anyone experienced having Mykonos cancelled? When and was it replaced by Crete?

youngreflection

Hi! I just read a review of an East Med cruise wherein Mykonos was cancelled and replaced with Crete. I think the cruise was around late May or early June based on the review. May I ask who else has experienced this and around what month was it? And if Mykonos was also replaced by Crete? My reason for asking is because aside from taking the Celebrity cruise, we also plan to book a trip to Crete from Athens (Crete is not part of the 11 day East Med cruise we are eyeing). Any information or reply will be appreciated. Thank you.

We just got off the eastern Med and had no problems docking in Mykonos. The ship either docks or does boat tender so I am surprised it was cancelled on a previous cruise since there are two options. The waters are Mykonos are rather calm so tender shouldnt be a problem. It was definitely a favorite port among many on the ship and definitely would be in May as that is the start of their beach season.

The waters are not always calm, I've heard of stops in Mykonos being cancelled because the seas were too rough to tender. There is only provision for one ship to dock so if a ship is already in the dock, tendering is the only option.

Having said that I think it's very infrequent that this would happen and hopefully you'll be the first/only ship in, in which case you'll get to dock anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much about Mykonos being cancelled.....however, I have had it cancelled once due to high swells (on Seabourn) and once we got stuck in port overnight due to high swells (on Crystal). When Mykonos was cancelled, we overnighted in Athens instead.

Like I always say, don't go on a cruise for port calls to happen without incident. Anything is possible =)

Michael

Happy to hear that :D coz planning to buy plane tickets for Crete and was worried we might do Crete "twice" (and spend for tickets unnecessarily). Thank you for the info:)

Nothing wrong with doing Crete twice. One port day in Crete is just scratching the surface. Buy the tickets, you'll have a wonderful trip. I had almost a week in Crete and it still wasn't enough time. So much to see and enjoy.

No problems with Mykonos in August. Very nice island, if you want to relax book St. Johns ressort - awesome!

Crete is worth a visit for sure but if i could choose between "2x crete" or "1x crete and 1x mykonos" I would know what to choose ;)

They should keep the itinerary, changing ports is not a regular thing so don't worry.

Archived