Toddler friendly activities on each island

rainrain

Hi, we're taking our 2 year old on POA in Nov, and have been looking for activities that are suitable for 2 year olds. Would you please help recommend some shore excursions that are suitable, and anything that's on board the cruise?

Thank you so much!

The Yellow Submarine that's offered on most islands, whale watch tour in Maui/Lahaina, you also have a fantastic aquarium in Maui which you could tie into whale excursions Also tons of beaches. As for the ship, if you stay on board you will practically have the ship to yourself.

Hawaii is very port intensive cruise and expensive for most people because of flight's etc. so therefore most people are off ship on excursions.

We like this cruise and always do b2b and only get off at one or two of our favorite islands but love the quietness of the ship.

Personally I'm not so sure I'd be taking a two year old on most excursions in Hawaii because they are so long. Your also on smaller buses and vans so you need to be aware that there are others on the same tour that don't want to hear a child crying. JMO

Thank you very much for you suggestions. We are thinking about ocean center and maybe stay at one beach in Maui. Do you have any particular beach in mind that would be a good fit for a 2 yo? I heard about baby beach at Baby Beach at Baldwin Beach Park or Wailea beach for the easy access to facilities. But not sure if any thing else would be better.

Long hours on the road and long day trip with a group are two main things that I'm trying to avoid given that babies are unpredictable and challenging enough if we're only keeping her to ourselves. We may rent a car on some of the islands, e.g. Maui for the ocean center or some petting zoo. Do you have suggestions on other islands that we could consider taking her? Submarine and whale watch tour would both put us with a lot of other people that we would hesitate to inconvenient. If we stay on the ship, do you know if most facilities would be open? It might be good to do that for a couple of days to relax.

Thank you again for your kind thoughts!

The Yellow Submarine that's offered on most islands, whale watch tour in Maui/Lahaina, you also have a fantastic aquarium in Maui which you could tie into whale excursions Also tons of beaches. As for the ship, if you stay on board you will practically have the ship to yourself.

Hawaii is very port intensive cruise and expensive for most people because of flight's etc. so therefore most people are off ship on excursions.

We like this cruise and always do b2b and only get off at one or two of our favorite islands but love the quietness of the ship.

Personally I'm not so sure I'd be taking a two year old on most excursions in Hawaii because they are so long. Your also on smaller buses and vans so you need to be aware that there are others on the same tour that don't want to hear a child crying. JMO

First let me say thanks for not taking what I said personally.

On that note the renting of the car is probably the best as you can take your time, cut the drive short if you have to. Not knowing where your from the islands are pretty easy to maneuver, there are lots of maps and routes for all the islands and places of interest to map out. If you already own a gps then bring it along but don't waste your money on renting one with the car, the car rental place will all have easy to read maps.Here is one link to get you started http://www.gohawaii.com/ you'll see all the islands, travel tips and Hawaii guidebook.

Your sailing in Nov. so all the excursions will be up for all the islands go through each and see what tweaks your interest and look at the level and read some review that are listed on the excursion. Google till your hearts content there is so much info on Hawaiian Islands.

The Hawaiian are very safe not like some American big cities, people are extremely friendly and very helpful as they know that tourists is their #1 industry, its no longer sugar cane and pineapples.

Come back and ask questions and use the search engine by going back to main Hawaii page and on the right side you'll see "search this forum" then put in key word such as "Kauai" you'll then see dozens of pages of info, read the titles and the ones that are of interest read through them.

Lastly pack a collapsible cooler bag like a six or 12 pack size to take with you when you go off ship grab fresh fruit of the buffet, containers of milk, the small cereal boxes, take zip lock bags and fill with ice at the buffet ice machine, look at the room service the night before and order some sort of sandwiches, hold the ask for no mayo and if you want tomato take it the sandwich and wrap it separately, you can never have enough small and large zip locks, take them out of the boxes and put an elastic around them to take up less space. Empty out you mini frig and take a plate full of what ever back to you cabin put in bag and stick in the frig, things like cheese.s etc.

There is no worry about taking food off ship as your not sailing international waters.

As for baby beaches I have no idea as we aren't water people but rather sun goddess

We have never cruised the Hawaiian Islands, but have vacationed there with our children as soon as they were old enough to fly. I don't think you can beat Waikiki Beach for a fun, safe beach for young children, maybe even an outrigger ride. Hanauma is also a good spot to spend the day where he/she can see lots of fish. We are not fans of Sea Life Park but enjoyed the Aquarium in Waikiki. You might also consider the Bishop Museum.

On Maui our kids always enjoyed the snorkel boat trips, plus spending a day at Kaanapali Beach. Besides snorkeling alongside Black Rock, it's fun to watch the divers and jumpers. And taking the Pineapple Train is fun.

You might consider one of the floats that have a "mask" window in them to observe the sea. Have a good flotation device that YOU are comfortable with. We most often used floaties but there are some nice flotation vests available at marine stores that are great for little ones in the water and on tenders. And, we found on a Caribbean cruise that we used one of these instead of the provided life vest because the cruise line provided child's vest was really too large for our child.

Check out trekaroo.com for other suggestions.

Your 2 year old is going to enjoy everything. Pack a soft cooler that you can take with you for snacks and drinks. Have a great time, Cherie

We're taking a 3yo (will turn 4 on the ship) so all of the recommendations are great.

Our youngest was 4 when he learned to surf in Lahaina. There is a really protected beach by the pier where beginner surf lessons are given. It's also a good beach to spend the day, and you can walk to the restaurants in Lahaina or get take out. Have a great time, Cherie

Archived