Single Supplement

You just can't compare a cabin to a hotel room. They don't feed you 24/7 in a hotel room. You should get some discount as solo. I sail with my hubby so this has no affect on us - I just think its not fair to the solo traveler.

You do get a discount as a solo.

You only pay the single supplement on the base cruise cost (not full cruise fare). So if your cruise fare is $999pp, $175 of that is probably NCCF which is not part of the single supp and therefore not doubled. So you'd pay $1823 vs. $1998.

Around 73% of rci's income comes from cabin bookings.

Income is different than profit. Most cruise lines break even on cabin bookings. They profit on shore ex, drinks, tours. specialty dining, onboard shopping etc.

And again, folks, RCI made it clear they were updating their pricing programs this weekend and that the reservations system was being worked on - SO STOP assuming anything will be correct until (at least) tomorrow.

"The remaining 27.4% of 2013 total revenues was comprised of onboard and other revenues, which increased $110.8 million, or 7.1%, to $1.7 billion in 2013 from $1.6 billion in 2012."

When you take out other, the obr would be 20% or less. Profit would not be determined until all expenses are subtracted from revenue

72.6% comes from cabin bookings for the first 9 months

I hope they fix this. My family just booked a cruise for next summer last week, My mom initially decided she didn't want to go. She changed her mind Friday night about 8pm but wasn't sure about her room type and what she wanted to pay. I went on line and priced out several different room types for her and we discussed where they would be compared to our rooms. Yesterday she called me to tell me what she had decided to do. This morning I go on-line and the room she picked is $300 more than it was Friday night. But the price of the room for 2 people hasn't changed. That's the same as it was Friday night. The entire increase is in the single supplement. :mad:

I hope they fix this. My family just booked a cruise for next summer last week, My mom initially decided she didn't want to go. She changed her mind Friday night about 8pm but wasn't sure about her room type and what she wanted to pay. I went on line and priced out several different room types for her and we discussed where they would be compared to our rooms. Yesterday she called me to tell me what she had decided to do. This morning I go on-line and the room she picked is $300 more than it was Friday night. But the price of the room for 2 people hasn't changed. That's the same as it was Friday night. The entire increase is in the single supplement. :mad:

You should call the cruise line, I believe not all cabin availability is online. The rep will have the cabin inventory.

. . . Income is different than profit. Most cruise lines break even on cabin bookings. They profit on shore ex, drinks, tours. specialty dining, onboard shopping etc. . . .

Not sure why the argument. I am not an accountant, but it seems to me it is damned hard to calculate profit without reference to income/revenue. 73% of revenue is going to be a pretty important piece of that calculation.

Archived