Pre and Post Suggestions

Majkman

I'm sure it's on here somewhere or in a different location, but I'm looking for some suggestions.

We are booked on our 1st X and our 1st trip to the Med. We are locked in on the Equinox on 6/21/14.

We are arriving into Istanbul a day early and hanging around in Civitavecchia an extra day and hoping some veterans might have some suggestions.

I rely on tripadvisor in my travels here in the US, but I'm a little scared about straying too far from port over seas.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. It is 'The Boss' aka 'The Better Half' aka 'The Missus' and myself.:o

Thank you all and keep the seas calm,

Andy

Istanbul is a wonderful city. I would recommend looking for a hotel in the Sultanhamet area. Close to the historic sights as well as being about a 10 minute (in Istanbul's crowded traffic) drive to the port. Lots of small charming hotels in this area. Hotel Amira, Erboy, and Osmanhan seem very popular among our Roll Call group. We depart on October 19.

I'm sure it's on here somewhere or in a different location, but I'm looking for some suggestions.

We are booked on our 1st X and our 1st trip to the Med. We are locked in on the Equinox on 6/21/14.

We are arriving into Istanbul a day early and hanging around in Civitavecchia an extra day and hoping some veterans might have some suggestions.

I rely on tripadvisor in my travels here in the US, but I'm a little scared about straying too far from port over seas.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. It is 'The Boss' aka 'The Better Half' aka 'The Missus' and myself.:o

Andy

For us it was to take the Hop on Hop off Bus in Istanbul. It is a Nice way to get a feel for the city. Go see the Blue Mosque and shopping in the Grand Bazaar. Stop at Starbuck for a coffee. Istanbul is a great city. Richard

majkman,

I use Trip Advisor both for domestic and internatioal vacations.

Also, here on Cruise Critic there are a ports of call forums listed on the first page. Go to the Europe ports of call, the italy and istanbul for gathering tons of recommendations for your pre and post cruise stay.

I have stayed in Civitvecchia for two nights before my Exquinox cruise. I had been to Rome three times and wanted to explore the hill towns near the port. We did a private tour arranged by the hotel we stayed at before hand. it was a great day.

We will be in Istanbul for three nights after our cruise beiginning Oct 31. we have arranged three days of private guided tours and one day to roam around on our own.

Have fun planning. You will have to priotize what is the one or two most important thngs you want ot see and experience in your land stay.

Enjoy your cruise.

Well, for starters, do NOT hang in Civitavecchia--go to ROME! Either share a private transfer with fellow roll callers (~ 25 euro pp) or take the train (5 euro pp). You will be in Rome by 11 AM and will have a ton to see. Book a room in the Centro Storico (historic center) and you will be 5-10 minutes walk from all the major sites.

Not a lot to see and do in Civitavecchia, and you just can't miss ROME!!

Well, for starters, do NOT hang in Civitavecchia--go to ROME! Either share a private transfer with fellow roll callers (~ 25 euro pp) or take the train (5 euro pp). You will be in Rome by 11 AM and will have a ton to see. Book a room in the Centro Storico (historic center) and you will be 5-10 minutes walk from all the major sites.

Not a lot to see and do in Civitavecchia, and you just can't miss ROME!!

Just adding my 2 cents....used TripAdvisor quite a bit on our visit to 4 countries in Europe and was very happy with the results!

If you have never been to Rome I would also highly recommend you spend your day post cruise there, rather than Civitavecchia. Last time we were there we stayed in a lovely small hotel about a 10 minute walk from the Castello sant'Angelo and the Vatican, which were the main attractions our friends wanted to see, having never been to Rome before. You could do a pre-booked guided tour to get you into the Vatican shortly after your arrival into the city, which would leave you time to see other sites, such as the Colosseum, Spanish Steps, and Trevi Fountain later in the day, then perhaps dinner in Piazza Navona. Rome is really a city not to be missed, even if your time there is short.

Andy

Hi

Great cruise you have planned. Civitavecchia-not really much to see/do. The fort is by Michaelangelo. Rome is about 90 mins away-suggest you go there. Instead of staying in Civitavecchia take the time/hotel etc in Rome. I'm assuming that your flight leaves from FCO-which is closer to Rome. You can book a transfer to Rome with sightseeing from several pvt car companies. Rome is great for food, wandering, museums etc.

Carole

Archived