Excursion for Seniors

Wippi6

Hello All,

My family is going on Oasis of the Seas 12/21/13. It me, DH 4 Kids and my mom and dad (81 & 82). This is about them really .... They would like to do something ... not beach related or water related ... My dad cannot really walk very much and if he does he has to move at a slower pace ... Don't get me wrong he can walk , doesn't use or need a cane or walker it just takes a toll on him ... So I am wondering what excursions or suggestions anyone might have for them to do?

On a side note, does anyone know if Mike's Beach is still around?

Thank you

If it's just for Mom & Dad there are some excursions like semi-submersible subs that are short (2-3 hours) and while they require walking to get down the stair case it is a seated tour.

There are also usually culinary tours. Check the RCI web site to see what is offered for your cruise.

Charlie

Coz is an island so most of the attractions revolve around the water/beach. There are not many historical sites unless you ferry to the mainland. I agree with the suggestion for a culinary tour for your parents, but your kids will want to head to the beach, so it sounds like two tours to me. :cool:

Hello All,

My family is going on Oasis of the Seas 12/21/13. It me, DH 4 Kids and my mom and dad (81 & 82). This is about them really .... They would like to do something ... not beach related or water related ... My dad cannot really walk very much and if he does he has to move at a slower pace ... Don't get me wrong he can walk , doesn't use or need a cane or walker it just takes a toll on him ... So I am wondering what excursions or suggestions anyone might have for them to do?

On a side note, does anyone know if Mike's Beach is still around?

Thank you

It would help if you gave some indication of what they might be interested in doing. Also are you looking for an excursion for all of you, or just your parents?

When we took my mum, who was 90, we hired a driver for the day through ToursPlaza and visited the east side. Nice AC van and we were able to stop as and when we wanted. This is an easy way to pace themselves if they are interested in "seeing things", or stopping for a drink with a view.

For starters there is the chocolate factory;

small in town museum;

small ruins;

tequila tasting hacienda or tasting at Casa Mission both with or without lunch;

ride around east side for photo opportunities and beach bars, (beach club at Punta Morena for kids);

Punta Sur park with sea crocodiles and lighthouse;

El Cedral with small old church.

Read the thread "hiring a driver for the day' for more ideas. Let us know the type of activity they would prefer.

It would be just for them to be alone a bit ... me my dh and 4 kids would do a beach and shoppping probably ... we've been to cozumel several times and would to back to mikes beach but i don't think it exists anymore so we'll prob just find another beach .... my parents would prob be more interested in history type thing ... mom would love to shop not necessarily dad though ... the crocs and lighthouse maybe ... the church .... i am trying to get ideas for them to pick from ... it seems the excursions from ship involve walking somehow and they don't want to have to slow anyone down ... where is the thread hiring a driver for day ... they might be interested in that? thank you

It would be just for them to be alone a bit ... me my dh and 4 kids would do a beach and shoppping probably ... we've been to cozumel several times and would to back to mikes beach but i don't think it exists anymore so we'll prob just find another beach .... my parents would prob be more interested in history type thing ... mom would love to shop not necessarily dad though ... the crocs and lighthouse maybe ... the church .... i am trying to get ideas for them to pick from ... it seems the excursions from ship involve walking somehow and they don't want to have to slow anyone down ... where is the thread hiring a driver for day ... they might be interested in that? thank you

OK. The thread "hiring a driver for a day" is further down this page, at the moment, with a (blue?)icon. It is a very popular and long running thread so for recent reports go to the last few pages. If you can't find it go to the search engine for this forum.

The website for ToursPlaza can be found there, or via Google. Prices and further suggestions for places to visit can be found on their website. They are very prompt to reply and address any special requests. Each tour is customized. I have used them several times for both couples and groups. Transport has generally been in a van, even for 2 people, with a step stool if necessary for entering and leaving. If this is a problem you could request a station wagon.

If you don't book a driver in advance you can always get a taxi at the end of the pier, prices are listed but should be checked with the driver before leaving. An island tour, which I think is 3(?) hours, is listed at $70, some people report being able to negotiate. The problem with this is you may/may not get a driver who speaks English (if that is important to you) and you cannot rely on getting suggestions to customize your tour.

Regarding Mikes Bar, prices are still listed at the taxi dispatch but I haven't seen any reports for at least a couple of years and I seem to remember reading that it was only used for special events now.

Here's a link to the "hire a driver" board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=545681

Archived