Need to cancel our July 16 cruise

cruisingfreak

My Mom's been seriously ill for over 2 weeks now. I kept hoping she would get better & that we would be able to go on our July 16 cruise. Now's she's come down with pneumonia & is back in ICU, so I must cancel.

We do have insurance with Global Alert & it was bought within the 15 day time limit. Do I need to call Princess & tell them of the cancellation? Is there anything else you can think of, that I need to do?

Thanks, as I've never had to do this before. Glad that I always buy insurance, within the time limit too.

Minette

Yes if you have a TA have them call Princess to cancel your cruise as someone else might be needing your cabin. Also get all your medical papers in order to submitt to your insurance provider for a full refund....sorry to hear of your bad news....

Minette,

I was hoping that your mom was getting better and you would be on our cruise.

I am sorry to hear that she is worse and that you will not be with us.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your mom. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Fran

newfimom

Minette, so sorry to hear that your mom is ill and I'll pray for speedy recovery. Ok, I just had to do this a month or so ago. My mom also became very ill and I had to cancel our cruise. Thank God for insurance. The first thing I did was contact my TA who cancelled the cruise for me. Princess refunded their portion to my credit card within 24 hours. The second thing I did was contact Princess insurance department since we had their insurance. With your insurance you should probably just contact the insurance company. They will either send you the paper work or direct you to a website where you can print out the form. You will need your cruise invoice and in the case of Princeess, my mom's doctor had to fill out part of the form. After I sent in my documentation, we both had our checks within a week or two.

Good luck and I hope you are both sailing soon.:D

So sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she improves and you're able to reschedule your cruise.

Contact your TA about cancelling the cruise and as has been suggested, get documentation for the necessity to cancel.

So sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she improves and you're able to reschedule your cruise.

Contact your TA about cancelling the cruise and as has been suggested, get documentation for the necessity to cancel.

I won't be able to cancel until Monday, as my TA is out of the office until then.

Minette

Minette,

I was hoping that your mom was getting better and you would be on our cruise.

I am sorry to hear that she is worse and that you will not be with us.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your mom. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Fran

newfimom

I wish we could go too Fran, but my Mom seems to come down with different ailments each day.

Thanks for your thoughts & prayers.

Minette

Wishing your Mom a speedy recovery.

I would first call the Insurance Company, listen to what they say (not neccessarily agree with what they say), and then call TA/ Princess. If the Insurance was purchased through TA, then just call TA and they will cancel the booking. In any case, after a few hours check your Cruise Personalizer to verify that the cruise has been in fact cancelled. The Cruise Personalizer will give a message that you cannot access a cruise that has been cancelled. /Sultan

We had to do this a few years ago - my mom had to have heart surgery (she was going on the cruise with us).

We had to first have the doctor tell us he advised canceling (this may be different for you since my mom was traveling with us). If this wasn't done first - then we couldn't collect on insurance. Then our TA had to call Princess and cancel and then WE had to call the insurance company (Access America).

Our TA sent us the information from Princess as far as what they were refunding and we had to submit that along with insurance claim form, doctor's note, medical records, proof of payment of the cruise (credit card statement) to Access America. They then paid the remaining amount (what Princess didn't refund) within 10 days of receiving the claim. As long as you follow the instructions of the insurance - it is pretty painless.

I just want to wish you the best with your mom. Spending time by her side is the most important thing right now and you can always book again. Odd as it sounds, 'enjoy' these times by her side nurturing her as she did you.... One of the greatest gifts I was ever given was the opportunity to be with my mom during her battle with Cancer 2 years ago. I wouldn't trade that time for a cruise anywhere...

I am sorry to hear about your mom and am still in hopes of a quick recovery. I am also sorry to hear that your wont be on the cruise with us as it sounds like you really need it now. I will keep your mom in my prayes and hope all goes well with her and your family.

Misty

Cancel the booking immediately even if you have to call the cruise line yourself. The reason is that the insurance will only reimburse you for the penalties in effect at the time the doctor recommends against travel. If you wait to cancel and the cancellation penalties increase during that time you'll be out of luck on getting repaid for the extra penalties.

Archived