MUST HAVE foods on Princess

vent1020

We're going tomorrow. Did they have Beef Wellington on the short cruise?

I read somewhere else it is served the last night of the cruise. I hope that is true, because I am planning my trip to Crown Grille and my UBD around it.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the rack of lamb! It is the absolute best! And goes perfect with the wonderful dinner rolls!:D

RACK OF LAMB :eek: Really? I LOVE Rack of Lamb. Is that in the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants?

I really love most of the Sorbets, my favorite is the Honeydew on the first night.

I will really miss the scalloped potatoes in CG.

Love the dinner rolls especially on Itallian night. And scones and cream at tea time.

I usually love the Fettuccine Alfredo and the Goat Cheese Souffle, but they are not always consistently good. It depends on how the sauces come out.

From the always available menu I love the Salmon. And the salmon in the MDR lunch when boarding.

And the crown grill has a salad with antique tomatoes that I love.

Hamburgers at lunch in MDR are better than on deck, IMHO.

And the Musili at breakfast is the best. I wish I could get some as good at home. And the papaya at breakfast is usually very good as well, though you may have to ask for it.

And now I am hungry and need to wait a month to get that chicken salad in IC for lunch.

Oh I took one bite of the honey chicken and was over it!

I'm from CA so I like pizza with a thin slightly crunchy crust with loads of sauce and toppings and just enough cheese to hold it all together. I suppose the NY style is floppy crust with lots of cheese; more about the crust and cheese and the toppings huh?

I am a Californian as well, from the bay area. My family was transferred to Ohio just before my teens. while in California, my father learned how to make pizza from our neighbors who were straight off a boat from Italy. It was a very thin crust (DH calls saltine crust), not much sauce but lots of goodies and cheese. We would have to use a knife and fork to eat as it would fall apart.

Now, living in the Cleveland/Youngstown areas, we have pizza that is middle European. Thicker crust, more tomato sauces, even different spices. Very 'bready.'

You really can not compare the two! Yes, both are 'pizza' but they are very different!

The pizza by the pool is totally different than that in Alfredos. Different toppings and crusts. We liked both. I tend to go for veggies more that meats on mine. I am allergic to all peppers and spicy food things - peppermint, wasabi, ginger. . .you get the idea. So, anything like bar-b-que is off limits too! (DH carries the hot sauce with him when I cook!) So, plain jane here can get hers her way and he can have it his way!

Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked and ate just the same old-same old every day?

I am a Californian as well, from the bay area. My family was transferred to Ohio just before my teens. while in California, my father learned how to make pizza from our neighbors who were straight off a boat from Italy. It was a very thin crust (DH calls saltine crust), not much sauce but lots of goodies and cheese. We would have to use a knife and fork to eat as it would fall apart.

Now, living in the Cleveland/Youngstown areas, we have pizza that is middle European. Thicker crust, more tomato sauces, even different spices. Very 'bready.'

You really can not compare the two! Yes, both are 'pizza' but they are very different!

The pizza by the pool is totally different than that in Alfredos. Different toppings and crusts. We liked both. I tend to go for veggies more that meats on mine. I am allergic to all peppers and spicy food things - peppermint, wasabi, ginger. . .you get the idea. So, anything like bar-b-que is off limits too! (DH carries the hot sauce with him when I cook!) So, plain jane here can get hers her way and he can have it his way!

Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked and ate just the same old-same old every day?

Very true!! :)

Yum yum!! Hoping to find Wellington on our cruise as well! Bf has never had it.

Never had Beef Wellington but, after looking it up, I don't think I ever will have it. Beef covered with pate and then a crust around it. I can't stand liver in any form. <shudder>

Never had Beef Wellington but, after looking it up, I don't think I ever will have it. Beef covered with pate and then a crust around it. I can't stand liver in any form. <shudder>

You are right to shudder. We had it in Horizon Court on the second formal night of our recent Caribbean Princess New England cruise - it was not good :(

I've only sailed one cruise, but I didn't see this listed and it was my favorite thing all week. I ordered it for appetizer and then asked for more with my meal. I'd have asked for thirds but that seemed gluttonous. :D

Watermelon Feta salad -- watermelon, feta, pumpkin seeds, olive oil. Sounds weird but sooooo good.

The above dish is a sleeper, sounds kinda' off, try it, its terrific. Cock-A Leekie soup was another one out of left field, my sis-in-law and I ordered it, was the best soup of the week. Favorite, the lobster tails in CG.

Good! More for meeeeee!!!

I just don't like liver steaks, but pate, duck liver, foie gras, etc I love!

You are right to shudder. We had it in Horizon Court on the second formal night of our recent Caribbean Princess New England cruise - it was not good :(

Don't jinx it! :eek:

Wait a minute, in HC? not in the MDR?

So is ecargot actually available every night? Last time on Allure it was on the menu as "always available" but they had none for the whole time (and from what I heard months before and after) because of a world wide shortage.

Hi,

On our Emerald cruise 2011, someone at our table asked if Escargot would offered 1 night & the waiter told us it wasn't on the menu for this cruise. our table mate then asked if this was something we could get by special request?That is exactly what we had to do make this request thru the Maitre'd for the following night. It tasted divine.

last year we knew to ask about the escargot early in our cruise, we did special order it, again it was wonderful!

Hope that helps

Kathy

I didn't care for it, either. The juices from the beef made the pastry soggy. I may give it another try, but it was not good that night. We were on the Ruby last year when I tried it.

This thread definitely made me realize how badly I need to book Princess! I've been on 5 cruises with them and loved the food every time. Just got back from trying a different line, and there was no comparison...Princess, I'll be back! Most missed = souffles!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

If you are into scorched cardboard, you will like the pizza by the pool. If not, stay away. Otherwise, Princess has the best escargot at sea. Others rave about IC; I can't comment, as we have never been on a ship that has it. Pub lunch is iffy: some great, some not so good.

We've been on the Sapphire and Coral - had LOTS of pizza by the pool - and have never had anything close to scorched cardboard. It has always been delicious. Maybe it varies by ship?

I would agree about the pub lunch - on the Coral is was OK but not great. But a nice change.

Yes, it is the one we all seem to love. I guess pizza is a real personal choice! It has taken my husband and I over 35 years to find one we both can enjoy! For years, we have gone to his favorite place and the next, to mine. We both like the pizza by the pool. We would rather get that instead of the HC on the first day!

LOL @ switching back and forth pizza places.

We are the same - get on the ship - get a bucket of beer - and pizza by the pool - watch everyone else go in and battle the crowd in the HC. However, the pizza on embarkation day is not as good as the other days on the ship. I think that it's not as fresh, maybe because there aren't many passengers getting some (or because we're overly anxious and get onboard and grab some - maybe if we got on later when they were making it fresh it might be better.)

Speaking of pizza - the room service pizza is actually different than the pizza by the pool, but very good. On the Coral we had room service pizza a couple of times. It's a small pizza - perfect for 2. The crust is a little thicker than the pizza by the pool. It's very, very good though.

Other favorites.

IC - Roasted vegie salad - and I don't like vegetables, but THIS was delicious.

Ice cream bar - milk shakes

Just came back from the CB.......and I do not remember any soufflés on the menu this time......and I looked for them. I did not eat in the MDR every night and I have to say the Creme Brûlée was very good, however, I was looking forward to a soufflé....The food was not as good as in the past year cruises and the selections were fewer.

Good! More for meeeeee!!!

I just don't like liver steaks, but pate, duck liver, foie gras, etc I love!

Don't jinx it! :eek:

Wait a minute, in HC? not in the MDR?

No, in HC on formal night as we did not take any formalwear. It might have been better in MDR but I presume it all comes from the same kitchen. The wellington we had slices from had very thin pastry with hardly any duxelle coating and grey tough beef and it was completely unseasoned - horrible :(

No, in HC on formal night as we did not take any formalwear. It might have been better in MDR but I presume it all comes from the same kitchen. The wellington we had slices from had very thin pastry with hardly any duxelle coating and grey tough beef and it was completely unseasoned - horrible :(

:( Boo. Hopefully I'll have better luck on ours.

Hopefully I don't have a bad experience with it. With being my first time trying it, I have no idea what it is suppose to taste like. So, I don't want to be turned off permanently because it just wasn't good on the ship.

Archived