Panama Canal -- any significant difference between eastbound or westbound?

CowPrincess

Oh, then maybe I should not do this to you... How about you are on the "eastbound" cruise... CA to FL... Pacific to Atlantic... When you start your transit of the Canal, you are in the Pacific. No problem so far, you would think that you are at the most western portion of your voyage and when you reached Colon on the Atlantic/Caribbean side of the Canal you would be further east towards your final destination. Here comes the but... actually when you exit the Canal on the Atlantic/Caribbean side you are further west than you were in the morning in the Pacific. Hope the head can take another explosion;)! Not to worry, when you get to Florida... you will be further east than when you started:).

Panama is a place of geographical inconsistencies, I don't of anywhere else you can see the sunrise in the Pacific and set in the Atlantic.

I hope the day we do our transit isn't too cloudy so we get to see the sunrise and sunset.

For geography nuts... Another oddity is that Reno, Nevada is west of Los Angeles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I hope the day we do our transit isn't too cloudy so we get to see the sunrise and sunset.

For geography nuts... Another oddity is that Reno, Nevada is west of Los Angeles. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

And boy did I learn that the hard way once - planning a trip via private jet for a boss. I knew I was in trouble when he asked how strong my geography skills were!

For geography nuts... Another oddity is that Reno, Nevada is west of Los Angeles.

If your trip is in February then I think you should be in reasonably good shape to see a Pacific sunrise. Depending on what time they actually start up the channel there could be a couple of islands blocking the actual rise on the horizon. In any event it will be on the starboard side a little after six and you should be clear of the Canal well before sunset. I think there's a fairly good chance of not too many clouds in the evening as that time of year is the best chance of less cloudy skies.

I now remember that about Reno, I had forgotten though.

If your trip is in February then I think you should be in reasonably good shape to see a Pacific sunrise. Depending on what time they actually start up the channel there could be a couple of islands blocking the actual rise on the horizon. In any event it will be on the starboard side a little after six and you should be clear of the Canal well before sunset. I think there's a fairly good chance of not too many clouds in the evening as that time of year is the best chance of less cloudy skies.

I tend to research travel to death, thus this cruise is planned for the best time I could find for the least amount of rain. Thanks for the confirmation.

Me too. I think. I don't like three short nights, either.

I'll worry about it when the time comes.

We have relatives on both ends of the cruise so our transportation to and from the ships and airports will be provided by them. We prefer the east to west route for the flight portion since you gain three hours and arrive in back in CA at a reasonable time.

Archived