Cab question for ISA

sharks48

Does it make sense to walk across to Punda to get a cab to, say, Jan Thiel Beach, rather than getting one from the pier? Specifically, does this save any money? We're also considering taking the public bus, since we have plenty of time and that can be fun. But I was just curious about taking a cab from that side of town.

I've enjoyed reading all of your info on Curacao and found it very helpful.

Thank you!

Does it make sense to walk across to Punda to get a cab to, say, Jan Thiel Beach, rather than getting one from the pier? Specifically, does this save any money? We're also considering taking the public bus, since we have plenty of time and that can be fun. But I was just curious about taking a cab from that side of town.

I've enjoyed reading all of your info on Curacao and found it very helpful.

Thank you!

My pleasure!

Getting a cab in Punda will save you only a couple of dollars. I wouldn't do that just to save money.

Taking the bus can indeed be fun, is perfectly safe and will save you $$.

The public bus will take you directly to Jan Thiel beach / Zanzibar.

Have a great cruise!

Isa, I can't wait to get off the bridge. 5-6 years ago I never had a problem, we would stand and take pictures, wasn't it rebuilt ?

They're replacing parts of the bridge every so often. It has been taking away fro some months in the past and in the last couple of weeks they have been replacing the walking board.

But for the best pictures, you have to get on that bridge - swaying or not.:D

This is for curacoqueen and isa....

How far from the ship is Baoase? Can we walk there or is a bus or cab a better option? I'd rather spend the money on dinner than transportation to get there if possible. Is it far from Kokomo? One other question, sorry. Is it worth the money and is dinner actually ON the sand? (not just sitting on a patio in front of the water) I know, that was 2 questions :o

Just a heads up - Isa65 has been banned temporarily from Cruise Critic for giving specific advice (I'm FB friends with her). Locals are not supposed to endorse certain restaurants etc.

While I think this is slightly ridiculous, these are the rules and everyone should stick to them.

Just a heads up - Isa65 has been banned temporarily from Cruise Critic for giving specific advice (I'm FB friends with her). Locals are not supposed to endorse certain restaurants etc.

While I think this is slightly ridiculous, these are the rules and everyone should stick to them.

This is very ridiculous :mad:

I'm backkkk!!! Thanks for this, Riemercruisin.

I know exactly who's been reporting me and it is really ridiculous. I don't own any restaurants, taxi companies, hotels or shops and still am not allowed to give specific advice because of 1 single person.

But I will continue to help out as much as I can because I love my island and want everyone to see how amazing Curacao is!

I'm backkkk!!! Thanks for this, Riemercruisin.

I know exactly who's been reporting me and it is really ridiculous. I don't own any restaurants, taxi companies, hotels or shops and still am not allowed to give specific advice because of 1 single person.

But I will continue to help out as much as I can because I love my island and want everyone to see how amazing Curacao is!

Are you kidding Isa, you give the best info on here, I wish I visited there more to give more precise info. You are an asset to this forum. Have you been on the Trip Advisor forum?I am A DE on the Curacao forum.

Are you kidding Isa, you give the best info on here, I wish I visited there more to give more precise info. You are an asset to this forum. Have you been on the Trip Advisor forum?I am A DE on the Curacao forum.

Thanks, I do appreciate this, curacaoqueen!

I'm not very active on TA (I'm Myrouck over there) as I'm a cruise addict:D.

Plus, there are many many experts on the island on TA - so there is always prompt and accurate advice.

Thanks, I do appreciate this, curacaoqueen!

I'm not very active on TA (I'm Myrouck over there) as I'm a cruise addict:D.

Plus, there are many many experts on the island on TA - so there is always prompt and accurate advice.

I have seen your posts, I'm ralphy57 and I'm pretty sure I was the second DE on the forum, a friend who lives there nominated me way back.I have never cruised and never will, I checking here and giving any help I can, but you are great here.

I have seen your posts, I'm ralphy57 and I'm pretty sure I was the second DE on the forum, a friend who lives there nominated me way back.I have never cruised and never will, I checking here and giving any help I can, but you are great here.

Ralphy57!! You're a female!! I didn't know....:D Great advice from you all the time on TA, good job!

The reason I'm mostly here is (like I said), I cruise often and love it. So, I kind of know what the cruise guest expects while in port and I try to maximize their enjoyment in the short period of time they're here.

Too bad the airlift situation is really hurting the land vacation guests nowadays....

ISA: So glad to see you back! Your info is fantastic - so sorry that some people evidently don't appreciate it....

I have another question for you. We were thinking we'd go to Jan Thiel Beach by bus, but might want to consider going to some west side beaches by bus. I can't find the thread that has info on that, so I'm wondering whether you can help us. We don't really want to spend "all day" on a bus, but we thought perhaps Blue Bay might be doable. Could you tell us which bus we'd want to take for that?

I'm still a bit confused about the two kinds of buses, but I guess we'd figure it out once we're there.

Again, thanks so much for all the terrific help you provide.

I'll try to explain it in a more simple way.

A) You can take a public bus to Jan Thiel beach or Seaquarium beach (East side) very easily. Bus depot is behind the main Postal Office (15 minute walk from the ship).

B) You can take a public bus to the Western side for the nicer beaches. Bus depot is 5 minute walk from ship when you walk past Starbuck's and The Cinemas.

HOWEVER, the only beaches the bus stops at are Westpunt, Jeremi and Lagun.

The bus will NOT take you to Blue Bay (it might leave you at the entrance and then it's a loooong walk to get to the beach).

Porto Marie and Cas Abao are neither reachable by public transportation.

Personally, I would not risk it by going to the Western side with public transportation. It's a loooooong ride and with traffic, road construction, busses with flat tires, there is a real chance you could miss the ship.

The only way I would go to the Western side while on a cruise is if the ship was in port for long hours and then by taxi, sightseeing tour or rental car.

Ralphy57!! You're a female!! I didn't know....:D Great advice from you all the time on TA, good job!

The reason I'm mostly here is (like I said), I cruise often and love it. So, I kind of know what the cruise guest expects while in port and I try to maximize their enjoyment in the short period of time they're here.

Too bad the airlift situation is really hurting the land vacation guests nowadays....

Isa, that was a good chuckle,I am totally female. Hubby and I were there this past May, we got really good airfare, wish it would come down, the prices are affecting vacations for fliers. I check now and then on AA. Next time we are there we will for sure have to meet. My given name is Laurie.

I'll try to explain it in a more simple way.

A) You can take a public bus to Jan Thiel beach or Seaquarium beach (East side) very easily. Bus depot is behind the main Postal Office (15 minute walk from the ship).

B) You can take a public bus to the Western side for the nicer beaches. Bus depot is 5 minute walk from ship when you walk past Starbuck's and The Cinemas.

HOWEVER, the only beaches the bus stops at are Westpunt, Jeremi and Lagun.

The bus will NOT take you to Blue Bay (it might leave you at the entrance and then it's a loooong walk to get to the beach).

Porto Marie and Cas Abao are neither reachable by public transportation.

Personally, I would not risk it by going to the Western side with public transportation. It's a loooooong ride and with traffic, road construction, busses with flat tires, there is a real chance you could miss the ship.

The only way I would go to the Western side while on a cruise is if the ship was in port for long hours and then by taxi, sightseeing tour or rental car.

Thanks Isa.

Our ship will be in port 8 - 6pm. We really would like to do the best (not too difficult though!) snorkeling. Do you think we should chance going to Porte Marie or Cas Abao via taxi? What time would you suggest we get the taxi back? Or can you recommend another good, closer snorkeling site for us?

Thanks

Barbara

Thanks Isa.

Our ship will be in port 8 - 6pm. We really would like to do the best (not too difficult though!) snorkeling. Do you think we should chance going to Porte Marie or Cas Abao via taxi? What time would you suggest we get the taxi back? Or can you recommend another good, closer snorkeling site for us?

Thanks

Barbara

You can't beat Cas Abao or Porto Marie. With your times you can easily visit these beaches.

Bare in mind that the taxi rate will be around $40 per trip.

If your ship leaves at 6 pm, the very latest I would leave the beach is 4 pm.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Next time we are there we will for sure have to meet.

This sounds like a great plan! When you know your dates - pls contact me via Tripadvisor.

There are talks re a new airline to/from the US. Let's keep the fingers crossed!