Update on Pouring Wines from the Sojourn

Nicho99

Just off the Sojourn on the 14 day Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale itinerary and here were most of the pouring wines.

Reds

Castillo Del Diablo Chile 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon

Columbia Crest Two Vines 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon

Penfolds Knoonuga Hills 2008 Shiraz/ Cabernet Sauvignon

Brasfield Round Mtn. Volcano 2006 Syrah

Anakena Chile 2012 Merlot

Sirius 2010 Bordeaux

Banfi Superior 2010 Chianti

Villa Maria New Zealand 2011 Pinot Noir

Les Trois Courdnnes 2011 Cotes de Rhone

Whites

Stags Leap Napa 2010 Chardonnay

Louis Latour 2011 Chardonnay

Robert Mondavi Private Select 2012 Chardonnay

Pacal Buuchad 2011 Petite Chablis

Oyster Bay New Zealand 2012 Sauvignon Blanc

Wingspan New Zealand 2012 Sauvignon Blanc

Gavi La Scolca 2012

Thanks for sharing!

Question and comments ... what exactly was the Louis Latour? Ardeche, Grand Ardeche or Bourgogne? Surprised to see that both Sauvignon Blancs were from New Zealand, no Pinot Grigio or Riesling on offer, and no Napa or Sonoma red wine.

Well, I was not as specific as I should have been. On the Louis Latour...it was the Ardeche. On the Pinot Grigio...Santa Margarita....but that is a given as is their champagne. I do not recall a Napa red wine only the Stags Leap Chard. I remember asking for a Riesling and declined. There was however a Prosecco that I failed to mention.

The usual suspects that are found on all Seabourn ships at present.

The better of the selection can sometimes run out as guests soon learn that only a few here are drinkable.

I had dinner last night with two American friends that have just returned from the Quest.They said that the wine selection was very poor and stuck to the Santa Margarita.

For my taste I could not drink any of the reds and only the Ardeche from the white selection.

Thank God there are good things on the wine list to buy.

Yes, they are generally the usual suspects. We find a few drinkable, though our usual nightly selection nowadays at home is New World wines in the £6 to £9 category, so not fine wine by any means. The ones I would suggest trying are (purely personal taste of course) the Villa Maria pinot noir, and possibly the Penfolds. In whites, we think the Oyster Bay sauv. bl to be far better than the slightly sulphury Wingspan - but I know many disagree - and the Louis Latour chardonnay is quite good; the Mondavi we find drinkable though a bit generic, as indeed they mostly are. There is a sweet wine available to go with puddings; we tend to forget to ask but it is not bad, whatever it is.

I do wish they would change their supplier, or at least give him a nudge to offer something different.

Most of those are familiar from the last 12 months on Seabourn.

We tend to order from the wine list at dinner, but usually have a glass from the included selection at lunch.

Of the reds, the only one I would drink is probably the Chilean Merlot, although I'm not familiar with this particular one. My husband wouldn't drink any of them.

Of the whites, the Louis Latour Ardeche Chardonnay, and possibly the Petit Chablis.

Sauvignon blanc isn't usually my favourite grape, but they did have a very drinkable Sancerre available on Sojourn in the summer. I'm sad to see that it hasn't made it to the regular pours list. We started off drinking the Louis Latour because we found it acceptable on our previous cruise, then on day two we tasted, and preferred, the Sancerre, so that's what we ordered every day afterwards.

Looking at those choices, if the Latour disappears we'll be ordering from the wine list at lunchtime too on our next cruise.

Of course one of the advantages of our mediterranean Quest cruise is that they were able to pick up some nice local wines in various ports.And even though (as I noted in my review of the wines on our cruise)we bought locally as well there was a decent malbec on the SB wine menu that I did not see on the list on this thread. Also missing from this list of usual suspects is the Cotes du Rhone they usually pour-- forget which one -- though I have not found it to my taste on previous cruises.

Archived