Norway here we come

My husband goes to Norway about once a month on business, so when we went we knew how pricey things were going to be and was prepared. We had a large fish kebab (straight from the fishing boat) which was barbecued in front of us with salad for our lunch, and it cost the equivelent of £50! Very expensive, but it was very nice.

There are several eating places around that have yummy things, but again you have to be prepared to pay for them. Even the McDonalds was more expensive than ours!!

Apart from that, Fire and Ice was wonderful. I really enjoyed it. The scenery was out of this world. We thought our scenery was brilliant, but its nothing now!

Apart from that, Fire and Ice was wonderful. I really enjoyed it. The scenery was out of this world. We thought our scenery was brilliant, but its nothing now!

I was blown away by the scenery in Norway and I think I now prefer it to the Caribbean :eek: Sorry Kruzseeka and Geo :o

Even the weather was kind to us and looking forward to Fire and ice next year :)

I was blown away by the scenery in Norway and I think I now prefer it to the Caribbean :eek: Sorry Kruzseeka and Geo :o

Even the weather was kind to us and looking forward to Fire and ice next year :)

Don't apologise to me Linda - I've been to Norway four times and hope to go again next year all being well. I did include Geiranger on my list of favs as being representative of Norway - I nearly included Tromso and others but did try to be brief - a never ending battle for me!! :rolleyes:. You're preaching to the converted!!! :D

It's a very different experience from the Caribbean - both have tremendous appeal in my book for different reasons. I'm sure you'll love Fire & Ice - Iceland is something else! It doesn't have the imposing intimacy and dominanting scenery of the longer fjords like Geiranger and Flam but it does have some equally, though different, spectacular scenery and sights. What a treat! ;)

Welcome to Norway :)

About the prices; they are much higher in typical tourist areas than the rest of the country;) But the prices of eating and drinking out ARE big.

That's the fun for us Norwegian when we travel abroad - cheap drinks and food:)

In example; one bear in the pub where I live is almost 70 kr, which is about £7 or $11. On toursitplaces it will be higher than this.

On McDonalds; one BigMac menu is almost 100 kr, whick is £10 or $16. (but who wants to eat on McDonalds on vacation??)

Welcome to Norway :)

About the prices; they are much higher in typical tourist areas than the rest of the country;) But the prices of eating and drinking out ARE big.

That's the fun for us Norwegian when we travel abroad - cheap drinks and food:)

In example; one bear in the pub where I live is almost 70 kr, which is about £7 or $11. On toursitplaces it will be higher than this.

On McDonalds; one BigMac menu is almost 100 kr, whick is £10 or $16. (but who wants to eat on McDonalds on vacation??)

We are booked on Fire and Ice for next year, and looking forward to it after all I have read about it, as we have never ventured there yet. Will certainly be trying the beer as I believe there is a brewery or two around, but we don't do McDonalds. Went to Czech republic before they split and folks on the coach were shouting where is it. We ate standing up with workers in one of their cafe's. We enjoy eating and drinking local fayre. Bring it on!!

We are booked on Fire and Ice for next year, and looking forward to it after all I have read about it, as we have never ventured there yet. Will certainly be trying the beer as I believe there is a brewery or two around, but we don't do McDonalds. Went to Czech republic before they split and folks on the coach were shouting where is it. We ate standing up with workers in one of their cafe's. We enjoy eating and drinking local fayre. Bring it on!!

Yes gill there is a micro brewery at Flam (whatever that means) which is new from when we were there about three years ago. When we went in June I was quite surprised by the developments around the berth. It's a very interesting building and welcoming but the prices were a bit steep but I think they were speciality beers and perhaps even more expensive than usual in Norway. Worth it for something a bit different though.

One of our favourite places for a coffee is Westeras in Gieranger if you go there. It's a fairly strenuous walk but the view from the terrace across the fjord and your ship is stunning. (You can get a walking map at the tourist office in Geiranger.) To say that we had no other choice of cafe anywhere close by the prices weren't bad at all.

According to my credit card statement we paid just over £10 for two coffees and cakes in Isafjord and about £8 for two coffees and cookies in Torshavn which was OK we thought.

Hi Kruzseeka,

When we were in Gerainger (my favourite port I think) we had beautiful weather and I dragged DH up a steep dirt track, promising a cafe at the top, which you had told me about. When we got to the top (huffing and puffing) I couldn't see it :eek: so we set off down the road and found it, but it was closed! I think, because it was October :rolleyes: Anyway, I took photos of the ship from the top, so worth the climb :)

f0qnbq.jpg

Yes gill there is a micro brewery at Flam (whatever that means) which is new from when we were there about three years ago. When we went in June I was quite surprised by the developments around the berth. It's a very interesting building and welcoming but the prices were a bit steep but I think they were speciality beers and perhaps even more expensive than usual in Norway. Worth it for something a bit different though.

One of our favourite places for a coffee is Westeras in Gieranger if you go there. It's a fairly strenuous walk but the view from the terrace across the fjord and your ship is stunning. (You can get a walking map at the tourist office in Geiranger.) To say that we had no other choice of cafe anywhere close by the prices weren't bad at all.

According to my credit card statement we paid just over £10 for two coffees and cakes in Isafjord and about £8 for two coffees and cookies in Torshavn which was OK we thought.

Sounds interesting will try to check it out The Coffee house that is not the Brewery . lol

Amazing photo Linda, Which one is ''your'' ship? Can't wait have always wanted to go to Norway, would have loved the Fire & Ice but Hubby wanted to go from Newcastle as it only 45 mins drive from home.

I had been trying to get DH to go to Norway for ages, so when he said "If you like" I took that as a yes :D and booked it :D As the weather was better than he had thought it would be, he has now agreed to Fire and Ice :)

Our ship was the Crown Princess on the left, the one in the middle is P&O Adonia and big one on the right is the Celebrity Eclipse.

I see you have been on IOTS. Did you like it? We weren't keen as it seemed to have too many people on it and found it difficult to get a seat anywhere in the evenings :rolleyes:

Hi Kruzseeka,

When we were in Gerainger (my favourite port I think) we had beautiful weather and I dragged DH up a steep dirt track, promising a cafe at the top, which you had told me about. When we got to the top (huffing and puffing) I couldn't see it :eek: so we set off down the road and found it, but it was closed! I think, because it was October :rolleyes: Anyway, I took photos of the ship from the top, so worth the climb :)

f0qnbq.jpg

Lovely photo, Linda. Looks a bit like the Lake District (with very big ships) ! :D

I was blown away by the scenery in Norway and I think I now prefer it to the Caribbean Sorry Kruzseeka and Geo

I'm working on getting on the fire & ice one day:cool:.....cool?:rolleyes:

still working on ms magot (aka the sun worshipper) she's not too keen;):D

ice.jpg

I see you have been on IOTS. Did you like it? We weren't keen as it seemed to have too many people on it and found it difficult to get a seat anywhere in the evenings :rolleyes:

Yes we like IOTS. Never has a problem on an evening even though they said the ship was full. totally different experience to the Thompson Spirit I should imagine.

Archived