question on ordering multiple appetizers/entrees

TrinaLC

I know you can do it, but i have a couple of questions

Is it best to order them all upfront at once? Like "I'll have X&Y appetizers, and A&B entrees"? Do they bring them sequentially, as 4 courses, or multiple plates, 2 courses, or combine the plates into 1 for each course?

If you start w/ 1 appetizer and decide after it is served that you want another, can you still order it? same with entree?

I like the idea of having multiples, but want it to be the least awkward possible ...

It depends. If you are familiar with the items and you know you're hungry enough to eat both, I would order them both upfront. However, if you're unsure about your appetite or the item in question (perhaps you just want to try something new that looks good on the menu), I would order just the one, new item first. If you don't like it, there's nothing wrong with telling the waiter that it just doesn't suit your taste, and have the waiter bring you the back-up dish. Similarly, if you're done with a dish and would like another, just ask for another one.

Two dishes are not normally combined onto a single dish. If you're talking about entrees, you'll probably get all the side dishes along with the second entree.

You can ask to have the dishes served whatever way you like. Just ask your waiter to serve them sequentially or together. I'm sure your waiter will accommodate you either way.

Have ordered 2 appitizers at a time. They brought them at the same time. It is easier. I have also ordered 4 appitizers as a meal. They do a good job unless they are busy. You might have to remind them but you can order whatever you want and as many as you want.

I'm very much a fan of ordering as you go so you don't waste food. I'm sure if you do this frequently that you know your appetite, but some people out there don't. It always bothers me when people go to buffets for example, load up plates with giant amounts of food and then throw away half of it. Why don't they take a reasonable amount of food and then go up for seconds if they really want them? There really are still starving people out there in the world, so I suppose it makes me sad each time I see that happen.

I doubt many people take doggie bags back to their rooms from the various cruise restaurants :)

My hubby orders two entrees if he sees two he would like, he gets both at the same time (crowded table - lol). Also, if he likes the appitizer, he gets two (like shrimp cocktail) or he may want two different ones. They come together. Occationally he decides later, after seeing the person next to him's appitizer, tha he would like to try it, and doesn't hesitate to ask. The waiters don't mind at all, they usually have fun with him.

Sometimes he orders two desserts. Sometimes he tries one than asks for another.

All the other passengers that I have sailed with do the same thing. Don't hesitate to ask for exactly what you want, and if you don't like what you tried, don't feel funny about saying so and ordering something else. They want you to be satisfied. Many a cruise line is judged by their food, and dining room staff, and they know it and strive to be the best. They take great pride in this.

Hope this helps.

At the Impressions restaurant on the Dawn, I mentioned that I didn't know if I would like the grilled swordfish. Our server said she would also bring the chicken parmigiano (spelling?) . I thought that she would bring just the chicken but she brought 2 complete dinners. Such a waste, just tasted the chicken, she was going to throw it out anyway. By the way, the swordfish was very good. At Cagney's, my nephew asked and got 2 shrimp cocktails.

I was on the Star a few years back and was trying to decide between two desserts. I asked the waiter about both of them and told him I was trying to decide. He said, it's ok, I will bring them both! (he did and I ate one and had him put a cover on the other one and took it back to my cabin for a late night snack....mmmm) Moral of story: be careful what you say around the waiters or you may get two!!

TrinaLC~

Here's another hint:)

We were in the Venetian for lunch one afternoon. Avocado (which I LOVE) was on the menu but the item with it (I can't recall what it was) was something that I did not like. So, I skipped that entree.

While we were eating, 4 people came in and sat next to us. They also did not like what was offered with the avocado. They were smart enough to ask if they could just order a plate of the avocado as an appetizer!!!! With dressing on the side. It was so good that they ordered another plate of the avocado:mad:

Boy! Was I jealous! I should have ordered it for dessert!

Live and learn. Don't be afraid to ask for anything...they really do want to make you happy!

Can't wait for your review:)

I agree that the wait staff will do whatever they can to insure that you are happy and satisfied.

DW and I often order an extra "something" (appetizer, entree, or dessert) to split. We were raised with the "take all you want but eat all you take" philosophy.

Charlie

Just back last week from a week on the Star. I was so full by the end, that the last 2 nights, I'd have 3 appetizers, 1 soup, 1 salad, and a dessert, no entree. It was perfect. I ordered up front, since they have to go to the kitchen each time you order something else, to bring it out...He just had all the appetizers sitting at his station, and brought them to me one by one...

Just back last week from a week on the Star. I was so full by the end, that the last 2 nights, I'd have 3 appetizers, 1 soup, 1 salad, and a dessert, no entree. It was perfect. I ordered up front, since they have to go to the kitchen each time you order something else, to bring it out...He just had all the appetizers sitting at his station, and brought them to me one by one...

Yup...yup..yup...that's why I love crusing:)

I forgot to mention that we do order up front.

And yes, be carful what you say to the waiter. If he has the slightest inkling that you might enjoy something, it may very well appear on your table.

Charlie

I know you can do it, but i have a couple of questions

Is it best to order them all upfront at once? Like "I'll have X&Y appetizers, and A&B entrees"? Do they bring them sequentially, as 4 courses, or multiple plates, 2 courses, or combine the plates into 1 for each course?

If you start w/ 1 appetizer and decide after it is served that you want another, can you still order it? same with entree?

I like the idea of having multiples, but want it to be the least awkward possible ...

Trina,

My DH orders two of the same thing (meat, fish, shrimp, etc) sometimes but tells the server to put them both on the same plate. Heaven forbid he should get more veggies:eek:

If I order 2 different app. they will give them sequentially on 2 different plates, orrrrrr, if I want the app. to be my dinner I tell them to double up and make it my dinner.

Cruise dining is all about choice and enjoyment, no stress, so have a great time:D

This thread brought to mind this experience. A few years ago, shrimp cocktail was an appetizer one particular evening. I asked our waiter (Garbor) how many shrimp there were. He also said "I'll keep bringing them until you tell me to stop". The shrimp cocktail arrived, 4 shrimp I believe...which I immediately consumed. The very moment I finished, the plate was whisked away, and another was in it's place. Surprised, I offered to share with my tablemates...they declined, so I ate them all. AGAIN, as soon as I finished, another one replaced it. I was in shock!!...and I quickly caught Garbor's eye, raised my hands, and yelled STOP!! We both laughed out loud! He certainly "meant" what he said...LOL I often wonder, just how many more he had waiting to be served!! :)

Go enjoy!!...just be careful what you ask for!!! :D They do aim to please!!!

DH and I ordered FOUR desserts the night of our last cruise and I hate to admit we ate them all. ;) It was such an extreme display of gluttony I had to take a picture of the table with all our desserts laid out.

When I ordered an extra lobster tail on our first cruise they brought out an entire entree with TWO tails and whatever else was on the plate- I can't remember, but it was WAY more than I could eat. It's really difficult to avoid some sort of waste eating on a cruise because like many pointed out here, the servers will do whatever they can to make you happy.

Another example of this happened on our last cruise when I ordered a soup I'd never had before. Again, I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't my cup of tea. When the server came by to remove plates he was worried there was something wrong! I had to assure him I'd just ordered it out of curiosity more than anything and there wasn't something *wrong* with the soup.

Exploring new tastes is one of the joys of dining on a cruise- order away!!!

Just another suggestion. DH often orders a "1/2 order" of the featured pasta, for example, in addn to his entree. It "seems" to result in a smaller portion and you get just the dish, no extra veggies.

In our experience, if you order 2 entrees you get one right after the other, trimmings and all.:eek:

I've asked for the buffalo chicken wings (w/blue cheese dressing:p), served as an appetizer at lunch in Venetian, to be my entree. No problem there, just sticky fingers!!:D

STOP !!!!! You're making me drool........

Been on two cruises (Carnival & Commodore). The Carnival was great and just as everyone else has said, they will keep bringing the food till your eyes pop out. (Yes... even lobster.)

But on the Commodore cruise line, it was a completely story. They had a midnight buffet with the longest line I have ever seen. You would have thought they were serving money instead of food. At the head of the buffet they had a large shrimp display, and the crew would serve them.... NO MORE than 2 Shrimp per person. Each night at dinner they had a "Chef's Surprise" specialty. One night it was "Shrimp Surprise" with a gigantic mound of rice and one little tiny shrimp buried in the mound of rice. The next night it was "Fish Surprise"... yep, you got it.... another gigantic mound of rice with a microscopic pc of fish in the middle.

Maybe that's why Commodore is not around anymore. We still had a lot of fun on the cruise, thank goodness, they had plenty of drink specials each day.

I think it's the greatest part of cruising.... the food.

In the buffet lines , we always teach the kids NOT to waste it... we tell them they can eat all they want, just take it a little at a time.

We're going on the Spirit Aug.20th, and I have already started to think about what foods I want to try first...... Can hardly wait !

I have to agree about the service and asking for what you want. My friend was so excited about steak and lobster night (she's a huge lobster fan). She ordered her lobster, finished it, and then was afraid to ask for another....she finally did and they brought it right out to her. She even asked for creme brulee, which wasn't on the menu that night, and the waiter offered to have some made for the next day (and brought to whatever restaurant we wanted!). It's service like that that makes the Dawn an amazing place to spend your vacation!:D

Archived