Lubeck & Schwerin (Celebrity)

We have done both - not on the same trip. Both were easy to get to by train from Warnemunde via Rostock. When we did it last year there was even a special train fare for travel to those towns so it was very inexpnsive.Lubbeck is much bigger with alot more going on. It ss a medievea town that was part of the Hanseatic League. You can get on a city tour bus there.Schwerin was quaint and has a beautiful castle that was then and still is under scaffolding due to restoration. We sat by the lake and enjoyed the beer and the view. I did not tour inside the castle but that is another option. We also got great pictures in the garden. I would recommend either place as an alternative to Berlin. Gien a choice I think I would go to Lubbeck jsut becaseu ther is mroe to see and do. Also, you would have plenty of time to seeRostock on the way back and also walk around Warnemunde .

We did both Schwerin and Lubeck (with a detour through Wismar on the way back) out of Warnemunde in May. Rented a van from Avis, who met us on the dock. Had great weather that day and enjoyed driving on the Autobahn (not scary in that part of Germany-open land far from industry), as well as on small roads through the countryside. The castle in Schwerin will be under scaffolding through October of 05, but only parts of it are affected at a time, so you can still take beautiful pictures. We did go through the castle and enjoyed it very much. I saw a painting that I'd like to know more about that looked like a modern collage but was done in the 1840's. The tearoom or cafe inside the castle looked wonderful, but we didn't take the time for refreshments as we wanted to be sure to have time in Lubeck and get the van back before 6pm after which there is a hefty surcharge (100 Euro?). I confess to having been just a little disappointed in Lubeck, but I think it was because it was so hard to find a place to park where we could stroll and see the medieval buildings. We did get to the Niederigger Conditorei for the famous marzipan (made great gifts as well as delicious treats for us weary travellers and deserves its' reputation). The Rathaus was impressive. Once again there was scaffolding in the town. I think if we had taken more time to explore the city I probably would have loved it. I have to say the place we all wished we'd had more time to explore was Wismar. Its Markplatz was the most charming of any we saw, and the market set up inside it looked very appealing. But it was a last minute detour just to see it and the heavy traffic due to some work being done on an ancient, narrow city street took up much of our little time there. We truly enjoyed the "road trip" and I would heartily recommend it. We did learn later that the best preserved medieval church was in Rostock, and we never went there. Do be sure to stroll out to the promenade along the water in Warnemunde. We did in the evening, as it stays light so late, and shops were open, though they started closing as we walked back-perhaps around 8. You do walk through a Coney Island type of place on the way to the promenade, but just follow the people and you will get to the charming part of the town, with the surprise of a long stretch of white sand beach at the end and colorful cabanas dotting the sand. I read on another post later that a restaurant called Twee was highly recommended along the Warnemunde promenade.

Archived