VH category far forward on Oosterdam... noisy?

smalldog

Hi all, hope you can help me with a question... has anyone stayed in VH category staterooms on the Oosterdam? Do they get a lot of noise from the Vista lounge downstairs?

Or if you've been in those VF staterooms that are also directly above the Vista, did you notice a lot of noise coming through the floor?

I've always gone for rooms that have a stateroom sandwich both above and below, because I enjoy my Cone of Silence. ;-) Are you more likely to get noise when public areas are above your room, or below?

I'm also interested in any other comments you might have about those rooms. The balconies look small on the deck plan. Are they OK? Are they usable? Do you feel a lot of "motion in the ocean" being that far forward?? ;-) Have you ever been unable to open the balcony door due to sea spray on rough or windy days, etc?

Thanks so much for any feedback whatsoever.

I can't answer your noise question, but can tell you that the VH and deck 4 VF have the deepest side balconies on the ship (7.5 feet) with a solid steel railing rather than plexiglass, which means your view is limited when seated.

I doubt that there is much wind problem opening the door since it is 7.5 ft from the railing.

Yes, you feel more motion far forward, but less down low than up high.

If you book a VH guarantee, your chances of receiving a good upgrade are high because there's only four on the ship. In the 7 years I've been on CC I've only heard two people say they booked a VH Gty and were actually assigned one. When we did so once, we were assigned a stern VB.

Hi all, hope you can help me with a question... has anyone stayed in VH category staterooms on the Oosterdam? Do they get a lot of noise from the Vista lounge downstairs?

Or if you've been in those VF staterooms that are also directly above the Vista, did you notice a lot of noise coming through the floor?

I've always gone for rooms that have a stateroom sandwich both above and below, because I enjoy my Cone of Silence. ;-) Are you more likely to get noise when public areas are above your room, or below?

I'm also interested in any other comments you might have about those rooms. The balconies look small on the deck plan. Are they OK? Are they usable? Do you feel a lot of "motion in the ocean" being that far forward?? ;-) Have you ever been unable to open the balcony door due to sea spray on rough or windy days, etc?

Thanks so much for any feedback whatsoever.

We have been in 4010 (a couple doors down the VH) twice, on Noordam and Zuiderdam and experienced almost no noise from the Vista Lounge, apart from maybe a grand finale of a show, but nothing late!

I can't answer your noise question, but can tell you that the VH and deck 4 VF have the deepest side balconies on the ship (7.5 feet) with a solid steel railing rather than plexiglass, which means your view is limited when seated.

I doubt that there is much wind problem opening the door since it is 7.5 ft from the railing.

Yes, you feel more motion far forward, but less down low than up high.

If you book a VH guarantee, your chances of receiving a good upgrade are high because there's only four on the ship. In the 7 years I've been on CC I've only heard two people say they booked a VH Gty and were actually assigned one. When we did so once, we were assigned a stern VB.

That's handy to know about the steel railing. Thanks!

I was wondering about the upgrade, too, because I noticed there were only four of them. I usually go for something central as I don't much like the roller coaster (and my mother is 80 and would rather the floor didn't move too much ;) ), but it's a last minute cruise special for December that I'm looking at, and they're offering a special on VH and VD...

Thanks again for the answers.:)

We have been in 4010 (a couple doors down the VH) twice, on Noordam and Zuiderdam and experienced almost no noise from the Vista Lounge, apart from maybe a grand finale of a show, but nothing late!

Thanks for that. I was thinking that if you had to be over a public area, the Vista lounge might be one of the better ones... at least it doesn't go all night or anything! :)

Did you find the motion unpleasant that far forward? The cruise I'm looking at goes across the Tasman Sea, and both times I've done it before it's been 2 or 3 days of rock-n-roll.

Thanks for that. I was thinking that if you had to be over a public area, the Vista lounge might be one of the better ones... at least it doesn't go all night or anything! :)

Did you find the motion unpleasant that far forward? The cruise I'm looking at goes across the Tasman Sea, and both times I've done it before it's been 2 or 3 days of rock-n-roll.

One was a TA, other Panama Canal, both with perfect weather, so can't help you there.

We've been that far forward and up on deck 8 for three cruises, and only for a couple of hours on the Baltic was the motion enough to bother my DH (but not me). But - it is the rolling rather than the pitching that bothers him. The pitching is about the same on all decks, while the rolling gets worse the higher you are.

Archived