Belize??? sooo confused

kaeffe

So if we want to go to Caye Caulker? do we only need to take a water taxi there? And is that just beach and snorkeling or is there sites to see, a good place to eat? Is this something we (hubby, self and 17 yr old son) can do ourselves and is it safe. We will be there Christmas week. We don't like ship excursions, but want to be safe and there is so much talk about Belize being unsafe. Our favorite thing to do in port is to see points of interest and do some beach and snorkeling time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes take a water taxi, earlier the better and pay close attention to return times so that you get back to the tender pier before your ship's last tender. Remember Belize is on Central time.

On CC head up toward the split, to your right off the dock, that's where the better snorkeling is. Plenty of little places to eat along the street on your way. Lazy Lizard up at the split is a good all around stop for drins and lighter lunch. Used to be a guy, Carlos, up by the soccer field, on the beach before the split, who had a small grill where he cooked his morning catch and sold it. Great stuff and very cheap. Not sure if he's still there or not, or if there's more than one person doing this now. Terry's Grill, on the west side near Wish Willy's or Pizza Caulker, on Pasero Street, are two other good choices. There's a good bakery near the water taxi dock.

So when we get off the ship (Carnival Sunshine) how do we get to the water taxi, do we walk to the water taxi. Will we be safe walking there. Also any tips or suggestions on what to do in Belize would be greatly appreciated.

So if we want to go to Caye Caulker? do we only need to take a water taxi there? And is that just beach and snorkeling or is there sites to see, a good place to eat? Is this something we (hubby, self and 17 yr old son) can do ourselves and is it safe. We will be there Christmas week. We don't like ship excursions, but want to be safe and there is so much talk about Belize being unsafe. Our favorite thing to do in port is to see points of interest and do some beach and snorkeling time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We will be taking the water taxi for the first time to Caye Caulker in just over two weeks. We stopped at Caye Caulker on a snorkel tour last time we cruised to Belize. I'll report back afterwards if you're interested.

So when we get off the ship (Carnival Sunshine) how do we get to the water taxi, do we walk to the water taxi. Will we be safe walking there. Also any tips or suggestions on what to do in Belize would be greatly appreciated.

Out the gate at the tender pier. Turn left, stay on same side of street as tender pier. Walk up about 2 blocks. You'll see the entrance to the water taxi, Brown Sugar Terminal for Belize Express.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/#!schedule/c22wn

If you reach the swing bridge you've gone too far.

If you want the Caye Caulker Water taxi terminal it's just beyond the swing bridge on Front Street (just keep walking on th esame street you are on. http://cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/

Note these are 2 different watert axi companies but both go to CC.

Use the one with the best schedule for you. But I suggest getting a return no later than 1:30PM Belize, though CC taxi's 2:15P could work, if your ship's last tender is after 4PM Eastern/ship time.

Out the gate at the tender pier. Turn left, stay on same side of street as tender pier. Walk up about 2 blocks. You'll see the entrance to the water taxi, Brown Sugar Terminal for Belize Express.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/#!schedule/c22wn

If you reach the swing bridge you've gone too far.

If you want the Caye Caulker Water taxi terminal it's just beyond the swing bridge on Front Street (just keep walking on th esame street you are on. http://cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/

Note these are 2 different watert axi companies but both go to CC.

Use the one with the best schedule for you. But I suggest getting a return no later than 1:30PM Belize, though CC taxi's 2:15P could work, if your ship's last tender is after 4PM Eastern/ship time.

OP, I was looking up the water taxi information and found this site:

http://guidetobelize.info/en/travel/belize-water-taxi-timetable-guide.shtml

Apparently there were 2 water taxi companies leaving Belize City for Caye Caulker, but now is only 1, and they take longer, etc.

I decided to post this because you'll probably want to allow more time than you would if you were thinking they ran on time.

Hopefully between the 3 sites you'll get the informtion you need. :)

We will be taking the water taxi for the first time to Caye Caulker in just over two weeks. We stopped at Caye Caulker on a snorkel tour last time we cruised to Belize. I'll report back afterwards if you're interested.

I am very interested in your experience. We are going mid November and debating on Caye Caulker or Goffs Caye. With the water taxi schedule I am just not sure of how long we would actually have at the Caye. It looks like we would have to take the 130 trip back and don't know if that is enough time by the time we get out there. We leave port at 5 pm. Have fun!

Oh please let me know about your experience with the water taxi. We will be in Belize from 8 to 5 although since we have to tender there, and then take the water taxi to Caye Caulker then the water taxi back, then the tender again to the ship---do we have enough time?

Oh please let me know about your experience with the water taxi. We will be in Belize from 8 to 5 although since we have to tender there, and then take the water taxi to Caye Caulker then the water taxi back, then the tender again to the ship---do we have enough time?

Will do!

If your ship stays on ship time then your port times will be 7-4 Belize time. So you could get the 8am or 9am taxi out and take the 1:30pm taxi back. We are on Carnival and purchased FTTF so are hoping to get the 8am taxi.

If you're concerned about timing...we also considered getting transportation via Coral Breeze. They offer it for $44/pp and you basically get dropped before they take their snorkel excursions out. It's double the cost of the water taxi, but you have dedicated transportation. $20 more would be WELL worth my peace of mind if we were cutting it close on our port times.

They have some negative reviews for their snorkel tours since they switched from using hammerhead (which was their provider when we used them). But this is just a boat ride.

• 4 weeks later...

See my response in Caye Caulker, Is It Worth The Visit. Will give you more information re: the water taxi. Very EASY to use and get to CC. Very reliable. No worries there. Keep in mind, though, you have to tender off the ship before you can catch the 45 min water taxi. Cruise ship excursions are given 1st priority for ship tenders. On our Feb 2013 cruise stop to Belize I think it was just shy of 10 a.m. by the time our tender arrived at the pier. :(

Really great island, but not for everyone. Depends on your personal tastes.