Norwegian Cruise Line- changing clocks in Atlantic Canada?

hubbards

Anyone know if this cruise line has their passengers change their watches/clocks to the local time zone when visiting Halifax? I know that Carnival does NOT have their passengers adjust to local time zone. I am meeting a friend in Halifax coming off the Gem and need to know how to coordinate a meeting time. Thank you.

Anyone know if this cruise line has their passengers change their watches/clocks to the local time zone when visiting Halifax? I know that Carnival does NOT have their passengers adjust to local time zone. I am meeting a friend in Halifax coming off the Gem and need to know how to coordinate a meeting time. Thank you.

In general NCL changes time to local time(based on the port). but its simple for you to adjust anyway. Its one hour behind Eastern time. Its you who have to adjust any watch you are carrying. Although most cell phones will do so automatically anyway.

It's really your friend's responsibility to figure out the time based on what happens on the ship.

As Sid points out, his experience is that NCL changes time on the ship. My experience on RCL is that it is the captain's decision whether or not to make a time change and can vary cruise to cruise.

So you pick a time - let's say 11 am ATL time. You tell your friend that if the ship moves the time ahead 1 hour, she should meet you at 11 am. If the ship does not change time, she should meet you at 10 am.

In general NCL changes time to local time(based on the port). but its simple for you to adjust anyway. Its one hour behind Eastern time. Its you who have to adjust any watch you are carrying. Although most cell phones will do so automatically anyway.

For those that are time zone challenged

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

To clarify, I live in Halifax. My friend is on the ship, visiting Halifax. How will I know what time SHE is on when she arrives? Ship time or my Halifax time? it is one hour different.

use your time. Its really not that difficult as others point out if the ship doesn't change(it really does)...you will be early!

Thank you to all who replied. She and I are both seasoned travelers however I would like to say that what you sometimes take for granted is that not everyone has cell phones that are "international". She has a cell phone but it would be costly to call me in Canada (roaming charges). Even if I call her she will get dinged for roaming charges. I live one hour from the port. I need to know what time to leave my home to pick her up so that I am not sitting around for an hour at the pier because the ship time didn't change. She and I will figure it out. She will check with the ship while onboard and call me from Bar Harbor to confirm if they do or don't change their clocks. It's all about the details when it comes to how one cruise line does something vs. another. I sail on cruises VERY frequently. My cruise line always changes their clocks. It was not until I was burned with this same scenario in Halifax, meeting a relative on another cruise line that I learned that not all cruise lines change their clocks, thus the one hour wait in Halifax for them to disembark. I appreciate all your input but sometimes something simple is not so simple. FWIW, I called NCL's office to ask them and the girl gave me a very tremulous answer of yes, the ship changes their clocks. That didn't give me warm cozies that someone in their offices even knows the answer.

Again, thank you. Hopefully this will give some of you pause when making arrangements to meet friends in any other cruise port, aside from all the other timing issues that can occur with docking, delays, weather, etc...

Archived