American Cemetery in Normandy Closed

Pet Nit Noy

I was reading an article in the Washington Post this morning about the process of shutting down the government. The article focused on one office, the American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC). The article said that the ABMC administers 24 overseas cemeteries and 26 memorials, monuments, and markers, and it specifically mentioned the American cemetery at Normandy.

I didn't post this link so people could vent their political feelings about the situation that led to the government shutdown. I posted it so cruisers could make appropriate plans for their port call days in Normandy.

• 2 weeks later...
I have checked on french newspapers.. It's true. It's incredible...

Why is it incredible? The U.S. government is shut down. Among other things, it means that public areas administered by the federal government are closed. National parks in the U.S. are closed.

Sad, yes, but not incredible.

Because it's not normal.. for me ! Employees are paid to stay at home... They are on "French laws" but where they work is on american laws.

And another thing. Don't forget what it is !! It's used as a bargaining chip. I can't believe it.

I'm sorry but you can maybe understand that i have another culture. For me, it's incredible. But i respect your opinion.

Because it's not normal.. for me ! Employees are paid to stay at home... They are on "French laws" but where they work is on american laws.

And another thing. Don't forget what it is !! It's used as a bargaining chip. I can't believe it.

I'm sorry but you can maybe understand that i have another culture. For me, it's incredible. But i respect your opinion.

Well, it's not normal in the US either. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that this is normal.

Several misconceptions in your post:

o The employees are not being paid to stay home. At the moment, there are no provisions for furloughed employees to be paid for their missed days of work even though they are wholly blameless for their absence.

o In what way do you believe US employees of the US government are "on French law"? In the US, every French consulate and the French embassy in Washington, DC is "France" -- not a French office on American soil. The reverse is true in this situation. Therefore, the employees of the cemetery are "on US law."

Well now I've broken my own plea that we avoid political discussion in this thread. I'm not going to post any more regardless of what anyone posts that is political.

Read this:

"un employé a confirmé que les cimetières américains étaient "tous fermés" et que les employés "restent à la maison, mais ils seront payés car nous sommes sous la loi française"."

If you need, use google translator.

Source: http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/shutdown-les-cimetieres-americains-en-france-sont-fermes-03-10-2013-1738605_23.php

Well, it's not normal in the US either. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that this is normal.

Several misconceptions in your post:

o The employees are not being paid to stay home. At the moment, there are no provisions for furloughed employees to be paid for their missed days of work even though they are wholly blameless for their absence.

o In what way do you believe US employees of the US government are "on French law"? In the US, every French consulate and the French embassy in Washington, DC is "France" -- not a French office on American soil. The reverse is true in this situation. Therefore, the employees of the cemetery are "on US law."

Well now I've broken my own plea that we avoid political discussion in this thread. I'm not going to post any more regardless of what anyone posts that is political.

I believe they are talking about French employees of the US Government. (For example, ground keepers.) They are subject to French labor laws, such as minimum wage, taxes, layoff rules, etc. They do not pay US taxes or have diplomatic immunity. They are not US consular employees who are only subject to US laws.

We were in Normandy doing a D-Day excursion on Oct. 1, and while we were focusing on Juno Beach the talk amongst the guides and then that evening on board ship with fellow passengers was about the American Cemetery closure. It unfortunately effected a number of people who were really looking forward to going to the cemetery.

The situation was that only 2 employees at the American cemetery are actually Americans and they were furloughed. The rest of the employees are French citizens and by French employment law were in fact continuing to be paid even though they were locked out.

Archived