Cancelling 3rd person in a Cabin - how late?

OnlyMe

We have 2 cabins booked for our upcoming cruise in July. We have 3 people booked in one room and 2 in the other (they are connecting cabins).

There may be a possibility that one of our party may not be able to sail but we will not know until nearer the time for various reasons.

My question is, how late can we leave it before we have to cancel the 3rd person in the cabin?

Thanks for any help

We have 2 cabins booked for our upcoming cruise in July. We have 3 people booked in one room and 2 in the other (they are connecting cabins).

There may be a possibility that one of our party may not be able to sail but we will not know until nearer the time for various reasons.

My question is, how late can we leave it before we have to cancel the 3rd person in the cabin?

Thanks for any help

For a US or Canadian booking, you can cancel up to 75 days before the cruise for a full refund. Under 75 days, there are varying amounts of penalty charged depending on how close to the cruise date you are.

Thanks very much for your replies. I emailed my TA and he has said its by final payment date but I will ask him to check with RCL again nearer then ... I really hope they will change to Xs rules on this

Sometimes TAs are wrong because they go by general guidelines. It's sad when you have to tell your TA certain things in which they should know sometimes. So true with rccl TA. I swear they have spin the wheel replies. You get different answers a lot of times with them. :D

Thanks very much for your replies. I emailed my TA and he has said its by final payment date but I will ask him to check with RCL again nearer then ... I really hope they will change to Xs rules on this

You have cruised with RCCL enought time's, you are Crown & Anchor, right? Call the C&A desk, they always seem to be the better trained staff:D with more reliable answers;) And tend to 'speak' with us enev when booked thru a TA.

Edited by wallie5446

Thanks guys,

Yes we are C&A - Platinum at the moment and will be Emerald after our next sailing :)

It never occurred to me to call C&A :o

Our TA is not a RCL TA so they won't talk to me re our reservation but C&A should surely advise me as you say wallie :) - it would be so much better for us if we can hold on to the 3rd person reservation until nearer to sail date

If there is going to be a charge for cancelling later and you already have the cabins booked what would be the downside of cancelling now and adding them back in once they can confirm?

The only thing I could think of is the risk that there are too many 3 person cabins and not enough singles so you might be unable to rebook them. It may be worth discussing it with that person to decide if they'd rather risk missing their vacation or being out the cash if they are unable to go.

Hmm, that may be an idea!

The two cabins are actually 2 connecting Promenade insides. They only take 2 people each BUT because one of those people is under 3 years old they CAN be booked as the third (hope that make sense).

The person that may not be travelling is an adult so I'm wondering would the safest bet be to cancel the baby and keep the adult booked and if the adult couldn't go then change the names OR if the adult could go then add the baby back in .... I'm thinking out loud here so this plan may be flawed?

The reason I'm saying cancel the baby rather than the adult is in the eventuality the adult would be travelling that RCL would see 2 people already in the cabin and not add an adult - easier to get them to add the baby back in iykwim

What is the latest date a passenger can be added to a booking assuming that the cabin accomodates an extra passenger does anyone know?

There is a downside to doing this, once the total bookings reach the max number of pax allowed, even if you have a cabin that will hold a 3rd or 4th, they can not add them! At least this is the way we found it is done on Celebrity when we cancelled our DD. Call C&A, they should tell you.

ps: not saying this is the case, but, the longer you wait to take this person off the resveration the less of the commision the TA has to give back:rolleyes:

I never thought of that wallie and its a definite possibility for our sailing as there are only 2 sail dates with our itinerary so I can see it selling well.

Re the TA having to give back less commission - is this if you go inside the final payment date or also outside of that:confused:

Thanks again everyone for your help

• 6 months later...

We have a similar problem with RCCL but we think it's our TA who is not behaving.

We have five people in two interconnecting cabins on the Oasis in November. The third person is now unable to go, so we asked the TA if we could just reduce the booking to 2 plus 2. The response from the TA (Thos Cook) is that we will lose our deposit of £150 (acceptable) but that the remaining two in the cabin will have to move from the D1 to a D6, and must pay the difference between the cost at the time of booking and the current price - several hundred pounds!

Told them to forget it and will talk to Crown and Anchor.

X we're happy just to take the deposit for the following cruise.

I just cancelled our DD about 10-15 days ago who was the 3rd in our cabin. Got the 100% refund, as Joe posted. Yes, as long as it is more than 14 days there is no penatity with X. One would think it would be the same with RCCL.

Looks like there's some hope/precedent - the RCI Cruise Contract (vaguely) indicates "The cancellation charge policies set forth above vary for single occupancy or for the third, fourth or higher occupants in a stateroom or for groups. Consult your travel agency or call Royal Caribbean for further details.".

Ken