What's the cheapest rate you've seen for a signature suite?

engrstudent

Hi all, I've been watching the rates for the cruise I'm taking in December steadily come down. My wife and I are booked with a VF gty on the Nieuw Amsterdam but considering the rates for an SZ gty are now $999 pp I'm starting to think I might just pay to move up considering what we paid for our VF.

We have two options as I see it, let it ride and see if we get an upsell/upgrade or go ahead and make the jump now. Part of the decision rests on how low the SZ gty gets so I thought I'd poll the CC community on rates they've seen in the past. This cruise is the week before Christmas which is a great week to cruise IMHO as they always have a tough time filling the boat it seems. Thoughts?

I've paid as much as $899 pp to sail in a Spa Interior on the CCL Dream and was disappointed but i'm thinking a suite in that range on our favorite line will be a lot more satisfying.

Please report back and let us know if you're able to upgrade by paying just the difference in price. I asked a similar question a few days ago (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1932994) and the impression I got from the responses is that post-final payment, HAL is unlikely to let you pay the difference between your booked rate and the current rate for a higher-category cabin. I haven't had a chance to call and do battle with my TA yet, so I'd appreciate hearing how you fare if you try the same thing.

I may be on the same cruise you are on and have been tossing around the idea of upgrading.

After the last price drop, I called to enquire about upgrading from our VH assigned room to a VD GTY (was currently selling less than we paid for the VH). They said that we could not upgrade us to a GTY cabin, but they did assign us a VD cabin and gave us an on board credit equal to half of the difference between what we paid for our VH and the current price of a VD.

They offered to upgrade us to a SZ GTY for $175 per person. The going rate for the SZ was $225 more per person than we had paid on the final payment date.

The offer was extremely tempting, $350 to go from a standard sized verandah to a suite for 7 days comes to $50, and we decided that we would rather use the $50 for drinks, shore excursions, and other costs. I did however counter offer to see if they would upgrade us for $100 per person (and probably would have accepted $150 per person) but they said no.

I also asked about any sort of discount on upgrading to a Neptune Suite (as the amenities included there would probably be worth it to us), but they said they couldn't do any sort of discount on the Neptunes.

For now we are happy with the cabin we have, and we'll see if any other upgrade opportunities come closer to sailing, but wills top inquiring about them unless the price comes down again (though on this particular sailing I severely doubt there will be any more drops... it's already ridiculously cheap!)

Hope my experience helps in your decision making!

I may be on the same cruise you are on and have been tossing around the idea of upgrading.

After the last price drop, I called to enquire about upgrading from our VH assigned room to a VD GTY (was currently selling less than we paid for the VH). They said that we could not upgrade us to a GTY cabin, but they did assign us a VD cabin and gave us an on board credit equal to half of the difference between what we paid for our VH and the current price of a VD.

They offered to upgrade us to a SZ GTY for $175 per person. The going rate for the SZ was $225 more per person than we had paid on the final payment date.

The offer was extremely tempting, $350 to go from a standard sized verandah to a suite for 7 days comes to $50, and we decided that we would rather use the $50 for drinks, shore excursions, and other costs. I did however counter offer to see if they would upgrade us for $100 per person (and probably would have accepted $150 per person) but they said no.

I also asked about any sort of discount on upgrading to a Neptune Suite (as the amenities included there would probably be worth it to us), but they said they couldn't do any sort of discount on the Neptunes.

For now we are happy with the cabin we have, and we'll see if any other upgrade opportunities come closer to sailing, but wills top inquiring about them unless the price comes down again (though on this particular sailing I severely doubt there will be any more drops... it's already ridiculously cheap!)

Hope my experience helps in your decision making!

I think I'm going to give it until the end of the week and see where the fares are. I've been working a lot of overtime lately and may just splurge as a surprise to my wife. We've never had a suite of any type and usually are happy with even the smallest of interior rooms but I think this will be a good Christmas present!

The typical rule is if you ask, you will pay full fare. If HAL asks, you get a discounted fare.

Please explain what you mean exactly? :confused:

I mean, if you call HAL and ask for an upgrade, they will usually quote you the rack rate. If HAL calls you, they will offer, in most cases, a discounted fare.

Please report back and let us know if you're able to upgrade by paying just the difference in price. I asked a similar question a few days ago (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1932994) and the impression I got from the responses is that post-final payment, HAL is unlikely to let you pay the difference between your booked rate and the current rate for a higher-category cabin. I haven't had a chance to call and do battle with my TA yet, so I'd appreciate hearing how you fare if you try the same thing.

So I decided to just go ahead and book since some members of our role call said they were getting upsell offers to the SZ gty. My impression is that they had initially paid more so they were offered the upsell first which makes sense to me. It did make me feel however that HAL is now in the "move people up by upsell to free up more VH gty space rather than reduce the SZ gty price further" mode.

I called HAL directly (I don't have a PCC) and the agent was extremely helpful. I was easily able to move up from VF gty to SZ gty. She explained I had to pay the difference in published fare price all at once since the final payment date had been reached. I did question her about the double cruise day credit for suites. She took the time to contact the Mariner Society supervisor and confirmed that any time you pay a published fare amount for any level of suite you will get the bonus. Only by taking a special upsell offer which places your total fare below published fare will you not get the bonus. I only say this as I have seen some people confused in other threads. She ensured she had made notes in my booking to make sure I got the bonus

I casually mentioned that since I was taking an SZ gty that maybe I have a shot at a neptune suite upsell based on how the ship appears to be selling out. She obviously made no guaruntees or promises but her response to my comment seemed to provide a glimmer of hope that that was a distinct possibility. Maybe it's just wishful thinking...;)

All I can say is thanks HAL for answering my questions in a timely, professional fashion and making the jump as easy as possible!

So I decided to just go ahead and book since some members of our role call said they were getting upsell offers to the SZ gty. My impression is that they had initially paid more so they were offered the upsell first which makes sense to me. It did make me feel however that HAL is now in the "move people up by upsell to free up more VH gty space rather than reduce the SZ gty price further" mode.

I called HAL directly (I don't have a PCC) and the agent was extremely helpful. I was easily able to move up from VF gty to SZ gty. She explained I had to pay the difference in published fare price all at once since the final payment date had been reached. I did question her about the double cruise day credit for suites. She took the time to contact the Mariner Society supervisor and confirmed that any time you pay a published fare amount for any level of suite you will get the bonus. Only by taking a special upsell offer which places your total fare below published fare will you not get the bonus. I only say this as I have seen some people confused in other threads. She ensured she had made notes in my booking to make sure I got the bonus

I casually mentioned that since I was taking an SZ gty that maybe I have a shot at a neptune suite upsell based on how the ship appears to be selling out. She obviously made no guaruntees or promises but her response to my comment seemed to provide a glimmer of hope that that was a distinct possibility. Maybe it's just wishful thinking...;)

All I can say is thanks HAL for answering my questions in a timely, professional fashion and making the jump as easy as possible!

Personally, I think you did the right thing. I like to book at least an SZ, that way I get the double credit, plus every time (3) I have done so I ended up with an upsell offer to an SA for a great price! Of course, I normally book cruises in the "off season" when the cruises are not selling out.

DaveOKC

Archived