Christmas gift ideas from Cozumel

maxxboy

We'll be in Cozumel just a few days before Christmas. Any suggestions for small gifts to bring back for Christmas? I have 4 cousins who are married and would rather give them something that both they and their spouses could enjoy instead of something for him and something for her.

We'll be in Cozumel just a few days before Christmas. Any suggestions for small gifts to bring back for Christmas? I have 4 cousins who are married and would rather give them something that both they and their spouses could enjoy instead of something for him and something for her.

My favorite thing to pick up every trip to Cozumel are those woven cotton blankets they sell for $5 or less everywhere.

They have that Mexican look, and get used year round as throws while watching TV, etc...

Always have the old standards, like Maracas, sombreros, mexican wrestler masks, real Vanilla for bakers, Kahlua and Tequila for drinkers, silver, etc..

Bill

In November 2005, we went to Los Cinco Soles (the Five Suns) to pick up our complimentary bottle of Kahlua with the coupon we got in one of the promotional packs. It's located about 4-5 blocks north/left of the square on the waterfront as you come off the pier. We picked up Christmas tree ornaments there and a manger/creche/figure set. Also, pick up vanilla extract (make sure it says "does not contain coumarin") which is incredibly cheap, or was when we went there.

Also, if your cruise is also going to Belize and Roatan, both stops have AMAZINGLY beautiful woodworks, with their natural woods.

Bought some nice, wood carved Christmas ornaments in Belize and some nice wooden carved bowls in Roatan.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestions. Cozumel will be our main shopping destination on our Western Caribbean cruise and the blankets sound like a great suggestion. Also thought about the vanilla (without coumarin) but not sure how small of bottles would be available since we're flying. Not looking for anything too souvenir-ish so keep the suggestions coming!!

• 5 weeks later...

We are going in two weeks. I've been looking at the threads to figure out what we are going to do while there. I really think this will be the funniest port to shop at. I heard someone in another thread talk about an outlet mall where you can get authentic coach purses at a discount. Not sure if that is up your alley.

They have beautiful hand painted serving bowls/plates. Price is right if you negotiate, especially if you need to purchase a few.

this kind of hand painted ceramic is named "Talavera" in the link below you can see more

https://www.google.com/search?q=talavera&client=gmail&rls=gm&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Md17UreHFImokQfSmoHgBw&ved=0CG0QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=767

Maybe I'm kinda strange, but I love to go to grocery stores in foreign countries! I went to the "Mega" (name of large, modern grocery store in Coz ... 3 blocks from Punta Langosta pier.

We bought some microwave popcorn my family loved! it was from ACT (I think) and had ranch flavor and another one with hot pepper of some sort (saw this is finally available on Amazon but is outrageously priced). I poke around the cooking aisles and grab all kinds of little specialty sauces, seasonings and spices (found some really great ones here! Tasty, inexpensive little stocking stuffers for those that like to cook or entertain). Of course there is vanilla and liquor, etc. (or banana flavored pop in Honduras). I bought a bar of soap that was awesome too! lol

Well, I DID say I was kinda strange!

Great ideas!! Where exactly can you get the blankets and serving dishes? We'll be spending the day at Money Bar so where should we go from there to do some shopping?

You'll get much better deals and variety if you go into town and away from the ship piers. Go off the main block a few streets and you'll get the best deals.

They have beautiful hand painted serving bowls/plates. Price is right if you negotiate, especially if you need to purchase a few.

I have bought some of the hand painted bowls/plates and think they're great gifts. I wanted one for myself to use for the rotisserie chickens some of us buy ready made in Whole Foods or other grocery markets. I bought a plate the perfect size to put our chicken on and always smile when I take it out. :) I recall how carefully picked which pattern I liked best.

My favorite thing to pick up every trip to Cozumel are those woven cotton blankets they sell for $5 or less everywhere.

They have that Mexican look, and get used year round as throws while watching TV, etc...

Always have the old standards, like Maracas, sombreros, mexican wrestler masks, real Vanilla for bakers, Kahlua and Tequila for drinkers, silver, etc..

Bill

Will be in Cozumel next month and would love to pick up some of the blankets. Where can I get them?