I'm in trouble

:eek: just sat on my daughters bed to help her organize her packing......well u see--I purchased a very large suitcase bec she is traveling to Italy in October..well--------she STARTED to pack.....so far there r enough clothes in there for 3 weeks!!!!!! and she isnt even close to being done......and she has dozens of flip flops to pack.......atleast she is lugging her own suitcase.....

anyone encountering the same thing??? LOLOLOL

Have a wonderful night everyone, Shari

my sister has a suitcase for her shoes alone and so does my stepdaughter. If you fly they have weight limits and a limit to how many suitcases you can bring. But if your not flying you should be OK

I over packed for my 1st cruise but not since learned my lesson the hard way

Karen

Per bag, and some airlines are even lower, 40lbs.I am an overpacker too and then you have to think about that you will bring back more than you took! so have to leave room for that.

Per bag, and some airlines are even lower, 40lbs.I am an overpacker too and then you have to think about that you will bring back more than you took! so have to leave room for that.

40lbs!!??? I guess I will just pack my two tuxes and fresh underwear and thats it. :o

Guest OBAYbee
40lbs!!??? I guess I will just pack my two tuxes and fresh underwear and thats it. :o

LMAO! Which will you wear on formal night?? ;)

You better check with your airline and see how many pieces and what the weight limit is. I believe for international flights it is 70 lbs and two pieces of checked luggage.

Stacky is correct......70 lbs for international. But checking with each airlines is the best bet.

Shazzz......my daughter packs the same way....says she needs "options"!! As for the flip-flops.....last cruise we went on, we were joking that she brought enough flip-flops to make an emergency lifeboat for the entire family!

Well, I've never taken dozens of flip flops, but I have taken too many shoes in the past. Experience put a stop to it, but I have a teenage daughter and I know telling her won't do any good. Make sure to take along one on those plastic shoe organizers that hang on the back of the bathroom door, otherwise, she will have no place to put all those flip flops. That way, she can see the flops, plus no one will have to trip over the pile.

We are always too busy, or too lazy, to take care of that much stuff. Packing light has many advantages, less to organize and haul, less to keep track of. I take one pair of flip flops for the pool, it's nice to not have that decision to make :)

Weight limit is 50 pounds per bag..a result of two many workman's comp claims I think.

Nope its to make more money. There are a couple of Airlines that are above 50lbs. Southwest, jetblue. After 9/11 this took affect. Some might say because of Workmans comp claim, but people doubt that. Delta was pretty bad when this started charging evan if you had 52lbs.

Shazzz......my daughter packs the same way....says she needs "options"!! As for the flip-flops.....last cruise we went on, we were joking that she brought enough flip-flops to make an emergency lifeboat for the entire family!

thats hysterical!!!! Have a great day

We just finished an Alaskan cruise and Alaskan airlines did weight each bag one at a time and charged $25 per bag that was over 50 lbs to 75 lbs. The family in front of us had 3 bags that weighed over 50 lbs and had to pay $75.

One of our bags weighed 52 lbs but the ticket lady let it go, I think if your close to the 50lb mark and have a pleasant attitude they will let a close one slide, but if your a bear it will cost you. Keep in mind this was for Alaskan air.

Just flew Southwest and it was 50lb out of Nashville. I guess it would be the same everywhere. We had one person who just paid the extra and one who moved things from her bag to other peoples to keep from it. We did curbside and the weight was checked. I guess you just never know.

Nope its to make more money. There are a couple of Airlines that are above 50lbs. Southwest, jetblue. After 9/11 this took affect. Some might say because of Workmans comp claim, but people doubt that. Delta was pretty bad when this started charging evan if you had 52lbs.

more weight=more fuel needed

pilots need to fly a plane on the whole "weight and balance ratio"

Some airlines are 70lbs per bag with a limit of 3 checked bags. Check with your airline for mre details.

T

70lb limit is for international flights (even for domestic leg of international connection), otherwise 50lb, at least on Northwest. Limit was 2 bags per person for us last month. We once had to charter an extra small plane (ouch:eek: $$$) to fit all the luggage we brought to a small hotel in a remote part of Belize...we learned our lesson after that!

This used to happen to us to but now we ususally pack OUTFITS not options. Make an outfit for each day's wear, and consider that you will have days on a cruise with a bathing suit + coverup rather than an outfit. Make sure you

define your outfits according to the dinner dress codes.

Then, resist the dark side and pack shoes that work with more than one

outfit. Pack 2 or 3 swimsuits, not 7. One pair of flip flops. Okay, two.

A pair of sneakers or decent walking shoes for onshore. A decent pair

of shoes or sandals for the dining room formals and another for casual nights (let's not get into flip flops at dinner again, haha).

We just finished an Alaskan cruise and Alaskan airlines did weight each bag one at a time and charged $25 per bag that was over 50 lbs to 75 lbs. The family in front of us had 3 bags that weighed over 50 lbs and had to pay $75.

One of our bags weighed 52 lbs but the ticket lady let it go, I think if your close to the 50lb mark and have a pleasant attitude they will let a close one slide, but if your a bear it will cost you. Keep in mind this was for Alaskan air.

We live in Alaska and fly Alaska Air all the time (it's the only option to/from Fairbanks). They are usually sticklers about that... we actually moved over a couple of pounds of items from one bag to another once on a return flight. After that incident, DH bought a fish scale and brings it with us so that we can weigh our luggage and reorganize if needed (BEFORE we are at the airport!) :D

:eek: just sat on my daughters bed to help her organize her packing......well u see--I purchased a very large suitcase bec she is traveling to Italy in October..well--------she STARTED to pack.....so far there r enough clothes in there for 3 weeks!!!!!! and she isnt even close to being done......and she has dozens of flip flops to pack.......atleast she is lugging her own suitcase.....

anyone encountering the same thing??? LOLOLOL

Have a wonderful night everyone, Shari

When My daughter was a teenager she tried to pull the same thing, not on a cruise but a family trip we were driving . I told her she could bring 2 suitcases because of space in the car, well she came out to the car from her room with 4. I told her to go repack but just said I need everything. well to make a long story short I gave her one more chance and she would not budge. I told her I would it for her I got all her cases took them in the house and opened them all and got a large plastic trash bag and put half of her stuff in the bag, put it in the car picked her up and put her in the car and drove off. I just made shure she knew who the parent is, and who the child is and who is in charge.

guess what I won, daughter lost

Bob

more weight=more fuel needed

pilots need to fly a plane on the whole "weight and balance ratio"

I seriously doubt this is a big deal or the underlying reason. The proof is in the fact that as we see by all the replies, every airline has a different limit. We also know that in addition to carrying passengers and their luggage, almost all airlines are carrying additional cargo.

If this were really the case, how far are we away from the day when they start putting height and weight restrictions on passengers and being charged extra at check-in if you are over some certain specified limits?

Howard

Archived