Comparison/Locations of Riviera PH Suites

GeezerCouple

Thank you in advance for your help --

We are trying to determine some of the pros and cons regarding 6 of the PH Suites on the Riviera: 7130 & 7135; 7128 & 7133; and 9138 & 9145.

First, we can't seem to get a clear answer from Oceania (nor can our Travel Agent) about whether 7130 & 7135 have full use of their "part" of the aft balcony, in addition to part of the extended side balcony.

(We've been told these two suites *only* have use of the side balcony, but some exterior ship photos seem clearly to show otherwise.)

Would there be a lot of noise from the Dining Room below the four PH Suites on Deck 7?

In terms of service, would these four get a bit "overlooked" given their distance from all of the other PH Suites?

And is there a reason that the wall separating the pairs of adjacent suites appears to curve near the interior passageway wall? There doesn't seem to be anything like that elsewhere.

(It's just the two of us; we don't need a sofa bed for a third person.)

And what about those two PH Suites on Deck 9, right next to one of the Owners Suites?

In terms of ship motion, how much would it differ from the PH Suites mid-ship on Deck 10.

We are considering not choosing suites mid-ship on Deck 11, because they are directly under the public deck area.

The other possibility are the PH Suites on Deck 11, located under the Oceania Suites.

--> But for these, we aren't sure about the wide overhang over the balconies from Deck 12. Does that give more of an "enclosed" or darker feel on the balconies on Deck 11, than balconies on Deck 10?

Many thanks for any other information or specific suggestions.

GeezerCouple

Thank you in advance for your help --

We are trying to determine some of the pros and cons regarding 6 of the PH Suites on the Riviera: 7130 & 7135; 7128 & 7133; and 9138 & 9145.

First, we can't seem to get a clear answer from Oceania (nor can our Travel Agent) about whether 7130 & 7135 have full use of their "part" of the aft balcony, in addition to part of the extended side balcony.

(We've been told these two suites *only* have use of the side balcony, but some exterior ship photos seem clearly to show otherwise.)

Would there be a lot of noise from the Dining Room below the four PH Suites on Deck 7?

In terms of service, would these four get a bit "overlooked" given their distance from all of the other PH Suites?

And is there a reason that the wall separating the pairs of adjacent suites appears to curve near the interior passageway wall? There doesn't seem to be anything like that elsewhere.

(It's just the two of us; we don't need a sofa bed for a third person.)

We have had 7135 on two occasions and have had the use of both the extended side balcony and the aft portion. There is a steel support on the aft that you just step through to get to the aft portion. 7135 and 7130 are smaller PH cabins, less room between the foot of the bed and the dresser portion and the closet is smaller. We did not hear any noise from the dining room.

This was the first time we had a butler, so really can't answer if our service was overlooked. Our butler the second time was superior to our butler the first time and he was servicing the Oceania Suites at the aft of Deck 12 as well as the Owner Suites. So I would say you should be fine.

7128 and 7133 are standard sized PH's with an extended balcony. We have not stayed in one of them yet, but are booked for 32 days next year in 7129. Have not stayed in either of the cabins on deck 9, but they should be identical to those on 10 and 11.

I am not sure what you are talking about with respect to the wall having a curve near the passageway wall so I can not respond to that.

We have also stayed in a PH on deck 11. Yes, it does have the overhang, but it did not bother us. If I were to book on 11 again, I would try to be aft or forward rather than mid ship in order to avoid being directly under the pool deck.

There are numerous photos of 7135 on this board if you do a search.

Cenia

We enjoyed our PH but on deck 11 did not like the overhang. Hard to take a photo coming into port, especially some with amazing views like Valletta, without it across the top. I much enjoy sitting out on the balcony both star-gazing and idly watching the clouds go by on sea days. The overhang obstructs that. I did not feel enclosed however. We will take a PH again but on a different deck. From other comments I have read here on CC it might not bother you.

I am sure location will not affect service. Room attendants are assigned to your area, butlers are available on your call plus the high end suites are 'at the ends' as well.

As for feeling motion. No one can predict when there will be noticeable motion from the sea or not. Some cruises yes, others no. That said, if you are prone to sea sickness and OTC meds are not a possibility, lower and amid-ship locations there will be less motion.

I have found noise to more likely travel down than up. Things hitting or dragged on the deck above vs room noise from below. Recent cruise we were somewhat below Waves' galley and three am or so several nights, cleaners I assume, would would drop or drag things across the floor. The GDR is not busy at breakfast or lunch so very unlikely you will hear anything from below. Many diners leave by 9 pm in order to see the show.

IMHO unlike many of cruise lines larger ships there is not a lot of difference with the cabin locations for most (other than specialties such those wanting an aft cabin to view the wake or a Visa suite to view the future)

I'll have to leave the particulars of staying in the Aft Penthouse Suites on Deck 7 to CAG (Hi Honey!) as we have never actually sailed in one, although we did TRY MIGHTILY, and oddly with the help of CAG herself to book one (loooong Story).

As the saying goes, however, a picture can be worth a thousand words, so these may prove helpful:

165046.jpg The Veranda's of both 7130 and 7135 are "L shaped", and wrap around to the stern of the ship.

141102.jpg At the corner of that "L" there is a steel stanchion with a doorway cut into it, as illustrated here.

122210.jpg What those Penthouses don't have access to is the Center portion of that aft deck, as it is a "crew only area". In this photo the crew deck may be identified by the flagstaff intended for the ship's national flag.

Hope that this helped!

Thanks very much!

Yes, this all helps a lot.

And we saw one of the photos of that Deck 7 aft balcony, which is why we (and our Travel Agent) were more than a bit confused when Oceania insisted the aft portion of that balcony was not available to those occupying the last two Penthouse Suites - just the "side" balcony area.

(We weren't sure if they had blocked it off recently, or something. "Change" is always a possibility.)

It's a shame there aren't any windows on what is an interior cabin "side" wall in those last two Suites, though.

Stan & Jim: Thank you again for the photos. We love looking at all of them!

YoHoHo: Yes, we figured any sound from below would be less of a concern from above. It's odd that so many of the PH Suites on the Riviera & on the Regatta are below a major public deck. (It's more of a problem on the Regatta, as it appears that all of the PH Suites are in that location, on Deck 8.)

And thank you especially for your candid comment about that overhang. I guess we'll try to avoid those.

ChatKat: Your two suites look to be really nice to have together. We'll look forward to your report, especially about the size difference between the two suites. Also, if you look at the Deck Plans, you'll notice that little curved area of the interior wall separating these two cabins: is it anything noticeable inside? Is the bathroom in 7128 in some way a bit smaller? Or did someone just take artistic license with the drawings? ;-)

DH and I will have to discuss this, and also see what is still available on our dates. This decision might need to wait for some future cruise.

We have no doubt that there will be many more chances in the future.

Everything about Oceania, and the Riviera especially (same for Marina?) seems really wonderful.

We'll be on the Regatta first.

Off Topic: Just took a look at the menus for La Reserve, and also some of the "regular" menus on Oceania. Thoroughly tempting!

It's so very nice to see classic-style menus, and not some of the weird ingredient combinations that some chefs seem to need in order to play "new food combination bingo". (I apologize to those to whom this seems foodie heresy. We still thoroughly enjoy many of the classics, in food, wine, literature... ;-)

Thanks again!

GeezerCouple

Archived