Queens/Queen's Room

ToadOfToadHall

Whilst read the thread on the "quality" of passengers, I was composing a reply in my head about the use of Queens Room or Queen's Room but when I came to add my reply the thread had disappeared before my very keyboard and mouse !!

Anyway, taking UK hotel names and having a quick google about there appears to be numerous hotels called The Queens Hotel and an equal number called The Queen's Hotel. There's also one where I live called The Queen Hotel (i.e. no "s" at all).

So maybe the name Queens Room is correct as opposed to Queen's Room ? (judging by hotel names). Of course, I might be talking rubbish.

Whilst read the thread on the "quality" of passengers, I was composing a reply in my head about the use of Queens Room or Queen's Room but when I came to add my reply the thread had disappeared before my very keyboard and mouse !! Anyway, taking UK hotel names and having a quick google about there appears to be numerous hotels called The Queens Hotel and an equal number called The Queen's Hotel. There's also one where I live called The Queen Hotel (i.e. no "s" at all). So maybe the name Queens Room is correct as opposed to Queen's Room ? (judging by hotel names). Of course, I might be talking rubbish.
Hi ToadOfToadHall,

As I posted on an earlier thread,

As far as I am aware (and I could be wrong of course :o ), in 1969 the first Queens Room on QE2 was named for the Cunard ships Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, not after a monarch.

So it is The Queens Room, not The Queen's Room, as the room does not belong to a queen.

None of the brochures/books I have from 1969 (or shortly afterwards) has the ' . Only in a handful of later books does it creep in.

The Queens Room on QM2, QV and QE have followed of course.

As I said, I could be wrong (have been in the past, will be so again), so sorry if I am :o.

I guess we really need Cunard to confirm what they were intending, but I doubt that anyone at Cunard would give you the correct answer.

However if you look at the way Cunard referred to the grills. The Princess Grill (singular) and The Queens Grill (Plural) Who knows what they mean with the ballroom...

I guess we really need Cunard to confirm what they were intending, but I doubt that anyone at Cunard would give you the correct answer.

However if you look at the way Cunard referred to the grills. The Princess Grill (singular) and The Queens Grill (Plural) Who knows what they mean with the ballroom...

Beats me..I'm still trying to work out the "Grill" thing.

The Queens Grill is surely singular or else it would be the Queens Grills, as if you are talking of all of the Queens Grills on the three ships as opposed to the single Queens Grill on say QM2

It's all about how it sounds.

Queens Grill sounds better and more appropriate than Queen Grill. And Princess Grill sounds better than Princesses Grill (which in my mind stirs images of Disney princesses standing around a BBQ hot plate).

There is no need for an apostrophe in The Queens Room. As mentioned, it's not named after a queen. Therefore, there is no possessive.

Now, the more important question is why did Cunard use a 2 for Queen Mary 2? Unlike QE2 there was no need to differentiate from the reigning monarch.

Historically, reusing the names of ships was common. I'm reminded of the Mauretania of 1938 (officially written as Mauretania (II)) - following the namesake of the famous Blue Ribband holder from the beginning of the century.

As far as I am aware (and I could be wrong of course :o ), in 1969 the first Queens Room on QE2 was named for the Cunard ships Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, not after a monarch.

So it is The Queens Room, not The Queen's Room, as the room does not belong to a queen.

My memory may be faulty as well, but on QM2 the Queens Room has portraits of royal women and no pictures of ships. Just sayin'.

Now, the more important question is why did Cunard use a 2 for Queen Mary 2? Unlike QE2 there was no need to differentiate from the reigning monarch.

Well probably to stop it being mistaken as QM II (Eleven)

overall better than some of the alternative

QM2 The Liner Strikes Back

QM2 Returns

QM2 and The Temple of Cunard

QM2 Judgement Sail

QM2 First Class (would have called for all Staterooms to be Suites):D

So it's not named after the New York borough? That could possibly explain why I have been unable to find the Bronx Room, the Manhattan Room, etc. anywhere on the ship.

Archived