How large can a carry-on be

dvanlinge

Hi,

I have searched and can't find an exact answer to this: How large of an opening does the xray at San Pedro have, I keep seeing "the same size as the airport carry-on" but that doesn't really give the dimensions. Does anyone know or do you have the dimensions L/W/H of luggage you have put through the carry-on xray in San Pedro.

Thanks.

Dave

Hi,

I have searched and can't find an exact answer to this: How large of an opening does the xray at San Pedro have, I keep seeing "the same size as the airport carry-on" but that doesn't really give the dimensions. Does anyone know or do you have the dimensions L/W/H of luggage you have put through the carry-on xray in San Pedro.

Thanks.

Dave

The size is approx 14x9x22

Hi,

Thanks.

Dave

The size is approx 14x9x22
The size quoted by Kamloops50 is the limitation of most aircraft overhead storage bins. That restriction does not apply on a ship. I have not measured the opening, but like most scanners at airports, the opening is much larger than the carry-on limit.

Tunnel size varies by manufacturer and model, but typical scanner tunnels are about 24-26 inches wide and 18-20 inches tall. Length is determined only by whether the security agent will let you take multiple shots and overlap them or whether you have to see the whole item in one shot. Keep in mind that TSA bins are 20" long and easily fit sideways through the tunnels at airport screening.

The largest suitcases I see available these days are 32" long, 21" wide, 14.5" high (expanded), plus wheels and handles. That should fit, if you can wrestle that thing up onto the belt. Don't try to check it on an airline, however, as it exceeds their usual limit of 62 linear inches and you will owe big oversize bucks.

Tunnel size varies by manufacturer and model, but typical scanner tunnels are about 24-26 inches wide and 18-20 inches tall. Length is determined only by whether the security agent will let you take multiple shots and overlap them or whether you have to see the whole item in one shot. Keep in mind that TSA bins are 20" long and easily fit sideways through the tunnels at airport screening.

The largest suitcases I see available these days are 32" long, 21" wide, 14.5" high (expanded), plus wheels and handles. That should fit, if you can wrestle that thing up onto the belt. Don't try to check it on an airline, however, as it exceeds their usual limit of 62 linear inches and you will owe big oversize bucks.

We sat next to someone with a bag almost that large in San Pedro waiting to board a few years ago. Turns out he was the piano player in Crooners. He had obviously boarded before and knew how large a bag would fit. If you can check a bag on a airplane, it will probably fit through the San Pedro scanners.

Vancouver, at least in 2010, was not as forgiving. If the bag didn't fit in the carry-on test frame, you had to take it back to the porters, even though the scanner opening was much larger.

Archived