Lenses for Western Caribbean

Sparkygirl

I just found this forum, I'm a relatively new hobby photographer. I have a Nikkon D40 with kit lenses and a 50mm that I use for portrait photography. On our Western Carribean we will be doing several ruins and I would like to rent a wide angle lens but have no idea what I should look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Nikon, Tamron, or Sigma 10-24mm are all good.

You might also take a look at a zoom for more flexibility, 16-85 nikkor is worth a look but pricey new, but can be had used for reasonable value.

Here are a couple of articles that may help you:

1. What you probably don’t know about wide-angle lenses

2. How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses

In addition, here is a tool from the Tamron website that may help you choose a wide angle lens.

Tamron Focal Length Comparison Tool

There is a grey window area toward the bottom of the page titled - Focal Length Comparison Tool which explains how to use the Tamron Focal Length Comparison Tool

You can close the grey window and see a photo with a slider at the bottom which allows you to select various focal lengths.

If you need to see the information in the grey window again, select the blue help button.

In addition, here is a tool from the Tamron website that may help you choose a wide angle lens.

There is a grey window area toward the bottom of the page titled - Focal Length Comparison Tool which explains how to use the Tamron Focal Length Comparison Tool

You can close the grey window and see a photo with a slider at the bottom which allows you to select various focal lengths.

If you need to see the information in the grey window again, select the blue help button.

Thank you very much for the information! Off to read, study and research!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My wife has a Nikon D5100. Her camera came with a lens kit, but she prefers using a Tamron 18-270 lens. She uses it as her all purpose lens and is happy with the results.

We have visited a few Mayan ruins as you can see in my sig. She took tons of pictures at each one and made slide shows for her website.

Happy cruising!

I have a Nikon D300s, and usually travel with two lens -- a Nikkor 12-24 for wide-angle, interior shots, and a Sigma 18-250 zoom for general usage. I also have a Nikkor 16-85 which is an excellent lens that if I absolutely had to limit myself to a single lens, that would be the one I would take.

I love reading Ken Rockwell and his wide angle article is very good. Basically he says that if you want to really use a wide angle lens, you have to get really close to the subject. I got some weird looks when I was taking this pic at Peggy's Cove last week. I was pretty much touching the boat with the front of my Tokina 12-24 f4 lens to be able to get the shot I wanted.

10412480083_e7406f8490_c.jpg

Boat at Peggy's Cove by ikirumata, on Flickr

Wide angle lenses can be a lot of fun to use creatively. There are a few great ones available out there. My husband and I use a Nikkor 10-24 and we absolutely love it! It's easily become my husband's favourite lens and it is the one he uses the most. But, the Tokina 11-16 also gets great reviews from users.

• 2 weeks later...
I just returned from a cruise a week ago, and I used a Sigma 8-16mm on my D7100 exclusively. It was a great challenge to do so.

Holy mackerel. I almost picked up that lens, but splurged on the Canon 8-15mm. I don't think I could shoot an entire vacation with just that lens.

I've used and will stand behind the Sigma 10-20mm and the Tokina 12-24mm. Both are very good, with the Tokina being the better of the two, from my experience. My dad bought a Tamron 18-270mm just before their Alaska cruise and loved it. I haven't seen his results yet, but that's nothing to do with the lens.

Holy mackerel. I almost picked up that lens, but splurged on the Canon 8-15mm. I don't think I could shoot an entire vacation with just that lens.

I've used and will stand behind the Sigma 10-20mm and the Tokina 12-24mm. Both are very good, with the Tokina being the better of the two, from my experience. My dad bought a Tamron 18-270mm just before their Alaska cruise and loved it. I haven't seen his results yet, but that's nothing to do with the lens.

I also have the Tamron 18-270 and it is a good lens and fairly compact but found the 3.5-6.3 to be restrictive. I would love that lens in say a 2.8 but then again it would be huge and weigh a ton. So it is a good compromise for $ and function.

I also have the Tamron 18-270 and it is a good lens and fairly compact but found the 3.5-6.3 to be restrictive. I would love that lens in say a 2.8 but then again it would be huge and weigh a ton. So it is a good compromise for $ and function.

I sold my DLSR and lens, bought the Panasonic FZ200, 24-600mm 2.8. Less than $500, cheaper than a DLSR lens. Does a great job and less to carry. Also bought the Sony HX-300 super zoom 24-1200mm, use for nature photography. At my age less is better to carry.lol

Tom :cool:

Archived