Royal Promenade on Quantum?

Fred C

An esplanade is a long, open, level area, usually next to a river or large body of water, where people may walk. The original meaning of esplanade was a large, open, level area outside fortress or city walls to provide clear fields of fire for the fortress' guns. In modern usage the space allows people to walk for recreational purposes; esplanades are often on sea fronts, and allow walking whatever the state of the tide, without having to walk on the beach.

Esplanade and Promenade are synonyms. But based on this definition, the shops will partially be outside? That could be interesting.

Esplanade and Promenade are synonyms. But based on this definition, the shops will partially be outside? That could be interesting.

I was thinking that could be cool, but then I was thinking that RCI sort of has this on the boardwalk on the Oasis class.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

And also with the storefronts in Central Park.

Which leads to the idea of an open air mall even more!

Could be on to something here... :)

It would be cool if it could maximise on that outdoor element ... But looking at the deck plans my only worry are the lifeboats that could obscure any sort of view and make it quite an artificial environment. The Solstice class have a similar design

But it does buy into the whole concept of the ship being able to work in multiple environments ...

I think the Royal Esplanade/Square/Promenade will look similar to this area of the RP on Oasis (less the Rising Tide bar). A two story area, possibly slightly more than two deck in height with the open area surrounded by bars & shops. It won't be as long as the Royal Promenade on other ships, more like a longer centrum. The shopping boulevard (hallway) will connect at the forward end leading to the main theater. The The shopping boulevard will feel open, having a two deck height with an overlook from the deck above to the shopping boulevard below, just like the Celebrity Solstice class ships which Quantum is based upon.

It will get some natural light from the many windows on the boat deck (second level of the space), but nowhere near the amount of natural light as the Oasis class in the RP.

1345502067_OasisRPSmall.jpg.63a5e1a17bf43168ceae0fc0e36ee938.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

In the background, behind the Getaway, is the aft end of the Quantum under construction at Meyer Werft. The face of the build you see is the part of the ship where the middle hump starts.

Anyhow, when I looked at it I thought "Hey! The hole down the middle is part of the promenade/esplanade/square in question".

Obviously, we can't make out what it will look like. As the Quantum deck plans say... MORE TO COME.

November2_amSeehafen_1_zps64cde68b.jpg

Deck 5 = the deck with the lifeboat support arm (on left side of build)

November2_amSeehafen_3_zps99858e32.jpg

November22013_zps96e69a33.jpg

Archived