Anyone had Aft S Suite #8128?? Need to decide to upgrade today HELP PLEASE!!!

Rachelleh

Hi, haven't cruised on HAL before - have been on celebrity, carnival, princess and rccl.

We are 36 & 46 if this makes any difference.

used to book oceanview, then tried a balcony, then tried a mini suite, should have stuck with the oceanview and never known the difference and would have been extremely happy in ov. But messed that up now can't live without a balcony, we find we use the balcony a lot especially when cruising w/out the kids like this time.

15th anniversary cruise, HAL Zuiderdam - booked VA 7131 - aft (love aft)

a little noise is not a problem for us, we are easy to please, we don't want lots of loud noise, but we understand we are on a ship and "noise will happen".

That said, here are my options I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE ADVICE!!! Never having been on HAL before it is a little like shooting in the dark so thanks in advance for the help.

#1 - LOVE the balcony the bigger the better, but also love some privacy, open is ok if that's what is avail aft.

#2 - LOVE the extra interior room, do not necessiarly need it but do love it.

Price is about $900.00 more total to upgrade to S class Suite on Navigation Deck cabin #8128 from VA - Rotterdam deck #7131.

Thinking of suprising my husband upon check in with the suite, now here are my main questions - anything I forgot to ask and you know please TELL.

Is it worth the extra $$$$ laundry service, king size bed (my husband is 6'3"), so he takes up a lot of space. Neptune lounge, high tea in room in afternoons, interior space, huge balcony - although #7131 looks good size.

Confliciting info on the boards are cabins or this cabin #8128 covered??? How is noise from Lido Pool??? Or activities that go on up there????

How is storage space vs VA we have hardsided luggage and sometimes this is an issue, sometimes can't store under the bed.

How large is the balcony in S aft suite?

One post noted that #8128 is the smallest S suite in interior size by like 100sq ft, could this be right & if so it can't be much larger that VA - Any help is appreciated I have the S suite held until tonight then I have to let it go.

P.S. any difference is size of bathtub and shower and/or shower "ammenities" such as shower heads or such?

Also storage/closet space???

Thanks for the help!!!!

If I were you, I would take it. Those corner aft suites are incredible, even if that particular suite is a bit smaller, it should be larger than your VA. We had suite 5187 on the Zuiderdam with 3 girls in it and the other 2 girls had 5185, a VA. There was quite a difference in the two cabins.

Amenities are great with the suite. You get priority boarding, disembarkation, priority tendering (when in use, like Half Moon Cay), coursages for formal night, menu's are left for you for the next day in the dining room, free laundry and pressing service, access to the Neptune Lounge, its great. The bathroom is alot larger with a bathtub and shower combination and then a separate shower stall, double sinks, a dressing area, need I say more!!!!!

I would take it, but let's see if others here who have stayed in that particular suite have another view.

Let us know what you decide.

I'm sure somebody will jump in and answer your main questions, all I can say is that my DH loves the full suite and won't book anything else. He loves the amenities. We spent a lot of time in the Neptune Lounge, getting coffee and snacks. They have wonderful little snack things that DH couldn't get enough of. It is VERY nice when you have a problem or question, you just go to the concierge of the Neptune Lounge and they take care of it. No waiting in line at the main desk. Several times the wonderful Concierge on the Ryndam, Anne, showed up at our door with something we had requested or an answer to a question.

We used the free laundry several times, and it was great.

One BIG problem, though, is that once you've gone full suite, you'll never want to go back!!!

Is there always a concierge available in the Neptune Lounge? We've just upgraded from SS to SA on the Noordam for next fall and I'm still trying to justify the additional cost. What exactly is the "no host" bar? I realize it is "pay as you use", but what is it stocked with...or do I get to choose?

Thanks so much for the info, I hope someone who has had this exact cabin can coment I hate to give up a great VA aft and find out the S was the same size in that location for all the extra $$$$, but I am seriously leaning that way - and yeah I am slightly concerned about the "need for a suite", we keep upgrading we always say well lets just go cheap and have a great time, but somehow I can't do it. We could sure go a lot more though, but for 15 year anniversary I think it will be worth it.

Any info on HAL and Zui would be really helpful to quelch my HAL concerns from the boards, but I have learned someone can always not like something.

Thanks again and keep the info coming, I'll let you know what I decided to do!!!1

Rachelle

Rachelle, I read all the bad reports on the Zuiderdam and was really leary about sailing her. All I can say is that take what you read with a grain of salt, get the suite and go have a good time. I have to tell you I loved the Zuiderdam and I am sure you will as well. Have fun and book that suite.

Go for the Suite! Your 15th is a special occasion, treat yourselves!

Mushroom: The Neptune Lounge had hours, something like 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. something like that. There was always a concierge on duty, unless he/she had to run somewhere on a task.

As for the "no host bar" I really can't comment too much. We had a fridge in our room with a couple of beers and some pop in it. DH drank one of the cokes in there and was charged $2.12 for the privilege. We had soda cards but forgot to get some pop before retiring for the evening. I heard you could ask your steward to have it stocked with whatever you wanted, but we just left it and added our own "soda card" pop to it.

Even a smaller S is a lot larger than a standard verandah cabin on the Vista ships.

The Vista standard verandah cabins are much smaller than the standard verandah cabins on the R and S class HAL ships.

It's a special anniversary - go for it!

OK, took all your advice, decided you were all more expert at this than me well thoughout comments so I decided to GO FOR IT, called in the alloted time (in fact still had until tonight, but called this afternoon) TA did not hold the suite as she said she would and now it is not available. AGGHHHHH, I am not giving up, I know sometimes the higher grade cabins dissapear for a day and then pop back up but with only the one available, I am not feeling to confident.

I am going to try not to be to bummed and pretend it was never avail., needless to say I won't use this TA agian. Keep your fingers crossed it pops back up for a day and I can grab it myself online.

Even worse I decided to talk it over w/ my husband instead of spending the extra $$$ for a suprise - he said absolutely go for it - AGGGGHHHHh

We are booked in VA 7131 , anyone have any experience with this aft cabin, go ahead tell it like it is.

Thanks again for ALL the help and I'll let you all know what happens.

Rachelle

We had this cabin on the Zuiderdam. The balcony is huge and totally private. The cabin is smaller than the side S suites by about 100 sq. ft. It is also pretty far away from the Neptune Lounge. If you are a person who likes to sit on the balcony, then this is definitely for you. If you spend more time in the cabin, then you might think this is too small. As far as the cabin no longer being available, it is possible someone has a hold on it and will release it after a couple of days. It is probably a good idea to keep checking.

Rachelleh:

Don't give up! Keep checking. On our Ryndam cruise we were booked in an outside cabin and I had told our TA to keep checking if a suite became available. We never got a call, but I continued to monitor HAL's website and one short week before the cruise a suite opened up! I called our TA and immediately booked it. Someone must have cancelled last minute.

Mary

OK everyone, I feel the good suite vibes from here, I will keep checking and fingers crossed. HAL site shows avail, but when I try to book, no cabins showing avail. I bet you are right and someone else has a hold on "my" suite, ha ha.

Thanks again to everyone for your time and info, I'll let you know how it shakes out.

Rachelle

Rachelleh:

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Mushroom:

DH just told me there WAS a big bar in our suite, I just never knew it! It was behind a mirror! He said he just shut it up and forgot about it, he knew it would probably cost too much to drink it!! We bought a bottle of rum and a bottle of bourbon right when we got on the ship - scratch that - actually on the gangway on the way INTO the ship, and that was plenty for us!

Mary

Archived