Ardastra, Queen's Staircase, Straw Market

celticd1

I am travelling with a group of 10 ladies ranging in age from 40s to 70s. We want to visit Ardastra Zoo, the Queen's Staircase and the straw market. To keep things simple the plan is to grab a taxi at the port and head first to the zoo. We are in port from 7AM - 5PM. We want to see the Flamingo parade at 10:30AM and then feed the Lories at 11:00AM. We'll probably leave the zoo around noon. From there we'd like to see the Queen's Staircase and then head to the straw market for some shopping before heading back to the ship. Will we be able to get a taxi easily at the zoo and then again at the staircase? Does the timeframe seem doable?

Thanks for any tips! :)

We did go to the zoo by jitney--open bus--with the locals. They let you off on the main road from town center and it is a walk up to the zoo.

I would think it would be easy to get a taxi from the zoo if you take one there. I am sure it is a common thing to do. People at the zoo are nice and attentive. When we were there, the flamingoes were walking around by themselves and they sure are odd looking. You sit in a bench area watching them taking orders from their trainer. We didn't do the bird show but there are loads of colorful birds around on perches. The zoo is small. We had to leave to go down to the conch restaurants for lunch.

I am travelling with a group of 10 ladies ranging in age from 40s to 70s. We want to visit Ardastra Zoo, the Queen's Staircase and the straw market. To keep things simple the plan is to grab a taxi at the port and head first to the zoo. We are in port from 7AM - 5PM. We want to see the Flamingo parade at 10:30AM and then feed the Lories at 11:00AM. We'll probably leave the zoo around noon. From there we'd like to see the Queen's Staircase and then head to the straw market for some shopping before heading back to the ship. Will we be able to get a taxi easily at the zoo and then again at the staircase? Does the timeframe seem doable?

Thanks for any tips! :)

You'll have plenty of time! Taxi's are not an issue anywhere that the tourists may be :) I've gotten burnt out with the straw market though, been many times. It's the same stuff at each pushy vendor(t-shirts, beach bags, bamboo wind chimes). But if you have never been it is worth the trip. I enjoy the stores a few blocks from the port (Bay Street), and they all negotiate too, except for the perfume shop. I bought a pair of alexandrite earrings starting price $350, negotiated to $145. Beware of the vendors at the staircase/fort though, they are real sharks and even more pushy than at the straw market!

Don't forget to eat! :) You might want to walk to the Fish Fry for lunch after Ardastra Gardens (short walk downhill) and then cab it to the Queen's Staircase from there. Good Bahamian food.

Good idea! We ate at the Anchorage last time we were there...yummy! :)

Archived