Confused about safes in cabins

FEDJAN

I read a post in another thread that stated the passenger used a Costco card as the key to the safe in the their cabin, but it didn't work. I think I read on the Carnival web site that you use a credit card to activate/use the in cabin safe. The post I read also said that you should not use an active credit card. Since I only have active credit cards and I do not have a Costco (though I guess they don't work anyway), what's the real story on using the in room safes.

Thanks in advance! I love this board; lots of great info for us newbies. My first cruise is next March on the Conquest.

Any card with a magnetized strip will work to lock and unlock the safer (you set it the first time). We happened to have a gift card from Barnes & Noble that we used. I just found a place to hide it in the cabin and could retrieve it as needed. Not sure about the reasoning about using an active credit card other than somehow the code could be read and stolen??!!

Just take with you a couple of cards with strips - they don't have to be active or current- that way you'll have backup in case one doesn't work. We tried a Kroger grocery card first and it didn't work.

Ohhhhhh! I see. That's funny because I do have a Barnes and Noble gift card. The post that generated the question stated they used a Costco and a fitness center card and neither one worked. They had to get assistance to open the safes. I'll try to bring several cards. Thanks!

Off the subject - how did you like the Valor? I'm thinking of booking a cruise on her in 2006.

Loved the Valor! We were a little bit worried because we are used to NCL and heard stories about the partying at Carnival! Our experience on the Valor was very similar to what we experienced on NCL. The food was great, the rooms nice and the staff was nice. I highly reccomend it, unless of course you want to come to Hawaii with me next summer instead??!! :D

just remember to NOT use your sail and sign card. some have said it de-magnitized that card and then you cant get back in the cabin. i have a credit card size discount card from a drug store that i use. just keep it in a save place in the cabin ( i have never had anyone mess with it ) and use only that one. it is safe and easy. slide the card to open, and then slide the card again to lock.

I think that is the point different cruise lines use different things. all of the carnival ships I have been on you use a card, you can use an empty walmart gift card, jcpenney, target etc...bring a couple incase one gets demagnizied...one of mine did last time...that is cool to hear that RCI uses passcodes, wonder if you get to choose your own?

On the Princess and Celebrity ships we've sailed on, the cabin safes use a 4-digit code. You type in the code to open the safe. When you close the safe, you type in the code and lock it. You have to be sure you type the closing code correctly because that's the code that will open the safe the next time. We've used our address and the last four digits of my work phone number.

I thought we had to use the card on RCI Legend of the Seas to activate the safe and then punched in the code. Perhaps I am wrong. We've sailed so many different lines that I am probably confused by now.

Fedjan - The Conquest safes use a card. The older Carnival ships used the keypad with your own code. The Holiday uses that method. The Sensation uses the cards. I used my Visa debit card - since it's the only card I own. Never had a problem using it, and I kept it inside a shoe in the closet.

Archived