Rome Private Tour~Max vs Claudio

vssy

I have read the names of Max Leotta and Claudio Caponera as guides for Rome. Please give me some feedback. They both seem to offer the same tour, but Claudio is much cheaper. 450 Euros to 360 Euros. Anyone with experience with these two tour guides?

Thanks,

Valerie

vssy@htcomp.net

Max was great, expensive but great! Here's my trip report..http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=109097554&m=1733095637

Dawn Princess 11/97

Regal Princess

Grand Princess 7/99

Renaissance R4 7/13/00

Rotterdam 7/20/01

Radiance of the Sea 12/22/01

Royal Princess 8/10/02

Brilliance of the Sea 7/23/03

Golden Princess 12/27/03

We used Max's brother Fabio and he was great. Well worth what we paid and we were with him for about 12 hours.

Jewel of the Seas 7/05

Brilliance 1/05

Constellation 9/04

Radiance 1/04

Constellation 9/03

Golden Princess 1/03

Radiance 4/02

Explorer of the Seas 12/01

Voyager of the Seas 2/01

Monarch of the Seas 8/00

Splendour of the Seas 12/99

NCL Sea 8/96

A bunch others

Hi

We're booked with Claudio for later this month. I can tell you that so far Claudio has been most accommodating in the tour planning process. Can you wait until the end of the month for a review?

Bev

Great, I will be waiting for your review!

Thanks

Valerie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bev:

Hi

We're booked with Claudio for later this month. I can tell you that so far Claudio has been most accommodating in the tour planning process. Can you wait until the end of the month for a review?

Bev<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Claudio wasn't available for our cruise beginning 5/28 but we are booked with his partners in Rome and Florence.

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We are booked with Max for May 21. Will post a review when we return in June.

Linda

Constellation Transatlantic 9/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 till back-to-back on Galaxy

Monarch of the Seas 1/2004, Infinity 10/2003, Constellation Transatlantic 4/2003, Sun Princess 8/2002, Millenium 3/2002, Summit 11/2001, Galaxy 6/2001, Sea Princess 11/2000, Splendor of the Seas 5/2000, Ryndam 1/2000, Zenith 12/1997, Crown Odyssey 8/1996, NCL Dreamward 8/1994, Sun Princess 1/1988, Costa Riviera 1986, Carnival Mardi Gras 1984, Sunward II 1979

By email.

Claudio Caponera

claudio@limoinrome

www.limoinrome.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bruingary:

How do you contact Claudio?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message was edited by vssy on 05-06-04 at 10:53 PM.]

We are on the 5/29 Splendour of the Seas and have booked Claudio for Florence/Pisa and Rome. I initially sent an email to almost every tour guide I have seen mentioned in these posts with what we would like to see in each port and asked for their suggestions and a quote. All the guides were pretty good with a quick response but their prices covered a wide range. Some guides were more rigid than others in what they would include on the tour. Claudio was very responsive to my numereous emails and his price and itinerary were exactly what we were looking for and has had good feedback on this board. I will post a review upon our return

I will be looking forward to your review. We are also considering Claudio for Florence/Pisa!

Did you talk to Daniele about Florence/Pisa? I have not contacted him yet, but am curious how he or others icon_wink.gif compared.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nikki B:

We are on the 5/29 Splendour of the Seas and have booked Claudio for Florence/Pisa and Rome.

I will post a review upon our return<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We initially asked for a price for a family of three (2 adults & 16 year old son) from all the tour guides when we sent out the emails requesting quotes. I realize that the tour prices can be made less expensive by sharing tours (we elected to do that with Dream Tours / Alain in Villefanche), but we wanted to know how much to budget on the high side so we could better plan and compare options. Both Max and Danielle quoted 500 Euro for their Florence/Pisa trip for 3 (Claudio 380 Euro). Both Max and Danielle quoted 450 Euro for their Rome trip for 3 (Claudio 340 Euro). The prices from Claudio included a reduced price for doing more than one tour. Claudio has been very responsive to my NUMEROUS emails and questions and his suggested itinerary for both trips was just what we wanted. He also made reservations for us for the Academia Museum in Florence which will save extra time. We leave in a little over two weeks and will post a review when we return

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> He also made reservations for us for the Academia Museum in Florence which will save extra time. We leave in a little over two weeks and will post a review when we return<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't wait for your review! Do you know how much extra it is to visit the Academia?

SPLENDOUR OF THE SEAS~OCTOBER 9, 2004~http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&s=927093444&a=tpc&m=766106561&f=1683059817

Valerie

I also made advance reservations for the Accademia and the Uffizi Gallery. The Accademia is 6,5 Euros and Uffizi 9,5.

1952 - Excalibur (freighter)

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

• 1 month later...

I have been very pleased with the responses from both gentlemen. I hope Claudio is available, because I found out Max wasn't for the two days we are in Rome. I am returning July 14 and will post a review, whoever we happen to book with.

God Bless.

Shawna

We booked with Daniele/Remo from www.driverinrome.com ; they have been very responsive to our e-mails and very accommodating with regards to customized iteniraries...Based on the testimonials/diary on their web sites, we can't wait to have our tours of Tuscany and Amalfi with them in the next 2 weeks...We'll be happy to post a review when we get back...

Have used the services of both and they are both excellent.. but have to say that Claudio 's prices were at least 100 EU less for the same tour ( in Mercedes Van too) and that was 2 weeks ago.. so with the way the exchange is: any savings is the way to go...

Next stop:

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

We were on the 5/29 Splendour cruise and since we stayed an extra week in Spain after the cruise, I have not had time to write up a full review yet. I can state that Claudio was everything we had hoped for and more for our day in Rome as about 100 EU less than all other quotes we received. His knowledge of Rome, history, architecture and art was outstanding and while he might only have the title of driver (instead of "guide") I cannot imagine anyone with more passion in sharing information about his city. The day that we were there was a public holiday and a major parade ws being held in the heart of the city. No problem - Claudio just improvised and we still managed to see everything we planned on. There was about a two hour wait in the morning to get into the Vatican Museum (block after block of lines), so we returned in the early afternoon and walked right in with ZERO wait. We spent a ltlle over two hours there including St Peters and it was all unbelievable. We also got went to the Coloseum, Roman Forum, Pantine Hill, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Santa Maria Sora Minerva, Piazza Navona and Piazza Farnese. We were not interested at all in "shopping" on this first visit to Rome, but Claudio asked us that right up front so time could be allowed for it. Instead he used that time to take us to several other smaller churches that he thought had features that really showed differences in art and style that we would enjoy. He treated us to what we called the best cappocino in Rome and stolled with us through narrow streets of Baroque and Renaissance Rome showering us with his knowledge of the history. His van was filled with books that he used for self study to improve his knowlege of the history of his city. He asked what we wanted to do for lunch (quick bite or full dining experience) and we decided not we wanted to do more than a slice of pizza but less than the two hours we spent for lunch in Florence. While we wandered around one plaza, he surveyed several restaurants to check on the wating time for a table and food prepration for us. Based on his feedback, we selected a place where we could set down at a table in the plaza and enjoy a bite with a beer and watch the people and street entertainment. It was a great meal, only took about 20 minutes and let us get right back into our tour. Claudio was with us the entire day with the exception of the Vatican Museum and St Peter's. I would not hesitate to use him again and the savings of 100 EU only added to the value of the day he gave us.

Hi

I worked with Claudio Caponera (Limo in Rome) to arrange our tours in Rome and the transfer from the ship to Rome. He has a minivan that accommodates 8.

Our CC group soon outgrew that and Claudio worked with us to find larger vehicles and guides for our group. The benefit of having the larger group is that it justifies having a licensed guide for your tour. Claudio made excellent choices: for our visit to the Vatican, we had Daniele, who has a degree in art history. Claudia, who has a degree in archeology and who has worked on digs in Rome, toured with us for our full day tour of Rome.

A smaller group of 6 went to Pompeii with Claudio. He picked us up right on time at our hotel and provided commentary on what we were seeing as we left Rome and interesting sites during the drive. But Claudio is not a licensed guide and was not able to accompany us into the ruins. We debated for a while whether to tour on our own but chose to join a group tour led by an archeology professor.

By all means, make the tour arrangements with Claudio - he is honest, hardworking on your behalf, very pleasant to meet and deal with both by email and in person, and his prices were the most reasonable to be found. As others have pointed out, the savings are considerable, no matter what size your group is. But, certainly for Rome, ask him to also arrange a licensed guide for you - it will add so much to your tour.

Bev

We used Max in May. He is good however he kept getting calls on his cell phone which I felt was a little rude. I would probably use Claudio especially since the price is better.

We worked through Max last September and, unfortunately, had an unpleasant experience. Max was not available, so her arranged for one of his associates to give the four of us a tour.

The tour itself was good, but there was obviously some kickback action at the restaurant we were taken for lunch. The food and atmosphere were tourist class at best and the bill for four lunches came to over $200.00!!

There was a power failure that day in all of Italy and no bank machines were working. This put us into a bit of a crisis, since the expensive lunch left us short of enough cash to pay for the tour. We asked the drive if we could pay by credit card. He immediately called Max and explained the situation and then gave me the phone.

Max was extremely nice. He said that the only thing to worry about was enjoying the tour and that we would worry about payment at the end of the day. Unfortunately, the driver did not see things the same way. Fearing credit card payment would mean no tip, the driver spent the next hour going from bank to bank so we could try to withdraw money to pay him.

We never did find a working teller, but by a huge stroke of luck, ran into some friends from the ship who lent us the cash until we got back to the ship.

Again let me stress that the tour was good and Max was extremely nice.

Rich G.

We just returned from Millie. We used Claudio and I would highly recommend him. He gave us great commentary and took us places that would be of interest to my 16yo daughters. I had made reservations for the excavations at St. Peters and he worked around that event. In Florence he got us reserved tickets at the Accademia so we could see David (there was an extra 3E/ticket for the reservation charged by the museum, but worth not having to wait an hour in line). I would definitely use Claudio again.

Archived