Question re. being past PIFD/military rate

CruisinCarps

So, a friend was considering joining us on our cruise coming up next month... I went to go see if there were still rooms available, etc. and saw there were. I also happened to see that balcony rooms are going for cheaper than what we paid with the military discount. I assume since we are paid-in-full that it is too late to get in difference in form of OBC? Before I booked, I was reading about different tips on how to save and saw in some articles that they recommended not waiting until last minute to book, that Carnival rewards those who book early, basically, and that holiday cruises often sell out, causing the price to go up. However, I am seeing this is not the case, for us at least. I know when I was on the phone talking to the Carnival rep, he quoted a price to me, saying after paying the deposit- X amount would be left over to pay. I questioned him on this because it sounded like we were not getting the military discount I was seeing online. He said that no, it was because the price reflected added-in taxes, fees, and the pre-paid gratuities we agreed to. However, when I looked online, under "Manage my cruise", it seemed he was incorrect. I swear I remember it being cheaper. Then, somebody posted in another thread about Carnival requiring a form filled out within 72 hours of the original booking in order to keep the military rate. We were not told this! The lady who booked us through Carnival told me we'd just have to show IDs when we were about to board. I am wondering if we lost that rate after the 72 hours passed because we were never asked to submit that form. However, we were still credited the $50 OBC for military bookings....:confused:

I am going to call Carnival to be *sure* that we did, in fact, get the military discount and see if they still need that form. However, I am coming to you all with the question as well, because you all had correct answers vs the person who originally booked us. (As in, she told us the wrong info regarding the first rooms we'd booked, she messed up our booking to the point that it got cancelled by their computer system, etc.)

Anyways, The price I am seeing right now is cheaper by almost $150 per person!! If this is the case, we will just wait until last minute next year if we decide to take the same cruise. That money could have cut airfare price in half and maybe we could fly instead of having to drive 12+ hours like we are this year.

So, a friend was considering joining us on our cruise coming up next month... I went to go see if there were still rooms available, etc. and saw there were. I also happened to see that balcony rooms are going for cheaper than what we paid with the military discount. I assume since we are paid-in-full that it is too late to get in difference in form of OBC? Before I booked, I was reading about different tips on how to save and saw in some articles that they recommended not waiting until last minute to book, that Carnival rewards those who book early, basically, and that holiday cruises often sell out, causing the price to go up. However, I am seeing this is not the case, for us at least. I know when I was on the phone talking to the Carnival rep, he quoted a price to me, saying after paying the deposit- X amount would be left over to pay. I questioned him on this because it sounded like we were not getting the military discount I was seeing online. He said that no, it was because the price reflected added-in taxes, fees, and the pre-paid gratuities we agreed to. However, when I looked online, under "Manage my cruise", it seemed he was incorrect. I swear I remember it being cheaper. Then, somebody posted in another thread about Carnival requiring a form filled out within 72 hours of the original booking in order to keep the military rate. We were not told this! The lady who booked us through Carnival told me we'd just have to show IDs when we were about to board. I am wondering if we lost that rate after the 72 hours passed because we were never asked to submit that form. However, we were still credited the $50 OBC for military bookings....:confused:

I am going to call Carnival to be *sure* that we did, in fact, get the military discount and see if they still need that form. However, I am coming to you all with the question as well, because you all had correct answers vs the person who originally booked us. (As in, she told us the wrong info regarding the first rooms we'd booked, she messed up our booking to the point that it got cancelled by their computer system, etc.)

Anyways, The price I am seeing right now is cheaper by almost $150 per person!! If this is the case, we will just wait until last minute next year if we decide to take the same cruise. That money could have cut airfare price in half and maybe we could fly instead of having to drive 12+ hours like we are this year.

They have our military info on file (or have us recognized as having submitted the form) so we do not have to submit each time. It is very possible that because you did not submit it, they may have re-fared your reservation.

For price drops after final payment you have to be booked Early Saver. We booked Early Saver and have had several price drops to Military, but once early saver, always early saver.

They have our military info on file (or have us recognized as having submitted the form) so we do not have to submit each time. It is very possible that because you did not submit it, they may have re-fared your reservation.

For price drops after final payment you have to be booked Early Saver. We booked Early Saver and have had several price drops to Military, but once early saver, always early saver.

They had ours on file but typical of Carnival, when we recently booked the military rate we had to send it again. This person told us they do not keep it on file. Getting a different answer from every person you talk to at Carnival is getting old!!! Wish they could figure this one out!!!

I'm sorry you were misinformed by the Carnival rep. Other cruise lines simply require military ID at check-in, but not Carnival.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

MILITARY OFFER

Cruise only rates are in U.S. dollars, per person, based on double occupancy. Government fees/taxes are additional for all guests. Offer is capacity controlled and is not applicable with any other discount or promotional offer. Normal individual deposit and cancellation policies will apply. Request farecode PM2. Qualifying active/retired US Military and Canadian National Defense members permitted to book one cabin. Verification qualifying the guest for Military rates must be submitted for reservations made definite with payment within: 72 hours, for reservations outside of 1 week prior to sailing and 24 hours, for reservations inside of 1 week prior to sailing. Failure to comply with this policy will result in Carnival rescinding the Military discount.

I recommend that you call Carnival ASAP and explain that you were never informed of this requirement. They may reinstate your military rate if you email (recommended) or fax the appropriate DD214 or LES statement immediately. I would not wait on this.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/militarytermsandconditions.aspx

The military promotion is available to the following members of the United States Military and Canadian Department of National Defense:

* Active Personnel

* Spouses of active Military personnel called to active duty or stationed overseas will be eligible to book one

cabin as long as the eligible spouse is occupying this cabin. The spouse must provide proof of eligibility by

submitting a copy of the official military orders and/or duties documentation and proof of marriage.

* Reserve Personnel

* Active Cadets

* U.S Coast Guard Personnel

* Active member of the National Guard

* Uniformed members of the USPHS (U.S Public Health Services)

* Retired Personnel

* Retired member of the National Guard

* Honorably Discharged member of the National Guard

* Veterans, defined as: Individuals who have actively served in the Military for at least two years or during a wartime period and have been honorably discharged.

RESTRICTIONS:

* Rates apply to qualifying military personnel who are permitted to book one stateroom.

* Retired military personnel may book one stateroom and must travel in this stateroom.

* Military rates are not applicable to: 1) employees of the Department of Defense/civilian personnel, 2) Military

Affiliates, and 3) Contractors for the military.

BOOKING PROCEDURES:

* The military personnel must submit verification of eligibility for confirmed bookings.

* Verification of eligibility includes one of the following:

* Copy of the military LES (Leave and Earning statement) – provided the social security number is blackened out.

* Copy of military retirement papers (DD214 or DD256)

* Copy of proof of honorable discharge (Form DD214)

* Proof for Cadets: A letter from his/her Commander or a copy of a military paystub, provided the social security

number is blackened out.

*Canadian Documentation:

• Copy of NDI 20 (Active Members)
  • Copy of NDI 75 (Members that have been honorably discharged and have served at least 10 years)

* Verification documents qualifying the guest for military rates must be submitted for confirmed reservations within

72 hours for cruises outside one week prior to sailing and 24 hours for cruises within one week prior to sailing.

* The Verification of Employment may be faxed, emailed or mailed to our Interline Desk

Email to: Interline@carnival.com

Fax to: (305) 406-6478

Mail to: Carnival Cruise Lines – Guest Services MSGP-456s

3655 N.W. 87 Avenue - Miami FL 33178-2428

* For reservations made Friday through Sunday for guests sailing that Saturday, Sunday or Monday, the Employment verification must be faxed to the Attn of: Reservations Supervisor; fax: (305) 406-7192.

I had to fax in a copy of my hubbys LES within 72 hours to get the military discount but we didnt get $50 obc!

Is that $50 obc standard for military?!

Also to get price drops you have to book "early saver" not valid with any other discount, our price dropped too but before we paid it off & they didnt give us the difference in obc :( still got an awesome deal though because now the price is way more than what we paid.

Interesting. All we had to do was cope my husbands id, but that was a while back. Haven't used the military rate in a while since ES was cheaper. We still ask every time though, which is the best deal.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

For price drops after final payment you have to be booked Early Saver. We booked Early Saver and have had several price drops to Military, but once early saver, always early saver. ___

This is our first time cruising with them so I had to rely on what she/he/they told me. I think the first lady was new though and the second guy just assumed she'd already told me. Well, I know now. (Man, what would we do without all you awesome Cruise Critic peeps?!)

Of course, *now* I know better, so I am gonna have to send the LES in. (And yep, will black out the SS#, thank you for reminding me HO HO. :))

I called Carnival this evening and she said we still have the military rate noted, but we could have possibly lost it at some point. She was very nice and helpful and gave me the direct number to the Interline office who handles this. So tomorrow (too late in the day now), I am gonna send this form in tomorrow to get it taken care of.

Also, from now on we'll book Early Saver or Super Saver maybe, but keep an eye on the rates as time passes because Carnival will match any lower price, for whatever discounts we qualify for, as long as it is same category, cruise, etc., and give us the difference in OBC, correct? :)

Oh well, live and learn!

Is that $50 obc standard for military?!

Al

I'm not sure. It is still being offered right now for fall and winter cruises, per stateroom.

Lastly, I checked again today and the cruise is back above what we paid, so I feel better...lol.

We have used the military rate twice before when booking through a TA. This time we booked through a PVP and he told me my DD214 wasn't on file. I found the e-mail where I had sent it in to Carnival and he said that lady doesn't even work for Carnival any more. He also said she should have put it in the system so that I didn't have to keep resubmitting it. Looks like each case is handled differently - as usual with Carnival.

We only had to send my husband's DD214 the first time we used military discount and have never had to since. They always have it on file. Also, the $50 is not an ongoing discount offered to military rates. That is just a special they are running right now.

No, the $50 OBC is NOT standard on all military bookings. That was just a "perk" on one of the deals that Carnival recently offered.

Some times Military is NOT the best deal, so you have to search out all the variables, and decide which is best for you, and the cruise you want to take.

I used to have to send in a copy of my DD214 each and every time I booked Military, but haven't had to do it for the last couple of years. I don't know if they actually keep it on file, or if they just look at your cruise record, and see that you've booked "Military" before.

In any case, THANK YOU for your service, and I'll see you aboard!

"SKY"

Archived