something for nothing, always complaining

cabincop

I guess I`d like to say after 28 cruises 29th this friday ,and have cruised almost every cruise line but disney I always get on the ship with the same attitude I`ve probaly been on better ANd I know I`ve been on worse . BUT heh I can have fun on the S . S. Minnow just relax and enjoy it . There`s to many nit pickers looking for everything to be perfect . It`s a imperfect world ,HELLO. The staff are overworked , on every cruise line , and under paid SO RELAX , enjoy ,your on VACATION .

I totally agree with this also.

Unfortunately it's partly NCL's fault, because it seems that lately in some cases complaining here is the only way to get NCL to respond and people are taking an advantage of that.

And yet again I need to clarify: I'm not against complaints and detailed reviews themselves but the obivious tries to get (sometimes completely) unwarranted compensation by bringing the case public.

Agree!

And what we are reading is only what the OP is willing to share with us. Usually we don't get to hear NCL's side of the situation.

I appreciate all views and take most with a grain of salt. If I see something posted repeatedly, I know that is something I need to avoid, watch out for, etc. I also do believe NCL monitors these boards and if something is a true concern that can be addressed, I think they probably try and address it.

I don't expect room stewards to be at my beck and call, nor to clean up my mess. I try to keep room as clean as possible. If they just exchange out dirty towels, I am happy. I do like the towel animals too!! Nice touch! I also recognize not everyone is an extrovert and outgoing, so don't expect interaction from everyone.

And food, well, that's so subjective, can never please everyone. I'm sure we'll find something to eat that suits us! Same with enetrtainment, somelove it, some hate it, it's all personal preferences and eprsonal tastes.

I have no problem with the "critics", some give out some useful information.

debbie

I actually find that this mindset extends far beyond Cruise Critic. I find that the anonymity of the internet -- and the often negative culture that exists in message boards as a whole (not CC in particular) encourages people to hide behind screen names and then... well, whine. A few years ago, I wrote a book that in part covered this particular topic and somewhat ironically, the chapter discussing this (as opposed to the 11 other chapters on other topics regarding bad behavior in our society) was the one people attacked more than any other.

We, as a people, kinda like to complain. If you have a good experience in a restaurant, you may recommend that restaurant to others. If you have a BAD experience in a restaurant, you're going to talk about it endlessly to anyone who asks "So, how was your weekend?"

"Well, it was okay, but we went to this restaurant and had the most awful service..."

Richard/Tralfie

I can honestly say I have never had bad service on a cruise. I have always found something yummy to eat. I have always found something to do. When I have something that needs correction, I have always found someone to help me.

Have I ever ran into slower service, of course. But I'm on a cruise, there are other people who also need attention, I can wait my turn. We always tell our grandkids 'manners matter'. We try to practice what we preach. Please and thank you go a long way. Things will never be perfect, just roll with it. Have fun. Let the excitement begin! :D

We're about to take our 6th cruise on NCL and have had only one complaint....and 4 our of the 5 cruises so far were 14 days or longer. We had an experience on a NCL excursion in Stockholm where the operator just didn't do what every other excursion does and that is to ensure that passengers would be accounted for at the end of the excursion so as to know who or how many are missing, the person was just very careless. I reported this to our concierge, she checked it out, others had complained as well, and NCL gave us a refund of 25%.....a fair thing to do, so that was that. If we have a problem with anything we let our concierge know or let the HD know but we haven't had to do that at all.

We travel...whether by land or cruise....to enjoy, to see/meet people from other cultures, to taste new foods, see attractions, relax....we don't expect everything to be like it is in the US and we know that problems and mix ups do occur.

We see some really bad behavior onboard ships in particular, maybe more noticeable because it is a small community for the time on board. We are seniors, so can say that there are a lot of seniors who really give old people a bad name as our daughter says. Loud, rude, demanding, entitled, and boorish behavior by many of them.....and I can't see it as at this time in our lives it is heaven to be retired, on vacation in a beautiful setting, free to do whatever, and with no chores in sight. For heaven's sake, what's not like?!

I agree that the internet in particular has led to an increase in this kind of behavior, as it is anonymous and I guess some people feel some kind of superiority in being this way. Too bad.

It does seem as though people are complaining about lots of little things. However, as I often say, people are quick to complain and slow to compliment.

Have I had less than perfect experiences on some of my cruises? You bet. Did I let it ruin my vacation? Of course not. I had a waiter in one of the specialty restaurants spill a drink on me. We are all human, so it wasn't the end of the world, and it isn't like he did it on purpose--it was an accident. It was something like a rum and coke, so nothing that would stain, but it did get on my dress. I only wanted to get moved to a table with clean linens, because now ours was a wet mess. I only said something to my husband, but one of the other waitresses heard me, and the next we know, they moved us to a new table. I was happy with our waiter, but they gave us a new one. Could I have gone and complained later to try to get my dinner paid for? Yes, but they main thing I wanted was taken care of. The poor fellow felt bad, he apologized, I wasn't angry--we all make mistakes. Again, I was happy to keep him as our waiter, but I think when they moved us we were in someone else's "section". Sad, he was a great guy. We had an amazing meal that I still remember to this day, everything was cooked to perfection and tasted amazing.

I go on vacation to relax, not fret about every little thing. Are there things that need to be fixed while on a cruise? Yes, but not every little minute detail. If something was really wrong, yes, bring it to their attention so they can fix it, not just complain about it. Especially on newer ships like Breakaway, people complain constantly about the stewards not coming to the rooms when they think they should. When you leave a "dummy" key in the power slot, there is a light above your door that goes on, so the stewards think you are in there.

You really have to wonder what people's motives are when they complain. Do they want something corrected or are they looking to complain to get something for nothing. Hey, I received an upgrade for nothing, and I'm not complaining. :D

I appreciate all views and take most with a grain of salt. If I see something posted repeatedly, I know that is something I need to avoid, watch out for, etc. I also do believe NCL monitors these boards and if something is a true concern that can be addressed, I think they probably try and address it.

I don't expect room stewards to be at my beck and call, nor to clean up my mess. I try to keep room as clean as possible. If they just exchange out dirty towels, I am happy. I do like the towel animals too!! Nice touch! I also recognize not everyone is an extrovert and outgoing, so don't expect interaction from everyone.

And food, well, that's so subjective, can never please everyone. I'm sure we'll find something to eat that suits us! Same with enetrtainment, somelove it, some hate it, it's all personal preferences and eprsonal tastes.

I have no problem with the "critics", some give out some useful information.

debbie

I agree. I'm looking for bits and pieces of info that will help me make my overall cruise experience more pleasurable (avoid bad surprises, not miss the great stuff) and this site is a gold mine. I think it's nice to have a site where people can express themselves freely: either to vent or to praise. I don't mind. I mostly focus on what can be useful to me and let the rest slide (and of course I try to help others myself if I can!)

Archived