Why cruise lines don't promote the Mississippi River?

Karlie1

This will be our 3rd trip down the Mississippi River. Once on Norwegian and once on Carnival and Carnival in November. I don't understand why the cruise lines don't promote this leg of the trip. I would bet 95 % of the people don't know that it is about 100 miles to the mouth. There is so much to see, not counting the History. No ship person has ever told us about the 100 miles, the towns, factories, ships, Oil Rigs etc. You would think the entertainment director or someone on the ships would host a seminar or hand out some kind of flyer or something. NADA! I would rather learn more about the Mississippi than visit Belize. A river cruise in Illinois that goes about a 100 miles cost 4-5 times more than our cruise. These cruises have very little to show or share. It would really be nice if one cruise line would depart at 8-9 in the morning so we could see the whole river to the mouth:(.

Correct, no financial benefit to the cruise line. Also, not much to really see in the dark except some light from the small communities, oil rigs and anchored ships. Much more to enjoy inside the ship on the first day of vacation.

If I want to see more of the river, I would stay and extra day and take a charter down the river.

It would be very nice to cruise down the river during daylight but there are many factors preventing this.

The ship would have to depart around 10 AM. Since it takes about 8 hours to fuel and load the ship they would have to do it the previous day because it is about impossible to get the longshoremen to work during the night.

This would require the ship to overnight in New Orleans as is done in a couple of ports in Hawaii and other places, which is not a bad idea, but then they would have to skip a port to remain on a 7 day schedule. I'm sure there are many people who would gladly spend an extra day in New Orleans instead of in Freeport or Belize if they could change the schedule every now and then.

Since most cruise lines have contracts with the ports for a few years ahead, it is hard to get them to change dates if you decide to do 8 day or other length cruises.

But, this would be a very enjoyable cruise for me and many other people as you could use the ship for your hotel the previous night before you debark and have time to enjoy the nightlife in New Orleans.

Are you listening, Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean?

No financial interest can't be the reason, since food is free on board and the shows are free, there is no direct benefit to those... I would consider taking a cruise that was more history intensive if it was offered since that is what I am interested in.

Well, speaking as someone who lives on the gulf coast, and, is in and out of refineries and chem plants on a regular basis...just get me the heck out of there and into blue water. Once you have seen one oil rig/tanker/platform you have seen them all.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

I totally agree that there should be more history given along with promoting this part of the cruise but I can't see that happening on cruise lines such as carnival, RCCL and Norwegian. We have cruised all of these lines many times and the very people selling shore excursions do not have a clue! I have been shocked by the lack of basic knowledge the crew has about ports but it isn't there fault. There aren't trained in this. We did take a Holland America cruise once and it was very different. They offered the history lectures and power points for those interested along with the typical cruise line entertainment. It was so refreshing to have this option.

Archived