NCL Spirit - Dress Code

rhinomike

I don't want to start a debate here... But on Carnival I always wear shorts, tshirt and nice sandals in the MDR. I know that is not within dress code buy I seem to it in. On formal night I wear slacks and a polo shirt with dress shoes.

We are going o be on the NCL Spirit this summer. We are also doing 2 weeks in Europe so a whole month trip. We are trying to pack light. I am hoping just to bring shorts, tshirts and sandals. I know it might not be within dress code. But in reality can I get away with this in the MDR? I don't care if I am underdressed but will they not let me in? My 4 teenage bits will be dressed the same. We love eating in the MDR but dint have room for more clothes

Hi again, I can help you with that too. You guys will be fine with shorts in one of the two MDR's for dinner (I believe Garden is the casual one) and in any one of the specialty restaurants except for Le Bistro. The Bistro (French restaurant) and one of the MDR's is always no shorts allowed, except for kids. My son was 13 last time and got away with it but next June he will be 14 and I doubt he would get away with it again :)

The menu is the same in both MDR's.

I don't want to start a debate here... But on Carnival I always wear shorts, tshirt and nice sandals in the MDR. I know that is not within dress code buy I seem to it in. On formal night I wear slacks and a polo shirt with dress shoes.

We are going o be on the NCL Spirit this summer. We are also doing 2 weeks in Europe so a whole month trip. We are trying to pack light. I am hoping just to bring shorts, tshirts and sandals. I know it might not be within dress code. But in reality can I get away with this in the MDR? I don't care if I am underdressed but will they not let me in? My 4 teenage bits will be dressed the same. We love eating in the MDR but dint have room for more clothes

You probably will get away with it. But a pair of slacks doesn't take up much room.

Unfortunately by my experience on Jade this summer, NCL will probably enforce the dress code less on all European itineraries than on itineraries elsewhere - the Maitre d' in aft MDR told me that many Europeans (referring to the big countries that usually are represented in large numbers on those itineraries - there were other cultural clashes too) won't dress up anyway and hence they (staff) won't enforce the rules.

Personally I'm against not enforcing the rules based on lazy or ignorant client base on a specific cruise - the freestyle dressing code is very simple and stricter only for dinner in two of about ten restaurants onboard. As already said, you can eat dinner in shorts anywhere but aft MDR and Le Bistro - remaining choices include the midship MDR that allows shorts, Blue Lagoon (or equivalent) and of course buffet - plus all other speciality restaurants.

We were on the Spirit this past summer and went to dinner at the aft dining room. One of the ladies in our group had long shorts - just at her knee, and she had to go change. The maitre' d was very polite, but she was not going to let our friend in with her "shorts". The rest of us were in capris and we were fine. She ran upstairs, changed, and joined us for dinner.

We were on the Spirit this past summer and went to dinner at the aft dining room. One of the ladies in our group had long shorts - just at her knee, and she had to go change. The maitre' d was very polite, but she was not going to let our friend in with her "shorts". The rest of us were in capris and we were fine. She ran upstairs, changed, and joined us for dinner.

Is that the more formal MDR or the casual MDR?

Hi again, I can help you with that too. You guys will be fine with shorts in one of the two MDR's for dinner (I believe Garden is the casual one) and in any one of the specialty restaurants except for Le Bistro. The Bistro (French restaurant) and one of the MDR's is always no shorts allowed, except for kids. My son was 13 last time and got away with it but next June he will be 14 and I doubt he would get away with it again :)

Thank you. That is what I am thinking.

Unfortunately by my experience on Jade this summer, NCL will probably enforce the dress code less on all European itineraries than on itineraries elsewhere - the Maitre d' in aft MDR told me that many Europeans (referring to the big countries that usually are represented in large numbers on those itineraries - there were other cultural clashes too) won't dress up anyway and hence they (staff) won't enforce the rules.

Personally I'm against not enforcing the rules based on lazy or ignorant client base on a specific cruise - the freestyle dressing code is very simple and stricter only for dinner in two of about ten restaurants onboard. As already said, you can eat dinner in shorts anywhere but aft MDR and Le Bistro - remaining choices include the midship MDR that allows shorts, Blue Lagoon (or equivalent) and of course buffet - plus all other speciality restaurants.

Ok. So I won't eat in the AFT MDR.... But there is another MDR that is casual with the same menu?

Ok. So I won't eat in the AFT MDR.... But there is another MDR that is casual with the same menu?

Our experience was with the formal Windows dining room (aft). The Garden room is the more casual one. Same menu.

My son was 13 last time and got away with it but next June he will be 14 and I doubt he would get away with it again :)

My 15yo son was made to go change his shorts one night at Windows.

Agree that taking one pair of pants wouldn't hurt. It actually was chilly a few nights this past summer when we were sailing in the beginning of July & I was grateful for a pair of pants & a light sweater.

As an aside, also keep in mind that you can't get into many churches/mosques unless knees are covered.

I sailed on the NCL Spirit a few years ago on a Boston-to-Bermuda cruise. I made the mistake of not reviewing the 'dress code' for NCL and did not pack any pants for the whole trip. Frankly, I never wear pants in the summer (except for formal occasions) and it never occurred to me to bring pants on a summer vacation that had hot weather every day.

As I didn't realize I was breaking the rules, we dined in Windows (the formal MDR) on 5 evenings. Nobody ever said anything, and I don't recall any disapproving looks. I realize this is subjective, but I felt better dressed in a nice polo shirt and shorts than many others in a casual t-shirt and jeans.

While I absolutely agree that NCL has every right to make its own rules, I will point out that at least in the Boston area, the only restaurants that ban shorts are much nicer restaurants than the MDRs (which I do enjoy).

I sailed on the NCL Spirit a few years ago on a Boston-to-Bermuda cruise. I made the mistake of not reviewing the 'dress code' for NCL and did not pack any pants for the whole trip. Frankly, I never wear pants in the summer (except for formal occasions) and it never occurred to me to bring pants on a summer vacation that had hot weather every day.

As I didn't realize I was breaking the rules, we dined in Windows (the formal MDR) on 5 evenings. Nobody ever said anything, and I don't recall any disapproving looks. I realize this is subjective, but I felt better dressed in a nice polo shirt and shorts than many others in a casual t-shirt and jeans.

While I absolutely agree that NCL has every right to make its own rules, I will point out that at least in the Boston area, the only restaurants that ban shorts are much nicer restaurants than the MDRs (which I do enjoy).

that's why at least one of the MDRs allows shorts at any time, for folks that refuse to wear long pants.

Archived