Taxi info Papeete from dock to airport

CRUISERTN

We will be on the Oceania Marina arriving Papeete at 3AM. We have a flight home at 10AM, so we plan on leaving the ship at 6AM to go to the airport. How far is it from the cruise dock to the airport, and what is the approximate taxi fare? Will taxi drivers take US dollars or Euros? Will taxis be available at that time? Ship's transfers are $129 pp, which seems quite expensive, especially if the airport is not far away. Thanks in advance for any info.

We will be on the Oceania Marina arriving Papeete at 3AM. We have a flight home at 10AM, so we plan on leaving the ship at 6AM to go to the airport. How far is it from the cruise dock to the airport, and what is the approximate taxi fare? Will taxi drivers take US dollars or Euros? Will taxis be available at that time? Ship's transfers are $129 pp, which seems quite expensive, especially if the airport is not far away. Thanks in advance for any info.

You can arrange for a taxi to pick you up at a time specific in the early morning--make your arrangements the day before--it's worked for us.

Nancy:D:D

Seal - have you heard of Carl Emery with Carl's Transport and Tours? He has responded to my email and was wondering if you have ever used him?

Has anyone used him? My main concern is reliability- making sure he will show up.

Seal - have you heard of Carl Emery with Carl's Transport and Tours? He has responded to my email and was wondering if you have ever used him?

Has anyone used him? My main concern is reliability- making sure he will show up.

Not familiar to me--I was VERY concerned last trip about getting to the airport early--don't want to wait in those long lines--can't remember who I contacted but it worked--another time someone just went to the main street on the side of the pier and got a taxi quickly--usually still dark at that time. Somehow it works out SO FAR .

You have plenty of time. Once you get up early 6am, ask the reception to call you a taxi. The fare is about $25 USD from the ship to the airport. Sometimes they will allow the taxi to come right up next to the gangway but the ship might want a sur charge. If they won't let the taxi in you will have only a short walk to the gate with your bags.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Thanks, Tiki- have you heard of Carl Emery with Carl's Transport and Tours? He responded promptly to my email. Although his rate is a little higher than you mentioned, it would be nice to have someone waiting at the dock for us. My concern is reliability - making sure he shows up. Was thinking if he is a no-show at 6AM, we would still have time to get a taxi...but would rather have someone already there, even if it means paying a little more. Just wondering if anyone has used him or knows of him. I have read a few good reviews but they have not been written recently.

We will be on Pacific Princess. The ship dock in Papeete at 8pm.

1. How early can we get off the ship the next morning? Our flight is 7:50am.

2. Once we get off the ship, do we have to go through immigration/custom in the cruise terminal in Papeete?

3. How easy is it to find a taxi from the Papeete cruise terminal to the international airport around 4:50am?

Thanks very much!

Ask reception to schedule you a taxi for 4:50 am. Call later to confirm they have done so.

There is no customs to clear during debarkation of the ship.

You will pay double fare for a taxi at the time of day, figure $40-$45 USD. They will accept USA money.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

• 2 weeks later...

Princess said they will not let you off that early to catch a 8 AM flight. They suggested leaving the ship the night before and getting a hotel. Now that was corp office, not sure what the ship would allow.

Edited by rhsjr

Princess had no problem letting us off about 4:30 am to go to the airport--I had arranged to be picked up by someone I can't remember--Anyway it worked a van was there and happy to take us to the airport--you can also hail a cab on the busy street to the side of the ship. Crew is ready at the stairs for exiting--I think our luggage was out front on the street.

• 2 weeks later...

I called Princess and they said 8AM is the earliest to leave ship, but I agree that they should let us catch a 7:50 AM flight since the next one is 11:50 PM Is there a way to see what the ship will really allow you to do?

Must be something new .......... the AF flight is early am and it would be normal for ships to accommodate early departures.

This is one reason I always let the cruise line book the flights, takes a bunch of stress out of the equation.

I agree Tiki. Or, if you don't purchase flights through the cruise line, simply purchase ship transfers on the return to the airport. It's more expensive than taking a taxi on your own, but certainly takes the hassle out of how/if you'll get to the airport on time for your return flight.

Bettye

If you can leave the ship the night before and I understand the Route Sector Change request, if you leave the ship at 9:30 PM and get a ride to the airport, maybe there by 10 PM, can you make a 11:45 PM flight?

• 1 month later...

I will be taking the Ocean Princess next month. I have called Princess several times and they are allowing us to get off the night before. They said the ship docks around 9 and we should be getting off around 10 PM. We are taking the AF flight at 8:30 AM as we did not want to have to spend an entire day there. We completed the Route sector and are planning to get a taxi back. Would the taxi be more expensive after 10 PM? How safe is the airport at night? Should we reserve one or are they waiting as the ship docks? Thanks

Edited by aa1113

Are you saying you want to spend the night at the airport? :confused: If so, I'm not sure you can do that. I'd suggest you call Beni at Fare Suisse and see if he can put you up for one night. He picks you up at the pier and will take you to the airport the next morning. He's currently charging 85 Euro's/night but that includes his service as a taxi from the pier AND to the airport. We stayed there on our trip and enjoyed having a day before and after the cruise to see Papeete's market, Pearl museum and pick up last minute gifts. We were also on AF.......

While we had an extra day due to flight schedules, you could go there for a good night's sleep and leave first thing in the morning............

Edited by thyme2go

Don't worry about getting off the ship--just do it---I discussed this a few time with those that should know--they said they would try to help and that we weren't the only ones wanting to leave early......They didn't help at all--Don't worry--just do it--

Good Luck