NCL policy change

Umbarger

I have no idea when this happened but NCL is trying to keep handicapped cabins for people actually confined to wheelchair. Does this mean that if you have a scooter you may be bumped. I don't know what people with scooters are going to do?

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to cruise with NCL. We hope you are as excited about cruising with us, as we are to have you on board.

This letter is to clarify some of NCL’s policies regarding your Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom. Please read the following and make sure you meet all requirements.

Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom Policies:

• If you require full time use of a wheelchair, you must provide your own and it must be the small collapsible type of wheelchair.

• Wheelchairs must be able to navigate through the stateroom door which is approximately 35” (inches) wide.

• Wheelchairs must also be able to navigate through bathroom doors that are 20” to 22” (inches) wide.

• Motorized wheelchairs and scooters are welcome, however gel-cell batteries must power them. Due to safety regulations, NCL cannot accept any wet cell or acid-battery powered wheelchairs.

If you have booked a Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom and do not require a wheelchair, we may ask you to relocate to another stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a wheelchair.

If you have any questions or comments about these policies for Wheelchair Accessible Staterooms, please feel free to contact the Accessibility Team at 800.327.7030.

Again, we’re looking forward to having you on board and experiencing our exclusive Freestyle Cruising®, where you’re free to… whatever.

Sincerely,

NCL Access Department

Edited by Umbarger

I have no idea when this happened but NCL is trying to keep handicapped cabins for people actually confined to wheelchair. Does this mean that if you have a scooter you may be bumped. I don't know what people with scooters are going to do?

• Motorized wheelchairs and scooters are welcome, however gel-cell batteries must power them. Due to safety regulations, NCL cannot accept any wet cell or acid-battery powered wheelchairs.

They specifically say scooters are welcome! It would seem that in the pursuit of brevity they opted to equate wheelchairs and scooters in the remainder of the notice.

My scooter and I have 3 NCL cruises booked, :D I'm sure we'll be welcomed.

Marlee

Wheelchairs must also be able to navigate through bathroom doors that are 20” to 22” (inches) wide.

Are they serious about the bathroom doors in their HC cabins only being 20" wide? The bathroom doors in HC cabins on other cruiselines (RC, X, & Princess) are at least 32" wide. Are there any adult wheelchairs narrow enough to fit through a 20" wide doorway? The aisle chairs that they use for airplanes are that narrow, but they aren't collapsible. Are transport chairs that narrow? My mom uses a manual wheelchair (not a transport chair) for travel that is about 28" wide, which I think is fairly common. She wouldn't be able to get into the bathroom while in her wheelchair.

My mom has never sailed with NCL but if their doorways are really that narrow, it sounds like she never will. The ability to use the bathroom without assistance is important to her.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to cruise with NCL. We hope you are as excited about cruising with us, as we are to have you on board.

This letter is to clarify some of NCL’s policies regarding your Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom. Please read the following and make sure you meet all requirements.

Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom Policies:

• If you require full time use of a wheelchair, you must provide your own and it must be the small collapsible type of wheelchair.

• Wheelchairs must be able to navigate through the stateroom door which is approximately 35” (inches) wide.

• Wheelchairs must also be able to navigate through bathroom doors that are 20” to 22” (inches) wide.

If you have booked a Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom and do not require a wheelchair, we may ask you to relocate to another stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a wheelchair.

If you have any questions or comments about these policies for Wheelchair Accessible Staterooms, please feel free to contact the Accessibility Team at 800.327.7030.

Again, we’re looking forward to having you on board and experiencing our exclusive Freestyle Cruising®, where you’re free to… whatever.

Sincerely,

NCL Access Department

If the ship is embarking from a USA Port than the following applies. NCL can only attempt to enforce a policy such as the one the OP posted

if the ship embarks from a Foreign Port. It should also be noted the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines help to make this law come about in the first place.

As of January 1, 2012 a new Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective that requires that the

the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Are there any adult wheelchairs narrow enough to fit through a 20" wide doorway? The aisle chairs that they use for airplanes are that narrow, but they aren't collapsible. Are transport chairs that narrow?

No. Transport chairs are 23-24" wide. The one we normally travel with can sometimes fit through a normal cabin door with little room to spare and other times the cabin door is about 0.5" too small so the back wheels get stuck.

How many use scooters but can actually walk a few steps? I'm going to say most. There are people in wheelchairs who can't walk at all. They need a lift to get from the chair to the bed or toilet. Those are the people who should be given priority for accessible rooms. Period.

sdschwrt - thanks for the information on transport chairs. It seems like that wouldn't work either.

So, how does someone confined to a wheelchair (unable to walk) get into the bathroom on an NCL ship? A 20"-22" wide doorway seems ridiculously small for what is supposed to be an accessible cabin. It sounds to me like NCL is trying to discourage wheelchair users from booking with them, period.

sdschwrt - thanks for the information on transport chairs. It seems like that wouldn't work either.

So, how does someone confined to a wheelchair (unable to walk) get into the bathroom on an NCL ship? A 20"-22" wide doorway seems ridiculously small for what is supposed to be an accessible cabin. It sounds to me like NCL is trying to discourage wheelchair users from booking with them, period.

Or perhaps they are trying to avoid vacation disasters by being very upfront about the physical capabilities of their ships and how they aren't going to work for a lot of disabled guests? I's quite possible that due to various engineering possibilities, at this time they are unable to reconfigure doorways to make cabins more accessible. Better to be informed than unpleasantly surprised.

How many use scooters but can actually walk a few steps? I'm going to say most. There are people in wheelchairs who can't walk at all. They need a lift to get from the chair to the bed or toilet. Those are the people who should be given priority for accessible rooms. Period.

So those folks that require scooters for longer distances, but are not allowed to leave them out in the hall of a cruise ship, are not allowed to take a cruise?

So those folks that require scooters for longer distances, but are not allowed to leave them out in the hall of a cruise ship, are not allowed to take a cruise?

They will either have to bring their scooter into their regular cabin or ask the steward if there is an area close by that they can park it.

It is unfair that some people think because they have a scooter for long distances that they have priority in booking an HC cabin over someone who is legitimately wheelchair bound and needs the HC cabin features.

Perhaps not on that ship. Life isn't always fair. Choose a different ship, there are plenty of choices out there.

Edited by ducklite

I am disabled. I use a rollator and a scooter. I can take about 5-7 steps without sitting down. I cannot maneuver steps at all, not even one step into a standard bathroom. About the only thing I like about Carnival is that they have two different accessible rooms. NCL only has one. I prefer NCL and will continue to cruise with them as long as I can use an accessible room.

Wait a minute there... that is absolutely not true. Just because I can walk a few steps does not mean that I can stand up from a bathroom toilet without handrails. It also does not mean that I can take a shower in antyhing that does not have rails for me to keep my balance or a seat in it. Walking a few steps has nothing to do with the fact that I cannot stand without the assistance of my arms pushing me up. I do in fact need a handicap accessable room for more reasons than just space.

Wait a minute there... that is absolutely not true. Just because I can walk a few steps does not mean that I can stand up from a bathroom toilet without handrails. It also does not mean that I can take a shower in antyhing that does not have rails for me to keep my balance or a seat in it. Walking a few steps has nothing to do with the fact that I cannot stand without the assistance of my arms pushing me up. I do in fact need a handicap accessable room for more reasons than just space.

You can request items such as a seat riser for the toilet and a seat in the shower area. Contact the Special Needs Department of your cruiseline. These items were free for my Dad last year from Carnival. There is no need to reserve a HC cabin for just these needs.

You can request items such as a seat riser for the toilet and a seat in the shower area. Contact the Special Needs Department of your cruiseline. These items were free for my Dad last year from Carnival. There is no need to reserve a HC cabin for just these needs.

They can put handrails up too? I also stated I need the handrails. I cannot stand up on my own without assistance from handrails to pull or push myself up with my arms. My right leg is almost dead and doesn't respond to that rubber hammer to the knee test you always take for granted in the doctors office.

Edited by sherilyn70

They can put handrails up too? I also stated I need the handrails. I cannot stand up on my own without assistance from handrails to pull or push myself up with my arms. My right leg is almost dead and doesn't respond to that rubber hammer to the knee test you always take for granted in the doctors office.

It comes with handrails. It looks something like this:

849_large.jpg

Every cruise shower I've been in has had some sort of grab bar. Same with hotels.

I still stand by my position that someone who requires a lift and is truly wheelchair bound--ie can not stand let alone walk--should always have first priority to accessible staterooms.

Wait a minute! Not everyone who needs a handicap accessible cabin uses a wheelchair or scooter!

My son has an above-knee amputation of his right leg. While he is quite mobile when wearing his prosthesis, he does need the bathroom modifications that an accessible cabin provides.

While he could use his crutches to get up the step into the bathroom, he can't hop over the lip into an ordinary shower cubicle. Think about how you would do it. That would be an accident waiting to happen! He needs a rail and a seat in the shower - imagine balancing on one leg while the ship is rocking, and then trying to wash yourself and your hair. See what I mean?

He could use a modified cabin (and request a shower stool), were it not for needing the roll-in shower set up.

While he looks quite "normal" when wearing his prosthetic leg, he faces many difficulties that someone with two legs does not. And there are many days when his prosthetic has rubbed his sump and he needs to go without the prosthetic until the soreness has gone - so he then gets around on two crutches.

I applaud NCL for trying to prevent the misappropriation of accessible cabins, but I don't think they've thought their policy through sufficiently.

I get the impression that NCL does not want non-ambulatory people onboard. Seriously, does anyone, other than children, have a folding wheelchair that will fit through a 20" wide bathroom doorway with a person in it? If so, please share! It seems like the only way an adult can get into the bathroom is to walk in.

My mom cannot walk at all. Her manual wheelchair is almost 28" wide and her electric is a little wider. Neither of her wheelchairs will fit through the bathroom door if it is truly 20-22" wide as described by NCL. The bars, raised seat, and shower bench are worthless if she can't get into the bathroom to use them. I'm not strong enough to carry her into the bathroom. Even if I could, she wouldn't want to be subjected to that indignity. My mom likes to be as independent as possible, which includes being able to use the bathroom and clean herself.

I have been in many non-accessible ship cabins and hotel rooms that do not have grab bars. I've also had a few bars that were useless because of their mounting location. I am able-bodied but have wished for grab bars occasionally in the showers, particularly when the ship is rocking. I completely understand why people with who can walk at least short distances but have balance problems would prefer an accessible cabin. It seems like that is exactly the type person that NCL designed their accessible cabins for.

I do have balance problems and mobility issues. I will be using my scooter on a cruise for the first time in 2014. We have a regular balcony as my scooter can be broken down into a couple of pieces and, if need be, my DH can bring it into the cabin piece by piece. I think though if I take the arms off, I can fit it through the door. CCL asked if I needed an accessible cabin, and I declined. For the time being I can get around in the cabin with my cane. I am still able to lift my feet over the door lip. I think I'll be okay in the shower as long as water isn't rough. I always watch out for "white caps" on the water. When I notice that, I rush to get my shower before any rocking starts. So far, at least when I was more mobile, that helped. I don't want to take an accessible cabin yet, because there are probably other folks who might need one a bit more than I would. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to use a regular cabin, but fingers crossed!!

This morning I took a shower for the first time in a long time... my leg went numb so not sure I'll be doing it again anytime soon though. :) I've been relegated to baths only since I can't stand or even sit very well in the shower lately. Since I didn't have any hair it wasn't an issue. But now that it's starting to grow back in again I need to start thinking about ways to wash it on my own. I think if other cruiselines have the same mobility additions that can be added to a bathroom that carnival did then I could use a regular room. My biggest concerns are the toilet and the shower in a room. At least I still have my leg at this point and time, but it is a possibility I'll lose it completely to the cancer.

I am always saddened by the snippiness over handicapped cabins. Fully disabled vs lesser or invisible disabilities now that the braggart healthy people who happily booked handicapped rooms are being turned away? Bad enough the fake service chihuahuas all over, vs real service dogs. But the fact someone else has a worse condition is not relevant to room assignment. Both groups cannot travel on a cruise without adaptive equipment.

Those of us with documented medical conditions who use scooters may not need all the adaptions of hc room, but still need the room. I need modified bathroom but can walk into it if husband is there for help. I need the wide doorway and space to put small folding scooter.

I could not cruise-or get around anywhere-without a scooter.

I once booked a standard interior cabin on crown princess..what a mistake. No place to sit except on bed, no room for my folding scooter. We eventually were (illegally) allowed to park way down the aisle in an alcove and my husband drove it there, walked back. At least ten cabins had handicapped scooter users who had been led to believe they could drive into the room or fit the scooter in and it did not work. It is illegal to park a scooter in a hallway. There are not places near cabins to put them, so be sure of that before getting regular room or assuming you can fit a folded or taken apart scooter!

• 4 weeks later...

having to deal with this.....my partner is paraplegic and requires his chair full time, but we consider anyone with any mobility issue equally deserving of the accessible cabins. I hope the line changes it's policy

We were treated very well by Holland America

Will not cruise Princess again...but look forward to trying Royal C.

soon

Reading the original posting and copied letter, I believe that the individual at NCL made a few mistakes. If you refer to their current policies on their website, you will see that the narrow doors are in reference to people with scooters that book standard cabins, not accessible cabins.

As far as “accessible” cabins being for people with mobility issues, that is fairly standard. The cruise lines offer different types of HC cabins for other types of disabilities. Again, looking at NCL website, they list different options for deaf, blind and other conditions.

Umbarger – I would not hesitate to send the letter back and suggest that they may have made an error or that you would like verification of the door widths in the “accessible” cabins.

Betty