) caused him to alter our itinerary skipping Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman on our way to Aruba, but hitting Grand Cayman on our way back to Miami. His personality and willingness to communicate all essential information to the passengers, made us all feel more comfortable and I heard little or no complaints that we missed one of the ports on our itinerary. With any luck, Dennis will dissipate or will take a track that minimizes damage to whatever coastal areas it eventually hits.

Just go here:

http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/main_int.html

Something you DEFINITELY want to avoid after all it's a VACATION right?

Stay safe!

Cheers,

-Norman

Here is another one, that also shows direction, as well as height;

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/index.html

JUst click on the region you are interested in.

Looking at their position and the web pages which show the wave heights and direction, I bet she was doing a bit of rocking. Looks like she was getting hit broadside with 15 foot waves.

Interesting speculation: She slowed down to 18 knots, I wonder if they lose that much speed when they put out the stabilizers. I know they don't use them if they don't need them, costs to much fuel... and... thinking further, it doesn't make sense that their cruising speed would be the same with and without the stabilizers in play.

We need the ship captain's wife to answer! :)

Theron

Looking at their position and the web pages which show the wave heights and direction, I bet she was doing a bit of rocking. Looks like she was getting hit broadside with 15 foot waves.

Interesting speculation: She slowed down to 18 knots, I wonder if they lose that much speed when they put out the stabilizers. I know they don't use them if they don't need them, costs to much fuel... and... thinking further, it doesn't make sense that their cruising speed would be the same with and without the stabilizers in play.

We need the ship captain's wife to answer! :)

Theron

WOW, that's really kicked up in the last few hours....I hope people are not sick....but know there probably are some.:(

Archived