Galveston Post Cruise Resort

oregand

Hi all,

I am thinking about a cruise out of Galveston August 2014 and seeing that I will be travelling from Ireland 7 days is a bit short and I was wondering what sort of place Galveston would be like to spend 3/4 days before flying home.

Is it a usual vacation destination or would I be better off going somewhere else?

Any suggestions / help would be appreciated.

David

It is the top tourist destination in the state of Texas.

Lots to do there and area!

32 miles of beach

For better Look at hotels:

San Luis , moody gardens, Galvez and Tremont

And look at

Galvestonhistory.org

Galveston.com

Moodygardens.com

1894 grand opera house

NASA space center

Kemah Boardwalk

Historic Strand Area

Ask questions.

Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier

is one of the five best seaside parks in the world, according to Amusement Today, a trade publication that each year hands out its Golden Ticket Awards.

Rebuilt by entrepreneur Tilman Fertitta at a cost of $60 million, the Galveston Pleasure Pier at 25th Street and Seawall Boulevard opened for Memorial Day weekend in 2012.

Tilman also owns San Luis Resort and Hotel in Galveston

and operates Kemah Boardwalk on Galveston Bay near Galveston

Also owns landrys inc . com with 500 locations around the world.

• 2 weeks later...

From KHOU

khou . com

Posted on October 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

GALVESTON, Texas

The Strand was designated as one of 10 Great Streets for 2013 by the American Planning Association on Friday.

Each year during National Community Planning Month APA’s Great Places in America program names 30 exemplary streets, neighborhoods and public spaces to highlight the role planning and planners play in adding value to communities, including fostering economic growth and jobs.

APA singled out The Strand for its Victorian architecture, decades of revitalization, reinvestment and infrastructure improvements, and residents and city’s perseverance in rebuilding after devastating natural disasters.

“The city has many treasures, but The Strand is truly the foundation piece in a city of ‘firsts,’” said Mayor Lewis Rosen. “It is an example of not only commerce and historical architecture, but the resilience of many generations through natural disasters and devastating storm events.”

“The Strand is a magnificent street that has seen more than its share of destructive storms and disasters, most recently Hurricane Ike in 2008,” said APA Chief Executive Officer Paul Farmer, FAICP. “Yet Galveston’s community leaders and residents remain steadfast in their resolve to repair and rebuild, and nothing demonstrates this better than The Strand’s renewed vibrancy and prosperity.”

Called the “The Wall Street of the Southwest” during the 19th Century, The Strand was the desired location for major businesses at the time including banks, wholesalers, commercial merchants, cotton brokers, newspapers and attorneys.

They erected examples of Victorian architecture, which today represent one of the country’s largest collections of cast iron historic commercial buildings thanks to decades of planning and restoration efforts by led the city, Galveston Historical Foundation, and philanthropist George Mitchell, who died in July, and his wife Cynthia, who passed away in 2009.

The Strand’s return from its most recent devastation, caused by Hurricane Ike in 2008, involved community leaders, residents and planners mapping out strategies and a rehabilitation plan.

With the help of $500 million in state and federal recovery funds, Galveston has once again returned The Strand to its vibrant self, repairing the iconic facades of the avenue’s historic buildings and attracting new waves of visitors and tourists to the street’s restaurants, museums and specialty stores.

The Galveston Historic Port and Old Town

from Harborside Street over to Post Office Street

has many restaurants, entertainment venues,

tourist shops, women clothing shops,

antique stores, museums, a lively night scene,

fine dining on the water,

and a large Confectionery with many candies and ice cremes.

There are boat tours of Dolphin Watching and of Port,

horse and carriages rides, 1894 Grand Opera House,

the Tremont and Harbor House Hotels,

The Railroad Museum, Offshore Drilling Platform Museum, and Pirate Museum,

There is the Maritime Museum with the Historic Tall Ship Elissa,

and with films on 1900 Storm, and Pirate Jean Lafitte, and on Galveston as a major Immigration port.

Movie and Music nights on the Strand- Saturday nights

Art Walk about every 5 weeks in Old Town - a popular social street party with music and arts scene

1894 Grand Opera House performances are:

The Beach Boys as season opener on Oct. 5 and 6

Randy Newman Oct. 19

The Buddy Holly Story Oct. 25-26

Jaston Williams and Joe Ely in.. Is Life After Lubbock on Nov. 8

Flipside – the Patti Page Story on Nov. 16

B.B. King on Nov. 22 and 23

2010 Tony Award-winner Memphis the Musical on Nov. 29 and 30

Jerry Jeff Walker on Dec. 28

and more(see web)

etc Theater:

The Dixie Swim Club on SEPT 27 - OCT 19, 2013

Santaland Diaries and Season Greetings on Nov 22- Dec 14. 2013

Motherhood Outloud on January 24, 25 30 31 and Feb 1, 2014

Great American Trailer Park Musical Mar 14- April 12, 2014

Re- Designing Women May 16- June 7, 2014

More events are:

Lonestar Motorcycle Weekend - First Weekend in November - LARGE

Dickens on the Strand - First Weekend in December -Meet the Dickens Family -LARGE

Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens - Nov to Jan - a million holiday lights and wonderland - LARGE

Mardi Gras - Last two weekends in February - LARGE

Fat Tuesday - March 4

Spring Break - March - LARGE

And 32 miles of Beach

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping you can help me with a hotel choice in Galveston.

We currently have the Holiday Inn Club Vacations Galveston BEach reserved for a couple of days post cruise in January.

Hubby thinks it's too far away from everything and we'd be taking taxis everywhere.

Can you recommend a nice (but not too expensive hotel) that would be handy to all the sights?

We like the beach and would like to have restaurant choices nearby.

Are there buses that run along the beach?

Thanks, TErry

The two hotels downtown are The Tremont and Harbor House.

All others are on Seawall Blvd.

The Tremont has a shuttle between The Galvez on Seawall and downtown.

Galveston is a resort town so hotels are pricier. You can get Motel 6 or Days Inn at a low cost, but they are not close to anything.

Check out Galveston.com to look at your options.

Try these for reasonable pricing unless it's spring break?:

Country Inn

Gaidos

Commodore

Holiday Inn Resort

Inn at Waterpark

La Quinta

Baymont

Super 8

Quality

Comfort Inn

Hampton

Best Western

Choice

Marriott

Beachfront

and others

try putting in bid on Bid sites

Main areas to stay

On the Gulf (seawall)(many motels and hotels)

On the Bay (Moody Gardens Hotel)(Inn@Waterpark)

Downtown Old Town Historic District by Port–Only(Harbor House & Tremont)

On highway coming into town(few)

----------------------

----------------------------

In my opinion

San Luis, Hilton, Moody Gardens, Tremont, Galvez and Harbor House

are the better hotels.

These have limo buses to move you around town to other tourist destinations.

Many other nice hotels/motels obviously!:)

If you are at Holiday Inn Resort

you are in middle of everything.

Hi all,

I am thinking about a cruise out of Galveston August 2014 and seeing that I will be travelling from Ireland 7 days is a bit short and I was wondering what sort of place Galveston would be like to spend 3/4 days before flying home.

Is it a usual vacation destination or would I be better off going somewhere else?

Any suggestions / help would be appreciated.

David

What do you have in mind when you say resort? Galveston is a night or two place to me. With the Tremont and Galvez as the best hotels. That time of year I'll take the swim up bar at the Galvez over being on the Strand.

Maybe take in Houston too? http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323452204578288471825815826

For the local take on Houston... http://www.houstonpress.com/bestof/

What do you have in mind when you say resort? Galveston is a night or two place to me. With the Tremont and Galvez as the best hotels. That time of year I'll take the swim up bar at the Galvez over being on the Strand.

Maybe take in Houston too? http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323452204578288471825815826

For the local take on Houston... http://www.houstonpress.com/bestof/

I have to agree. Galveston is 1 or 2 days at best. I'd go into Galveston a day or two early. Then for a post-cruise stay, you might consider NASA or Houston. http://www.tripadvisor.com has great information on hotels, restaurants, activities, etc.

Archived