Cafe du Monde from port

flutist14_99

If you are driving, I would recommend to use one of the parking lots that you have to pay to use and either walk to Café du Monde or take a Pedicab (aka bike taxi).

When I am in the French Quarter, I always pay to park in one of the parking lots. Last time I didn't, I got towed.

There are a couple of options:

You can walk, if you are sailing with Carnival there are stairs outside of the taxi/bus entrance to the port that will take you to the riverwalk mall. There is a (franchise) Cafe Du Monde in the mall, but it is rarely any good. If you keep walking all the way through the mall, following the flow of people, you will wind up in the fountain plaza area. Go through that and into the Ferry dock building and immediately exit to the left and follow the walking path through the area to cross the extreme bottom end of Canal. That will put you by the Aquarium, which if you go toward the front of you will see the brick walkway that is part of Woldenburg River Front park, follow that on around by the Natchez dock then when you get to the area where the wooden steps go down toward the river, cross the railroad tracks and up onto the monument area and then take the ramp to the right to get right to Cafe Du Monde.

It sounds complicated but it is an easy walk, and from the port to Cafe Du Monde is about 1.4 miles, but through safe areas and it is all flat. We have walked it several times, and as long as you don't have alot of bags you'll be ok.

The other option is the riverfront street car. There is a stop right outside of the port entrances (closer to the whale lot, which will make sense when you get there), and will take you right down in front of the monument I mentioned and cuts out all of the walking. They are not the historic street cars, they are the newer ones with Air conditioning and easier access for people with accessbility issues.

Either is an option, I would walk, but it is a walking town and having lived there and made that walk many many times, I would not blink twice at it.

There are a couple of options:

You can walk, if you are sailing with Carnival there are stairs outside of the taxi/bus entrance to the port that will take you to the riverwalk mall. There is a (franchise) Cafe Du Monde in the mall, but it is rarely any good. If you keep walking all the way through the mall, following the flow of people, you will wind up in the fountain plaza area. Go through that and into the Ferry dock building and immediately exit to the left and follow the walking path through the area to cross the extreme bottom end of Canal. That will put you by the Aquarium, which if you go toward the front of you will see the brick walkway that is part of Woldenburg River Front park, follow that on around by the Natchez dock then when you get to the area where the wooden steps go down toward the river, cross the railroad tracks and up onto the monument area and then take the ramp to the right to get right to Cafe Du Monde.

It sounds complicated but it is an easy walk, and from the port to Cafe Du Monde is about 1.4 miles, but through safe areas and it is all flat. We have walked it several times, and as long as you don't have alot of bags you'll be ok.

The other option is the riverfront street car. There is a stop right outside of the port entrances (closer to the whale lot, which will make sense when you get there), and will take you right down in front of the monument I mentioned and cuts out all of the walking. They are not the historic street cars, they are the newer ones with Air conditioning and easier access for people with accessbility issues.

Either is an option, I would walk, but it is a walking town and having lived there and made that walk many many times, I would not blink twice at it.

The mall has been closed and will remain so until next year. No walking through.

I hope they don't close the area by the old cruise terminal, where you can stand on the ramps near the stairs and watch ships sail away. We used that area one time to watch the Conquest leave a month before we were on her. We went to the food court and bought a couple of drinks (adult variety, of course) then watched load out and sailaway. We had a great time.

Archived