Disembarking ship in Hawaii

cruise88cruise

Hi,

No...it would be a violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA)...as the cruise does not call at a distant foreign port...(I am guessing you are on the Grand Princess cruise)

Enjoy Hawaii...it is wonderful !

Woody

Even if you have a emergency you can't get off the ship at the nearest port?

You can of course get off the ship in any port, but if you get off a foreign flag ship in a different port than you embarked (without calling at a distant foreign port), the cruise line is liable for a fine from US Customs of $500/person. All cruise lines pass on this fine to the passenger. You will also not get any refund for the unused portion of the cruise. You can appeal the fine to Customs, but you need to document the emergency and it takes a lot of effort.

I'll let someone else with more expertise in the PVSA answer(see above)...I am sure there are waivers/emergency exigencies (besides the National Defense waiver)...but I am no expert. Perhaps you can enquire from CBP.

If there's a death in the family (say a close member of your family), you'll be able to send a death notice to the CPB, but anything else would have to be a certifiable emergency that you'll be able to document. If not, the cruiseline will be fined and that will be passed on to you. And you'll be risking the cruiseline banning you from future cruises with them.

And I wouldn't try just simply missing the ship while in port. The above will apply and your belongings will be still on board (you'll look mighty suspicious taking a suitcase off to sightsee).

Archived