A question on Cancelled Tours

joybook

We are planning to do Beunos Aires to LA on Golden Princess in 2015. I have noticed on a number of threads that there is a distinct possiblility that for either weather conditions or political reasons (particularly the Falklands) the ship may not dock at certain ports.

Has anyone had experience getting their money back from tour operators for pre-booked tours (non-ship tours) when the ship cannot dock at a port for some reason. At this stage probably the main tour would be with Patrick Watts in the Falklands but of course there may be others also. I am assuming that if it was a ship organised tour you would get your money refunded.

Would appreciate your responses.:)

Patrick Watts tour was THE BEST TOUR EVER! Can't say enough good things about Patrick & his crew. We didn't pay Patrick til we were at lunch, by the penguins. I believe Patrick would be the first to tell you no tour/nothing owed. He's probably had a number of ships cancelled if not for political reasons then weather. He's a standup guy. Hope you are able to make the tour.

In Valparaiso, we had to cancel (with essentially no notice) a tour & transfer booked with About Chile. This was necessary when many things, including flight schedules, were disrupted by the Chilean earthquake of 27 Feb. 2010. About Chile would not accept the payment that we tried to give them. When we got back to Valpo and Santiago in Feb.-March 2013, we again booked with About Chile, and were pleased with their service.

John

Whether you prepay and get your money back .... or not ... depends on the tour company.

All ships tours we did not take because the port was cancelled or because we changed our mind (before the deadline) were reimbursed without problem and automatically.

Count me in also as a huge fan of the Patrick Watt tour. Fantastic day with the penguins and on my tour also money was collected when we stopped for lunch, Book as early as you can with Patrick, it is a real bargain compared to the ships tour.

FYI I would also rank it right at or near the top of all the tours I've taken anywhere

We have booked private excursions in the Falklands and in Puerto Madryn. The ship is sailing to one or the other, we don't know yet. Both companies ask for payment at the time of the tour, no deposit is given. The two companies are Estancia Excursions in the Falklands and Forastero tours in Puerto Madryn.

Count me in also as a huge fan of the Patrick Watt tour. Fantastic day with the penguins and on my tour also money was collected when we stopped for lunch, Book as early as you can with Patrick, it is a real bargain compared to the ships tour.

FYI I would also rank it right at or near the top of all the tours I've taken anywhere

Hi, I agree wholeheartedly with DougH and other comments about Patrick

We are planning to do Beunos Aires to LA on Golden Princess in 2015. I have noticed on a number of threads that there is a distinct possiblility that for either weather conditions or political reasons (particularly the Falklands) the ship may not dock at certain ports.

Has anyone had experience getting their money back from tour operators for pre-booked tours (non-ship tours) when the ship cannot dock at a port for some reason. At this stage probably the main tour would be with Patrick Watts in the Falklands but of course there may be others also. I am assuming that if it was a ship organised tour you would get your money refunded.

If you call in at Ushuaia, have you looked at Pira Tours trip to WALK amongst 2 types of penguins (Magellanic and a small number of Gentoo) on Martillo Island. The ships excursions usually only beach their catamaran on the island, but with Pira you get off and see them up close. They only allow 20 visitors at a time on the Island. Unfortunately out of the $100 you have to pay up front, you have to take a risk of still having to pay $10 if the ship is not able to dock or tender, but we have been assured that we will get a refund of $90 if we don't make it.. If you do get to the Ranch from where their boat leaves from, you also have to pay about $10 entrance fee as well, but the trip and the experience of walking amongst the penguins for an hour is well worth the price

For a ship tour, they credit your account immediately. For private tours, as that question before booking. Many of the tours we are doing in Jan. we pay the day of the tour in cash US dollars. They want our dollars, and

make sure that the are unmarked and new, their bank will not take tattered money or really used bills.

Archived