Formal Nights on Ventura

jankelly

Hi All

We are first time cruisers and wondering what people where on the formal nights we don't want to look over or under dressed any help and advice would be fantastic.

Many thanks in advance

Jan & John

Hi,no doubt you will get a few replies. I wear my plain black suit and nice shirt and tie while my wife normally wears a long dress on formal nights.

You are living dangerously asking this question. It is the most discussed question on every board and often leads to quite heated posts.

As Brian suggests read the P and O advice and you will be fine.

Many people take the dress code as a challenge to be overcome and insist that as they are on holiday they can dress as they please.

We always dress in accordance with the dress code because we enjoy it and also out of respect for our fellow cruisers and table guests.

If John doesn't have a dress suit then a normal suit is always acceptable, and a plain suit can be always be jazzed up with waistcoat and bow ties.

Do not worry about been judged tho it's a fallacy that people spend their time examining other peoples dress code. The only time other guests may notice is when shorts, tee shirts and sandals are worn in the MDR in the evening.

Just relax and have a great time.

Hi Jan and John, just back from Ventura, the dress code is very mixed. Whatever you decide will be fine. They were strict on the formal wear in the MAin Dining Room but lots of pax were in the Havana bar and theatre in very casual wear. Some were very dressed up and others not.

Sue

Hi Jan and John, just back from Ventura, the dress code is very mixed. Whatever you decide will be fine. They were strict on the formal wear in the MAin Dining Room but lots of pax were in the Havana bar and theatre in very casual wear. Some were very dressed up and others not.

Sue

On Black Tie (formal as was) nights the dress code is enforced in the main restaurants, the White Room, East, Metropolis and the Red Bar. Evening Casual is acceptable everywhere else, this is made clear in the in cabin information.

Dress code on Ventura is best of both worlds 4 formal the rest smart cas. what more could you want I fail to understand why anyone would go on a P & O cruise and object to 4 formal nights it's what make it so special.

On Black Tie (formal as was) nights the dress code is enforced in the main restaurants, the White Room, East, Metropolis and the Red Bar. Evening Casual is acceptable everywhere else, this is made clear in the in cabin information.

Not any more it doesn't!

The new magazine in cabin guide just states that some venues will require you to wear the code for the evening and to look for the notice outside the venue. No mention of which venues those are :confused:

Even more confusion

Hi All

We are first time cruisers and wondering what people where on the formal nights we don't want to look over or under dressed any help and advice would be fantastic.

Many thanks in advance

Jan & John

I bought a dinner suit for our first cruise in 2005, never having worn anything more formal than a business suit before that. Somewhat to my surprise I found that I enjoyed wearing it; I've found it to be a very forgiving outfit (adjustable waist on the trousers, relaxed fit in the jacket). I now positively look forward to formal nights on our cruises so I can wear it.

My wife wears a mixture of some long gowns, shorter cocktail dresses, and 'dressy pants' with smart tops. We've never felt over- dressed. We've cruised on Ventura four times, and enjoyed every one of them. (Have a look at my blog for reviews of those cruises.)

Dress code on Ventura is best of both worlds 4 formal the rest smart cas. what more could you want I fail to understand why anyone would go on a P & O cruise and object to 4 formal nights it's what make it so special.

nobody has suggested that so far on this thread. I have been to lots of formal nights and don't feel it is special at all!

I find deliberate attempts to flout the dress code are rare and a ship the size of Ventura is capable of satisfying those who wish to dress for dinner and those who prefer evening casual dress that evening. Nobody has ever made an adverse comment to me on the cruises where I don't take my dinner jacket or suit.

Ventura is the most relaxed P&O ship except perhaps in summer where Oceana has the same dress code and only one bar enforces black tie.

Not any more it doesn't!

The new magazine in cabin guide just states that some venues will require you to wear the code for the evening and to look for the notice outside the venue. No mention of which venues those are :confused:

Even more confusion

Typical P&O. Having gone from a state of confusion to one of exemplary clarity, confusion once again reigns. One thought however. Is the new magazine ship specific or is the content just generic, the same for all ships? The latter would probably save pennies on printing costs but would preclude ship specific content, hence the new wording.

Typical P&O. Having gone from a state of confusion to one of exemplary clarity, confusion once again reigns. One thought however. Is the new magazine ship specific or is the content just generic, the same for all ships? The latter would probably save pennies on printing costs but would preclude ship specific content, hence the new wording.

And in which case, take it home rather than pass on germs (!) to the next encumbents of your cabin!

Archived